Dovecot HSM

Dovecot mailing list

Hi.

I'm looking for a tutorial/how-to for a HSM (Hierarchical Storage Management). keeping old messages for a user in a cheap storage and recent messages in a faster one.

I see on dovecot2 wiki an alternative for hsm as "Alternate storage", but I don't now if it's a good solution for me.

The expected result is a faster imap/pop access for new messages on a "heavy mail users" mailbox, and obviously low cost!

Thanks in advance.

--
----------------------------------
    _    Engº Julio Cesar Covolato
   ^ ^   PSI INTERNET
----------------------------------

   ^ ^   PSI INTERNET

Re: Dovecot HSM

On 30 Oct 2019, at 23.09, Júlio Covolato via dovecot <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi.

I'm looking for a tutorial/how-to for a HSM (Hierarchical Storage Management). keeping old messages for a user in a cheap storage and recent messages in a faster one.

I see on dovecot2 wiki an alternative for hsm as "Alternate storage", but I don't now if it's a good solution for me.

The expected result is a faster imap/pop access for new messages on a "heavy mail users" mailbox, and obviously low cost!

Easiest way and also what usually is done is to store the index and lock files on a faster storage. Those are more often accessed than the mail objects itself.
Also using FTS (Full Text Search) engine will speed up user searches significantly as then there is no need to open the mail objects itself.

Sami