Disabling index files?

Stroller
The wiki says:

> Each mailbox has its own separate index files. **If the index files are disabled**, the same structures are still kept in the memory, except cache file is disabled completely (because the client probably won't fetch the same data twice within a connection). [1]

I tend to grep my maildirs quite often, and use the output to cp emails to other folders, so it's annoying when the dovecot.index.cache files show up in the results.

How do I disable the index files, please?

My mail server is hardly loaded, so I don't think it'll be a problem to keep the caching in memory.

I can find `mailbox_list_index = no` in /etc/dovecot/conf.d/10-mail.conf but this seems to be enabled by default, and it makes no difference when I enable it explicitly - deleted dovecot.index.cache are recreated when Dovecot is restarted. The setting `mbox_min_index_size` tends to suggests it's only for mbox files, not maildirs?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer,

Stroller.

[1] https://wiki.dovecot.org/IndexFiles

Re: Disabling index files?

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI-4
On ter, 05 dez 2017, Stroller wrote:
> The wiki says:
> I tend to grep my maildirs quite often, and use the output to cp
> emails to other folders, so it's annoying when the
> dovecot.index.cache files show up in the results.
>
> How do I disable the index files, please?

grep --exclude='*index*' .....

Adjust the exclusion pattern to your taste.

--
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI

Re: Disabling index files?

Marcus Rueckert
On Tue, 5 Dec 2017 11:53:45 +0000
Stroller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The wiki says:
>
> > Each mailbox has its own separate index files. **If the index files
> > are disabled**, the same structures are still kept in the memory,
> > except cache file is disabled completely (because the client
> > probably won't fetch the same data twice within a connection). [1]
>
> I tend to grep my maildirs quite often, and use the output to cp
> emails to other folders, so it's annoying when the
> dovecot.index.cache files show up in the results.
>
> How do I disable the index files, please?
>
> My mail server is hardly loaded, so I don't think it'll be a problem
> to keep the caching in memory.
>
> I can find `mailbox_list_index = no`
> in /etc/dovecot/conf.d/10-mail.conf but this seems to be enabled by
> default, and it makes no difference when I enable it explicitly -
> deleted dovecot.index.cache are recreated when Dovecot is restarted.
> The setting `mbox_min_index_size` tends to suggests it's only for
> mbox files, not maildirs?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help you can offer,

hint: try server side search with your imap client. for me it beats
grep easily. Personally I just use the clucene based FTS and it
searches even mailboxes with 300-500k mails within single digit seconds.

   darix

--
          openSUSE - SUSE Linux is my linux
              openSUSE is good for you
                  www.opensuse.org

Re: Disabling index files?

Alessio Cecchi
Il 05/12/2017 12:53, Stroller ha scritto:
> The wiki says:
>
>> Each mailbox has its own separate index files. **If the index files are disabled**, the same structures are still kept in the memory, except cache file is disabled completely (because the client probably won't fetch the same data twice within a connection). [1]
> I tend to grep my maildirs quite often, and use the output to cp emails to other folders, so it's annoying when the dovecot.index.cache files show up in the results.
>
> How do I disable the index files, please?

Hi,

try with mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir:INDEX=MEMORY

Ciao

--
Alessio Cecchi
Postmaster @ http://www.qboxmail.it
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alessice

Re: Disabling index files?

Stroller

> On 5 Dec 2017, at 15:32, Gregory Finch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> How do I disable the index files, please?
>> …
>>

> from https://wiki2.dovecot.org/MailLocation#Index_files
>
> add :INDEX=MEMORY to your mail_location line, ie:
>
> mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir:INDEX=MEMORY

Many thanks!

That works perfectly.

Stroller.