Dovecot 2.3.8 - How to force index creation for user/mailbox?

Dovecot 2.3.8 - How to force index creation for user/mailbox?

Dovecot mailing list
Hello,

I'm using maildirs, and I have problems with big mailboxes (~ 20000 emails, 30-50GB) - sometimes access to such mailbox takes very long (~10 minutes), I would like to be able to create index for mailbox in background, but I couldn't find any way to do it. So far I tried:

doveadm -D -vvv index -u user 'Folder'

But even if this folder have no dovecot.index* files - I always get:

doveadm(user): Info: Wersje robocze: Cache is already up to date

It seems that doveadm doesn't actually checks if the index is present. The index is created only when I log with IMAP client and check the folder.

So i tried:
doveadm mailbox cache purge -u user 'Folder'

No joy either:
doveadm(user): Error: Cache is unusable

And command below doesn't actually do anything to index:
doveadm  -vvv force-resync -u user 'Folder'

Is there any way to use doveadm tool to create/fix index? Shouldn't the index be updated on each email arrival?

Cheers,
TomekL

Re: Dovecot 2.3.8 - How to force index creation for user/mailbox?

Dovecot mailing list

> On 03/12/2019 18:30 Tomek Lutelmowski via dovecot <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Hello,
>
> I'm using maildirs, and I have problems with big mailboxes (~ 20000 emails, 30-50GB) - sometimes access to such mailbox takes very long (~10 minutes), I would like to be able to create index for mailbox in background, but I couldn't find any way to do it. So far I tried:
>
> doveadm -D -vvv index -u user 'Folder'
>
> But even if this folder have no dovecot.index* files - I always get:
>
> doveadm(user): Info: Wersje robocze: Cache is already up to date
>
> It seems that doveadm doesn't actually checks if the index is present. The index is created only when I log with IMAP client and check the folder.
>
> So i tried:
> doveadm mailbox cache purge -u user 'Folder'
>
> No joy either:
> doveadm(user): Error: Cache is unusable
>
> And command below doesn't actually do anything to index:
> doveadm -vvv force-resync -u user 'Folder'
>
> Is there any way to use doveadm tool to create/fix index? Shouldn't the index be updated on each email arrival?
>
> Cheers,
> TomekL

Try first 'doveadm fetch -u victim body ALL'. If this does not produce any useful results, try 'doveadm force-resync -u victim "*"'.

Re: Dovecot 2.3.8 - How to force index creation for user/mailbox?

Dovecot mailing list
Thanks, but both commands didn't create dovecot.index. Only when I open folder with IMAP client, the dovecot.index is created.

wt., 3 gru 2019 o 18:16 Aki Tuomi <[hidden email]> napisał(a):

> On 03/12/2019 18:30 Tomek Lutelmowski via dovecot <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Hello,
>
> I'm using maildirs, and I have problems with big mailboxes (~ 20000 emails, 30-50GB) - sometimes access to such mailbox takes very long (~10 minutes), I would like to be able to create index for mailbox in background, but I couldn't find any way to do it. So far I tried:
>
> doveadm -D -vvv index -u user 'Folder'
>
> But even if this folder have no dovecot.index* files - I always get:
>
> doveadm(user): Info: Wersje robocze: Cache is already up to date
>
> It seems that doveadm doesn't actually checks if the index is present. The index is created only when I log with IMAP client and check the folder.
>
> So i tried:
> doveadm mailbox cache purge -u user 'Folder'
>
> No joy either:
> doveadm(user): Error: Cache is unusable
>
> And command below doesn't actually do anything to index:
> doveadm -vvv force-resync -u user 'Folder'
>
> Is there any way to use doveadm tool to create/fix index? Shouldn't the index be updated on each email arrival?
>
> Cheers,
> TomekL

Try first 'doveadm fetch -u victim body ALL'. If this does not produce any useful results, try 'doveadm force-resync -u victim "*"'.

Re: Dovecot 2.3.8 - How to force index creation for user/mailbox?

Dovecot mailing list
Wait, did you mean 'dovecot.index' file? That file is only created occasionally, the actual index is kept in dovecot.index.log.

