Don't Understand Error Entry

Carlwill
I am using dovecot-0.99.11-8.EL4 on my system and decided to check the logs
since I just took over as the administrator on this system and I noticed the
same error entry over and over in the logs. I went to /var/log/dovecot.err
and see:

imap(rangry): May 22 13:33:31 Error: Error parsing IMAP envelope: "Thu, 20
Apr 2006 10:10:01 -0400" "Re: Hi there I have a question" (("Rodney Angry"
NIL "rodney.s.angry" "example.com")) (("Rodney Angry" NIL "rodney.s.angry" "
example.com")) ((NIL NIL "rodney.s.angry" "example.com")) (("Gryder, Connie"
NIL "CONSTANCE.L.GRYDER" "example.com")) NIL NIL "<
[hidden email]>" NIL

I don't understand what this error message means and why its flooding my
logs. I do know the that the name in parenthesis on line one is a user on my
email server. <rangry> is a user on my domain with a valid email account but
I can't tell if the problem is coming from example.com or originating from
<rangry>.

Anyone happen to know what is causing this? I don't know if you guys need my
config here so I don't want to flood this message. If this makes sense to
anyone, please let me know what I can do to resolve this or keep this from
flooding my email server.

Thanks!

Re: Don't Understand Error Entry

Charles Marcus
On 5/23/2008, Carlos Williams ([hidden email]) wrote:
> I am using dovecot-0.99.11-8.EL4

One word... upgrade. This is ancient.

atrpms.net

Just be *sure* that you read the upgrade docs very carefully, as tnings
changed in the config...

http://wiki.dovecot.org/Upgrading/1.0

and if you decide to go straight to 1.1 (not a bad idea since it is at
rc5 and release is imminent):

http://wiki.dovecot.org/Upgrading/1.1

--

Best regards,

Charles

Re: Don't Understand Error Entry

Carlwill
On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 4:04 PM, Charles Marcus <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> One word... upgrade. This is ancient.
>
> atrpms.net
>
> Just be *sure* that you read the upgrade docs very carefully, as tnings
> changed in the config...
>
> http://wiki.dovecot.org/Upgrading/1.0
>
> and if you decide to go straight to 1.1 (not a bad idea since it is at rc5
> and release is imminent):
>
> http://wiki.dovecot.org/Upgrading/1.1

Thanks for the upgrade suggestion but I would like to think the error is due
to something besides my version just being old. Does the error make sense
and are you saying that if I had the latest version, this would not happen?
Man your battle stations...

Re: Don't Understand Error Entry

Scott Silva
on 5-23-2008 2:21 PM Carlos Williams spake the following:

> On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 4:04 PM, Charles Marcus <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> One word... upgrade. This is ancient.
>>
>> atrpms.net
>>
>> Just be *sure* that you read the upgrade docs very carefully, as tnings
>> changed in the config...
>>
>> http://wiki.dovecot.org/Upgrading/1.0
>>
>> and if you decide to go straight to 1.1 (not a bad idea since it is at rc5
>> and release is imminent):
>>
>> http://wiki.dovecot.org/Upgrading/1.1
>>

> Thanks for the upgrade suggestion but I would like to think the error is due
> to something besides my version just being old. Does the error make sense
> and are you saying that if I had the latest version, this would not happen?
  What he is saying is that the old versions aren't supported anymore. You
will find little help on them as any one on this list who can help you knows
not to use such ancient software in production.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and

On 5/23/2008 5:21 PM, Carlos Williams wrote:
> Thanks for the upgrade suggestion but I would like to think the error is due
> to something besides my version just being old. Does the error make sense
> and are you saying that if I had the latest version, this would not happen?

I'm saying 0.99 series is ANCIENT - AND there were some very real bugs
that were never fixed... time to update.

--

Best regards,

Charles

On Fri, 2008-05-23 at 15:36 -0400, Carlos Williams wrote:

> imap(rangry): May 22 13:33:31 Error: Error parsing IMAP envelope: "Thu, 20
> Apr 2006 10:10:01 -0400" "Re: Hi there I have a question" (("Rodney Angry"
> NIL "rodney.s.angry" "example.com")) (("Rodney Angry" NIL "rodney.s.angry" "
> example.com")) ((NIL NIL "rodney.s.angry" "example.com")) (("Gryder, Connie"
> NIL "CONSTANCE.L.GRYDER" "example.com")) NIL NIL "<
> [hidden email]>" NIL
>
> I don't understand what this error message means and why its flooding my
> logs. I do know the that the name in parenthesis on line one is a user on my
> email server. <rangry> is a user on my domain with a valid email account but
> I can't tell if the problem is coming from example.com or originating from
> <rangry>.
You could delete .imap.index.cache (or whatever the .cache file was
called in 0.99, i can't remember) to get it rebuilt. That probably fixes
this. But as others said, upgrading would be a good idea.