All over sudden dovecot thinks FS is read only

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

All over sudden dovecot thinks FS is read only

Tobias-42
Hi list

I have to dovecot instances running which host my mailboxes on Centos7

dovecot.x86_64                      1:2.2.26.0-2.el7.centos
installed
dovecot-debuginfo.x86_64            1:2.2.26.0-2.el7.centos
installed
dovecot-mysql.x86_64                1:2.2.26.0-2.el7.centos
installed
dovecot-pigeonhole.x86_64           1:2.2.26.0-2.el7.centos
installed

all over sudden both dovecot "think" that the mailbox filesystem is read
only and fill the logs with

Oct 28 11:39:50 mbox1 dovecot: lmtp([hidden email]): Error:
ssY/MGZQ9FnoLgAAC4IaJw:2: sieve: failed to open logfile (LOGGING TO
STDERR): open(/home/vmail/brain-force.ch/tobster/.dovecot.sieve.log)
failed: Read-only file system

But a test at cli shows that I can write to the location

$ echo "test" >/home/vmail/brain-force.ch/tobster/.dovecot.test
$ cat /home/vmail/brain-force.ch/tobster/.dovecot.test
test
$ echo "test1" >/home/vmail/brain-force.ch/tobster/.dovecot.test
$ cat /home/vmail/brain-force.ch/tobster/.dovecot.test
test1

Mounts show that the FS should be rw
/dev/vda2 / ext4 rw,relatime,data=ordered 0 0

I restarted dovecot several time already. As well I restarted the
physical host on which the dovecot vms reside.

Filesystems are not full and are not running out of inodes.

Does anyone have an idea why dovecot suddenly behaves like that?

Thanks a lot for any hint
Regards

tobi
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: All over sudden dovecot thinks FS is read only

Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik
:2017-10-28T11:51:Tobi:

> Oct 28 11:39:50 mbox1 dovecot: lmtp([hidden email]): Error:
> ssY/MGZQ9FnoLgAAC4IaJw:2: sieve: failed to open logfile (LOGGING TO
> STDERR): open(/home/vmail/brain-force.ch/tobster/.dovecot.sieve.log)
> failed: Read-only file system
>
> But a test at cli shows that I can write to the location
>
> $ echo "test" >/home/vmail/brain-force.ch/tobster/.dovecot.test
> $ cat /home/vmail/brain-force.ch/tobster/.dovecot.test
> test
> $ echo "test1" >/home/vmail/brain-force.ch/tobster/.dovecot.test
> $ cat /home/vmail/brain-force.ch/tobster/.dovecot.test
> test1
>
> Mounts show that the FS should be rw
> /dev/vda2 / ext4 rw,relatime,data=ordered 0 0

Check filesystem permissions on the location. The user dovecot is
running under needs to be able to write there. Otherwise check dmesg as
well for any "remount" messages.

--
Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik
Geek/Hacker/Tinker

What use is magic if it can't save a unicorn?
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: All over sudden dovecot thinks FS is read only

Vlad K.
In reply to this post by Tobias-42
On 2017-10-28 11:51, Tobi wrote:
>
> Does anyone have an idea why dovecot suddenly behaves like that?
>

Since that's CentOS 7, I've heard SystemD tends to go mad (madder than
usual) and mount the service with readonly paths...


--
Vlad K.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: All over sudden dovecot thinks FS is read only

Aki Tuomi-2

> On October 28, 2017 at 1:12 PM "Vlad K." <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
> On 2017-10-28 11:51, Tobi wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone have an idea why dovecot suddenly behaves like that?
> >
>
> Since that's CentOS 7, I've heard SystemD tends to go mad (madder than
> usual) and mount the service with readonly paths...
>
>
> --
> Vlad K.

Check the systemd unit for ProtectHome, and make sure that is turned off.