Aki

> On 03/12/2019 21:20 Tomek Lutelmowski via dovecot <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Thanks, but both commands didn't create dovecot.index. Only when I open folder with IMAP client, the dovecot.index is created.
>

> wt., 3 gru 2019 o 18:16 Aki Tuomi <[hidden email]> napisał(a):
> >
> >  > On 03/12/2019 18:30 Tomek Lutelmowski via dovecot <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >  >
> >  >
> >  > Hello,
> >  >
> >  > I'm using maildirs, and I have problems with big mailboxes (~ 20000 emails, 30-50GB) - sometimes access to such mailbox takes very long (~10 minutes), I would like to be able to create index for mailbox in background, but I couldn't find any way to do it. So far I tried:
> >  >
> >  > doveadm -D -vvv index -u user 'Folder'
> >  >
> >  > But even if this folder have no dovecot.index* files - I always get:
> >  >
> >  > doveadm(user): Info: Wersje robocze: Cache is already up to date
> >  >
> >  > It seems that doveadm doesn't actually checks if the index is present. The index is created only when I log with IMAP client and check the folder.
> >  >
> >  > So i tried:
> >  > doveadm mailbox cache purge -u user 'Folder'
> >  >
> >  > No joy either:
> >  > doveadm(user): Error: Cache is unusable
> >  >
> >  > And command below doesn't actually do anything to index:
> >  > doveadm -vvv force-resync -u user 'Folder'
> >  >
> >  > Is there any way to use doveadm tool to create/fix index? Shouldn't the index be updated on each email arrival?
> >  >
> >  > Cheers,
> >  > TomekL
> >
> >  Try first 'doveadm fetch -u victim body ALL'. If this does not produce any useful results, try 'doveadm force-resync -u victim "*"'.
> >
> >  Aki

Re: Dovecot 2.3.8 - How to force index creation for user/mailbox?

Dovecot mailing list
Neither of dovecot.index files are created (.cache, .log, .thread) - these files are created when I open the folder with IMAP client. When mailbox is not used for long time, the indexing takes very long time. So I'm looking for any solution (preferably with doveadm) to manually reindex folders in background.

wt., 3 gru 2019 o 20:23 Aki Tuomi <[hidden email]> napisał(a):
Wait, did you mean 'dovecot.index' file? That file is only created occasionally, the actual index is kept in dovecot.index.log.

Aki

> On 03/12/2019 21:20 Tomek Lutelmowski via dovecot <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Thanks, but both commands didn't create dovecot.index. Only when I open folder with IMAP client, the dovecot.index is created.
>

> wt., 3 gru 2019 o 18:16 Aki Tuomi <[hidden email]> napisał(a):
> >
> >  > On 03/12/2019 18:30 Tomek Lutelmowski via dovecot <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >  >
> >  >
> >  > Hello,
> >  >
> >  > I'm using maildirs, and I have problems with big mailboxes (~ 20000 emails, 30-50GB) - sometimes access to such mailbox takes very long (~10 minutes), I would like to be able to create index for mailbox in background, but I couldn't find any way to do it. So far I tried:
> >  >
> >  > doveadm -D -vvv index -u user 'Folder'
> >  >
> >  > But even if this folder have no dovecot.index* files - I always get:
> >  >
> >  > doveadm(user): Info: Wersje robocze: Cache is already up to date
> >  >
> >  > It seems that doveadm doesn't actually checks if the index is present. The index is created only when I log with IMAP client and check the folder.
> >  >
> >  > So i tried:
> >  > doveadm mailbox cache purge -u user 'Folder'
> >  >
> >  > No joy either:
> >  > doveadm(user): Error: Cache is unusable
> >  >
> >  > And command below doesn't actually do anything to index:
> >  > doveadm -vvv force-resync -u user 'Folder'
> >  >
> >  > Is there any way to use doveadm tool to create/fix index? Shouldn't the index be updated on each email arrival?
> >  >
> >  > Cheers,
> >  > TomekL
> >
> >  Try first 'doveadm fetch -u victim body ALL'. If this does not produce any useful results, try 'doveadm force-resync -u victim "*"'.
> >
> >  Aki

Re: Dovecot 2.3.8 - How to force index creation for user/mailbox?

then please post doveconf -n

Sami

On 3 Dec 2019, at 21.31, Tomek Lutelmowski via dovecot <[hidden email]> wrote:

Neither of dovecot.index files are created (.cache, .log, .thread) - these files are created when I open the folder with IMAP client. When mailbox is not used for long time, the indexing takes very long time. So I'm looking for any solution (preferably with doveadm) to manually reindex folders in background.

wt., 3 gru 2019 o 20:23 Aki Tuomi <[hidden email]> napisał(a):
Wait, did you mean 'dovecot.index' file? That file is only created occasionally, the actual index is kept in dovecot.index.log.

