Case sensitivity in :addresses in sieve vacation scripts

Case sensitivity in :addresses in sieve vacation scripts

I have recently updated from Dovecot 2.2 to 2.3. Since I have noticed
that vacation responses from sieve are not working the same anymore.
For example, my sieve script looks like this:

 vacation :days 1 :addresses ["[hidden email]","[hidden email]"]

it used to be that I got a vacation response if I sent a mail to
[hidden email] and [hidden email]. Now I only get a response for
[hidden email], not for [hidden email].
I cant say for sure, but I suppose this behaviour changed with the
update. If not, why could this have happened? And in any case, how can
I enable case insensitivity?

Thanks
Julian

Re: Case sensitivity in :addresses in sieve vacation scripts

Dovecot mailing list
On Tue, Oct 8, 2019, at 7:58 AM, Julian Kippels via dovecot wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have recently updated from Dovecot 2.2 to 2.3. Since I have noticed
> that vacation responses from sieve are not working the same anymore.
> For example, my sieve script looks like this:
>
>  vacation :days 1 :addresses ["[hidden email]","[hidden email]"]
>
> it used to be that I got a vacation response if I sent a mail to
> [hidden email] and [hidden email]. Now I only get a response for
> [hidden email], not for [hidden email].
> I cant say for sure, but I suppose this behaviour changed with the
> update. If not, why could this have happened? And in any case, how can
> I enable case insensitivity?

I took a look at the RFCs.  It appears that this change is not in accordance with the relevant standards.  SIEVE says 'the "i;ascii-casemap" comparator (which treats uppercase and lowercase characters in the US-ASCII subset of UTF-8 as the same).  If left unspecified, the default is "i;ascii-casemap".' https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5228#section-2.7.3

Since there is no mention of comparators in the Vacation RFC, it should fallback to case-insensitive: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5230

You could try working around the issue by adding to your `vacation` statement: `:comparator "i;ascii-casemap"` -- but in any case, I'd file a bug about the non-standard behavior.

V/r,
James Cassell

> Thanks
> Julian

[BUG REPORT] Case sensitivity in :addresses in sieve vacation scripts

Dovecot mailing list
Am Tue, 08 Oct 2019 08:13:29 -0400
schrieb James Cassell via dovecot <[hidden email]>:

> On Tue, Oct 8, 2019, at 7:58 AM, Julian Kippels via dovecot wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have recently updated from Dovecot 2.2 to 2.3. Since I have
> > noticed that vacation responses from sieve are not working the same
> > anymore. For example, my sieve script looks like this:
> >
> >  vacation :days 1 :addresses
> > ["[hidden email]","[hidden email]"]
> >
> > it used to be that I got a vacation response if I sent a mail to
> > [hidden email] and [hidden email]. Now I only get a response for
> > [hidden email], not for [hidden email].
> > I cant say for sure, but I suppose this behaviour changed with the
> > update. If not, why could this have happened? And in any case, how
> > can I enable case insensitivity?
> >

> I took a look at the RFCs.  It appears that this change is not in
> accordance with the relevant standards.  SIEVE says 'the
> "i;ascii-casemap" comparator (which treats uppercase and lowercase
> characters in the US-ASCII subset of UTF-8 as the same).  If left
> unspecified, the default is "i;ascii-casemap".'
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5228#section-2.7.3
>
> Since there is no mention of comparators in the Vacation RFC, it
> should fallback to case-insensitive:
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5230
>
> You could try working around the issue by adding to your `vacation`
> statement: `:comparator "i;ascii-casemap"` -- but in any case, I'd
> file a bug about the non-standard behavior.
>

> V/r,
> James Cassell
>

> > Thanks
> > Julian

Unfortunately adding the :comparator statement to vacation results in
an error while compiling the script:

managesieve: line 5: error: unknown tagged argument ':comparator' for
the vacation command (reported only once at first occurrence).

Since https://www.dovecot.org/bugreport-mail states that bugs should be
reported to this mailing list, please consider this a bug report.

Obligatory information as follows:
doveconf -n can be found at https://pastebin.com/pjxFNfWr
Dovecot and Pigeonhole version 2.3.7.2 installed from repo.dovecot.org
on CentOS 7.

Kind Regards
Julian