1.1rc4 problem with maildir++ quota and POP3

1.1rc4 problem with maildir++ quota and POP3

Laurent Papier
Hi,
it looks like there is a bug (in dovecot or in my config) with quota on maildir
mailboxes when accessed via POP3.

The maildirsize is not created when not already present (even after a DELE +
QUIT command). The quota limit (the first line of maildirsize) is not updated
if values are not in sync with those in the database.
If maildirsize is present, DELE commands are correctly reported in maildirsize.

maildirsize is correctly updated when the same mailbox is accessed in IMAP or
mail is delivered with dovecot LDA.

Here is my config. Timo 'dovecot -n' does not show the lda config part...

# 1.1.rc4: /etc/dovecot.conf
protocols: imap pop3
ssl_disable: yes
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable(default): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
login_executable(imap): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
login_executable(pop3): /usr/libexec/dovecot/pop3-login
login_greeting: please to meet you
login_greeting_capability(default): yes
login_greeting_capability(imap): yes
login_greeting_capability(pop3): no
login_processes_count: 100
login_max_processes_count: 512
max_mail_processes: 3072
mail_uid: 1000
mail_gid: 1000
mail_location: maildir:~/
mmap_disable: yes
maildir_stat_dirs: yes
mail_executable(default): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap
mail_executable(imap): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap
mail_executable(pop3): /usr/libexec/dovecot/pop3
mail_plugins(default): imap_quota quota
mail_plugins(imap): imap_quota quota
mail_plugins(pop3): quota
mail_plugin_dir(default): /usr/lib/dovecot/imap
mail_plugin_dir(imap): /usr/lib/dovecot/imap
mail_plugin_dir(pop3): /usr/lib/dovecot/pop3
imap_client_workarounds(default): outlook-idle
imap_client_workarounds(imap): outlook-idle
imap_client_workarounds(pop3):
pop3_client_workarounds(default):
pop3_client_workarounds(imap):
pop3_client_workarounds(pop3): outlook-no-nuls
auth default:
  user: nobody
  passdb:
    driver: sql
    args: /etc/dovecot-mysql.conf
  userdb:
    driver: sql
    args: /etc/dovecot-mysql.conf
  userdb:
    driver: prefetch
  socket:
    type: listen
    master:
      path: /var/run/dovecot/auth-master
      mode: 432
      user: mailonly
      group: mailonly
plugin:
  quota: maildir
  quota_rule2: Trash:storage=12288:messages=100

--- SQL queries ----

# prefetch auth
password_query = SELECT cpasswd as password, home as userdb_home, concat('*:bytes=',quotas,':messages=',quotai) AS userdb_quota_rule FROM `mail` WHERE email='%u'

# for delivery
user_query = SELECT home, concat('*:bytes=',quotas,':messages=',quotai) AS quota_rule FROM `mail` WHERE email='%u'

Laurent Papier - 03 88 75 80 50
Admin. système - SdV Plurimedia - <http://www.sdv.fr/>

Re: 1.1rc4 problem with maildir++ quota and POP3

Timo Sirainen
On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 17:58 +0200, Laurent Papier wrote:
> Hi,
> it looks like there is a bug (in dovecot or in my config) with quota on maildir
> mailboxes when accessed via POP3.
>
> The maildirsize is not created when not already present (even after a DELE +
> QUIT command). The quota limit (the first line of maildirsize) is not updated
> if values are not in sync with those in the database.
> If maildirsize is present, DELE commands are correctly reported in maildirsize.

Hmm. This happens because POP3 doesn't ask for the limit at any point.
Dovecot just thinks that if the maildirsize file doesn't exist, why
bother creating it since it can be left to be done later when something
actually wants to know the quota.

But I guess it should do the extra work anyway..:
http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-1.1/rev/2475c57fadb0

>   passdb:
>     driver: sql
>     args: /etc/dovecot-mysql.conf
>   userdb:
>     driver: sql
>     args: /etc/dovecot-mysql.conf
>   userdb:
>     driver: prefetch

prefetch is never called with this setup. You should put it before the
userdb sql.