Aki

> On 03/12/2019 21:20 Tomek Lutelmowski via dovecot <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Thanks, but both commands didn't create dovecot.index. Only when I open folder with IMAP client, the dovecot.index is created.
>

> wt., 3 gru 2019 o 18:16 Aki Tuomi <[hidden email]> napisał(a):
> >
> >  > On 03/12/2019 18:30 Tomek Lutelmowski via dovecot <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >  >
> >  >
> >  > Hello,
> >  >
> >  > I'm using maildirs, and I have problems with big mailboxes (~ 20000 emails, 30-50GB) - sometimes access to such mailbox takes very long (~10 minutes), I would like to be able to create index for mailbox in background, but I couldn't find any way to do it. So far I tried:
> >  >
> >  > doveadm -D -vvv index -u user 'Folder'
> >  >
> >  > But even if this folder have no dovecot.index* files - I always get:
> >  >
> >  > doveadm(user): Info: Wersje robocze: Cache is already up to date
> >  >
> >  > It seems that doveadm doesn't actually checks if the index is present. The index is created only when I log with IMAP client and check the folder.
> >  >
> >  > So i tried:
> >  > doveadm mailbox cache purge -u user 'Folder'
> >  >
> >  > No joy either:
> >  > doveadm(user): Error: Cache is unusable
> >  >
> >  > And command below doesn't actually do anything to index:
> >  > doveadm -vvv force-resync -u user 'Folder'
> >  >
> >  > Is there any way to use doveadm tool to create/fix index? Shouldn't the index be updated on each email arrival?
> >  >
> >  > Cheers,
> >  > TomekL
> >
> >  Try first 'doveadm fetch -u victim body ALL'. If this does not produce any useful results, try 'doveadm force-resync -u victim "*"'.
> >
> >  Aki

Re: Dovecot 2.3.8 - How to force index creation for user/mailbox?

Dovecot mailing list
Here is doveconf -n output:

# 2.3.8 (9df20d2db): /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# Pigeonhole version 0.5.8 (b7b03ba2)
# OS: Linux 5.4.1-gentoo x86_64 Gentoo Base System release 2.6
# Hostname: mail.xxxx.com
auth_cache_negative_ttl = 0
auth_cache_size = 10 M
auth_cache_ttl = 4 hours
auth_default_realm = xxxx.com
auth_master_user_separator = *
auth_verbose = yes
auth_verbose_passwords = plain
default_vsz_limit = 1 G
disable_plaintext_auth = no
listen = *
login_greeting = IMAP ready.
mail_gid = mail
mail_location = maildir:~
mail_plugins = zlib fts fts_lucene virtual acl
mailbox_idle_check_interval = 3 secs
managesieve_notify_capability = mailto
managesieve_sieve_capability = fileinto reject envelope encoded-character vacation subaddress comparator-i;ascii-numeric relational regex imap4flags copy include variables body enotify environment mailbox date index ihave duplicate mime foreverypart extracttext
namespace {
  list = children
  location = maildir:/e/xxxx.com/mail-shared:INDEXPVT=~/Maildir/public/
  mailbox poczta {
    auto = no
  }
  prefix = Wspólne/
  separator = /
  subscriptions = no
  type = shared
}
namespace inbox {
  inbox = yes
  list = yes
  location =
  mailbox "Elementy usunięte" {
    auto = subscribe
    special_use = \Trash
  }
  mailbox "Elementy wysłane" {
    auto = subscribe
    special_use = \Sent
  }
  mailbox "Wersje robocze" {
    auto = subscribe
    special_use = \Drafts
  }
  mailbox Wiadomości-śmieci {
    auto = subscribe
    special_use = \Junk
  }
  prefix =
  separator = /
  type = private
}
passdb {
  args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql-master.conf.ext
  driver = sql
  master = yes
  pass = yes
}
passdb {
  args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf.ext
  driver = sql
}
plugin {
  acl = vfile
  fts = lucene
  fts_autoindex = yes
  fts_lucene = whitespace_chars="@.-_()[]{}<>/\\+"
  mail_log_fields = uid box msgid from subject size
  sieve = file:~/sieve;active=~/sieve/sieve.active
  sieve_before = /etc/dovecot/sieve/global.sieve
  sieve_global = /etc/dovecot/sieve
  sieve_vacation_dont_check_recipient = yes
  sieve_vacation_use_original_recipient = yes
  zlib_save = xz
  zlib_save_level = 9
}
pop3_uidl_format = %v.%u
protocols = imap lmtp sieve
service auth {
    group = postfix
    mode = 0660
    user = postfix
service imap-login {
  process_min_avail = 10
  service_count = 1
  unix_listener imap {
    mode = 0666
service imap-postlogin {
  executable = script-login /usr/local/bin/postlogin.sh
  user = $default_internal_user
}
service imap {
  client_limit = 1
  executable = imap imap-postlogin
}
service lmtp {
  unix_listener /var/spool/postfix/private/dovecot-lmtp {
    group = postfix
    mode = 0600
    user = postfix
  }
  vsz_limit = 4 G
}
service managesieve-login {
  inet_listener sieve {
    address = 127.0.0.1
    port = 4190
ssl_ca = </e/xxxx.com/cert/CA.pem
ssl_cert = </e/ xxxx.com/cert/mail-chain.crt
ssl_cipher_list = ALL:!LOW:!SSLv2:!EXP:!aNULL
ssl_dh = # hidden, use -P to show it
ssl_key = # hidden, use -P to show it
ssl_require_crl = no
userdb {
  driver = prefetch
}
userdb {
  args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf.ext
  driver = sql
}
protocol lmtp {
  mail_plugins = zlib fts fts_lucene virtual acl sieve virtual
}
protocol lda {
  mail_plugins = zlib fts fts_lucene virtual acl sieve
}
protocol imap {
  mail_plugins = zlib fts fts_lucene virtual acl imap_acl
}