Aki
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: All over sudden dovecot thinks FS is read only

Tobias-42
In reply to this post by Tobias-42
Hello list

I saw the response from Vlad in my queue (as dovecot was broken there
has been no delivery to mailbox) but after fix and queue flush Vlads
message does not show up in my mailbox.

> Check the systemd unit for ProtectHome, and make sure that is turned
> off.

Found these lines in unit file

> # Enable this if your systemd is new enough to support it:
> ProtectSystem=full

and after commenting the 2nd one, dovceot could write again to the FS :-)
Have no idea why this setting started to make problems just today :-)

Thanks so much for the fast help here

tobi

Am 28.10.2017 um 11:51 schrieb Tobi:

> Hi list
>
> I have to dovecot instances running which host my mailboxes on Centos7
>
> dovecot.x86_64                      1:2.2.26.0-2.el7.centos
> installed
> dovecot-debuginfo.x86_64            1:2.2.26.0-2.el7.centos
> installed
> dovecot-mysql.x86_64                1:2.2.26.0-2.el7.centos
> installed
> dovecot-pigeonhole.x86_64           1:2.2.26.0-2.el7.centos
> installed
>
> all over sudden both dovecot "think" that the mailbox filesystem is read
> only and fill the logs with
>
> Oct 28 11:39:50 mbox1 dovecot: lmtp([hidden email]): Error:
> ssY/MGZQ9FnoLgAAC4IaJw:2: sieve: failed to open logfile (LOGGING TO
> STDERR): open(/home/vmail/brain-force.ch/tobster/.dovecot.sieve.log)
> failed: Read-only file system
>
> But a test at cli shows that I can write to the location
>
> $ echo "test" >/home/vmail/brain-force.ch/tobster/.dovecot.test
> $ cat /home/vmail/brain-force.ch/tobster/.dovecot.test
> test
> $ echo "test1" >/home/vmail/brain-force.ch/tobster/.dovecot.test
> $ cat /home/vmail/brain-force.ch/tobster/.dovecot.test
> test1
>
> Mounts show that the FS should be rw
> /dev/vda2 / ext4 rw,relatime,data=ordered 0 0
>
> I restarted dovecot several time already. As well I restarted the
> physical host on which the dovecot vms reside.
>
> Filesystems are not full and are not running out of inodes.
>
> Does anyone have an idea why dovecot suddenly behaves like that?
>
> Thanks a lot for any hint
> Regards
>
> tobi
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: All over sudden dovecot thinks FS is read only

Aki Tuomi-2

> On October 28, 2017 at 1:41 PM Tobi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
> Hello list
>
> I saw the response from Vlad in my queue (as dovecot was broken there
> has been no delivery to mailbox) but after fix and queue flush Vlads
> message does not show up in my mailbox.
>
> > Check the systemd unit for ProtectHome, and make sure that is turned
> > off.
>
> Found these lines in unit file
>
> > # Enable this if your systemd is new enough to support it:
> > ProtectSystem=full

I recommend you leave this ON and instead set

ProtectHome=false

To enable writable /home

Aki
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: All over sudden dovecot thinks FS is read only

Tobias-42
Hi Aki

with the following in dovecot.service unit file

ProtectSystem=full
ProtectHome=false

my logs still fill with RO warnings.
Only if I remove the ProtectSystem (comment out) dovecot runs without RO
errors for the home.

Cheers

tobi

Am 28.10.2017 um 12:47 schrieb Aki Tuomi:

>
>> On October 28, 2017 at 1:41 PM Tobi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>
>> Hello list
>>
>> I saw the response from Vlad in my queue (as dovecot was broken there
>> has been no delivery to mailbox) but after fix and queue flush Vlads
>> message does not show up in my mailbox.
>>
>>> Check the systemd unit for ProtectHome, and make sure that is turned
>>> off.
>>
>> Found these lines in unit file
>>
>>> # Enable this if your systemd is new enough to support it:
>>> ProtectSystem=full
>
> I recommend you leave this ON and instead set
>
> ProtectHome=false
>
> To enable writable /home
>
> Aki
>