śr., 4 gru 2019 o 07:34 Sami Ketola <[hidden email]> napisał(a):
Hi,

> [...]

> >  >
> >  > No joy either:
> >  > doveadm(user): Error: Cache is unusable
> >  >
> >  > And command below doesn't actually do anything to index:
> >  > doveadm -vvv force-resync -u user 'Folder'
> >  >
> >  > Is there any way to use doveadm tool to create/fix index? Shouldn't the index be updated on each email arrival?
> >  >
> >  > Cheers,
> >  > TomekL
> >
> >  Try first 'doveadm fetch -u victim body ALL'. If this does not produce any useful results, try 'doveadm force-resync -u victim "*"'.
> >
> >  Aki

Re: Dovecot 2.3.8 - How to force index creation for user/mailbox?

Dovecot mailing list

> On 4 Dec 2019, at 11.48, Tomek Lutelmowski via dovecot <[hidden email]> wrote:

can't spot anything obvious wrong. Just spotted that you are storing mails in users home root along with all other files such as index files.

Maybe you should store the mailbox contents into Maildir:~/Maildir under the users home and index to ~/index/

Sami

Re: Dovecot 2.3.8 - How to force index creation for user/mailbox?

Dovecot mailing list
Someone who have mailbox in different directory than indexes, can confirm if doveadm can recreate index (after deleting dovecot.index* files) or these files can be created only by connecting with IMAP client?

On 4 Dec 2019, at 17.15, Tomek Lutelmowski via dovecot <[hidden email]> wrote:

Someone who have mailbox in different directory than indexes, can confirm if doveadm can recreate index (after deleting dovecot.index* files) or these files can be created only by connecting with IMAP client?

[root@example .INBOX]# pwd
/[hidden email]/index/.INBOX
[root@example .INBOX]# ls
dovecot.index  dovecot.index.cache  dovecot.index.log
[root@example .INBOX]# rm dovecot.index.log
rm: remove regular file ‘dovecot.index.log’? y
[root@example .INBOX]# doveadm force-resync -u sami INBOX
[root@example .INBOX]# ls -al
total 8228
drwx------  2 vmail vmail      76 Dec  4 15:22 .
drwx------ 13 vmail vmail    4096 Nov 25 08:58 ..
-rw-------  1 vmail vmail  164080 Dec  4 15:22 dovecot.index
-rw-------  1 vmail vmail 8247872 Dec  4 15:21 dovecot.index.cache
-rw-------  1 vmail vmail     252 Dec  4 15:22 dovecot.index.log

[root@example .INBOX]# rm dovecot.index.*
rm: remove regular file ‘dovecot.index.cache’? y
rm: remove regular file ‘dovecot.index.log’? y

[root@example .INBOX]# doveadm index -u sami INBOX
[root@example .INBOX]# doveadm force-resync -u sami INBOX

[root@example .INBOX]# ls -al
total 180
drwx------  2 vmail vmail     76 Dec  4 15:27 .
drwx------ 13 vmail vmail   4096 Nov 25 08:58 ..
-rw-------  1 vmail vmail 164080 Dec  4 15:27 dovecot.index
-rw-------  1 vmail vmail   5748 Dec  4 15:27 dovecot.index.cache
-rw-------  1 vmail vmail    308 Dec  4 15:27 dovecot.index.log

[root@example .INBOX]# doveconf -n | grep mail_location
mail_location = Maildir:/vmail/%u/Maildir:INDEX=/vmail/%u/index

[root@ketola .INBOX]# doveadm user sami | grep home
home    /[hidden email]

Sami

Re: Dovecot 2.3.8 - How to force index creation for user/mailbox?

Yes.

mail_location = maildir:/var/vmail/%Ld/%Ln/Maildir:INBOX=/var/vmail/%Ld/%Ln/Maildir/.INBOX:INDEX=/var-fast/dovecot/indexes/vmail/%Ld/%Ln

As Sami Ketola wrote earlier:

rm -f /var-fast/dovecot/indexes/vmail/domain.ru/user/.INBOX/*

doveadm index -u [hidden email] INBOX

doveadm force-resync -u [hidden email] INBOX

ls /var-fast/dovecot/indexes/vmail/domain.ru/user/.INBOX/*

/var-fast/dovecot/indexes/vmail/domain.ru/user/.INBOX/dovecot.index
/var-fast/dovecot/indexes/vmail/domain.ru/user/.INBOX/dovecot.index.cache
/var-fast/dovecot/indexes/vmail/domain.ru/user/.INBOX/dovecot.index.log

04.12.2019 18:15, Tomek Lutelmowski via dovecot wrote:
Someone who have mailbox in different directory than indexes, can confirm if doveadm can recreate index (after deleting dovecot.index* files) or these files can be created only by connecting with IMAP client?

śr., 4 gru 2019 o 15:45 Sami Ketola <[hidden email]> napisał(a):

> On 4 Dec 2019, at 11.48, Tomek Lutelmowski via dovecot <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> mail_location = maildir:~

can't spot anything obvious wrong. Just spotted that you are storing mails in users home root along with all other files such as index files.

Maybe you should store the mailbox contents into Maildir:~/Maildir under the users home and index to ~/index/

Sami

Re: Dovecot 2.3.8 - How to force index creation for user/mailbox?

Dovecot mailing list
Gents, thank you all - moving indexes to external folder worked like a charm! :-)

czw., 5 gru 2019 o 14:55 Dmitry Donskih via dovecot <[hidden email]> napisał(a):

Yes.

mail_location = maildir:/var/vmail/%Ld/%Ln/Maildir:INBOX=/var/vmail/%Ld/%Ln/Maildir/.INBOX:INDEX=/var-fast/dovecot/indexes/vmail/%Ld/%Ln

As Sami Ketola wrote earlier:

rm -f /var-fast/dovecot/indexes/vmail/domain.ru/user/.INBOX/*

doveadm index -u [hidden email] INBOX

doveadm force-resync -u [hidden email] INBOX

ls /var-fast/dovecot/indexes/vmail/domain.ru/user/.INBOX/*

/var-fast/dovecot/indexes/vmail/domain.ru/user/.INBOX/dovecot.index
/var-fast/dovecot/indexes/vmail/domain.ru/user/.INBOX/dovecot.index.cache
/var-fast/dovecot/indexes/vmail/domain.ru/user/.INBOX/dovecot.index.log

04.12.2019 18:15, Tomek Lutelmowski via dovecot wrote:
Someone who have mailbox in different directory than indexes, can confirm if doveadm can recreate index (after deleting dovecot.index* files) or these files can be created only by connecting with IMAP client?

śr., 4 gru 2019 o 15:45 Sami Ketola <[hidden email]> napisał(a):

> On 4 Dec 2019, at 11.48, Tomek Lutelmowski via dovecot <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> mail_location = maildir:~

can't spot anything obvious wrong. Just spotted that you are storing mails in users home root along with all other files such as index files.

Maybe you should store the mailbox contents into Maildir:~/Maildir under the users home and index to ~/index/

Sami

Re: Dovecot 2.3.8 - How to force index creation for user/mailbox?

Dovecot mailing list
Just curious how does moving indexes to different folder help.?

Cheers/DP