Dovecot, pigeonhole and hardlinks

Gionatan Danti
Hi list,
many moons ago I asked about preserving hardlink between identical
messages when pigeonhole (for sieve filtering) was used.

The reply was that, while hardlink worked well for non-filtered
messages, using pigeonhole broke the hardlink (ie: some message-specific
data was appended to the actual mail file). Here you can find the
original thread:
https://dovecot.org/pipermail/dovecot/2015-November/102579.html

I would ask the same things today: is dovecot+pigeonhole capable of
storing the same incoming message, sent to multiple rcpt or to a
group/alias expanding in multiple recipients, as a single hardlink?

Note: I know about SIS, but it has some important drawback and I would
avoid using it.

Thanks.

--
Danti Gionatan
Supporto Tecnico
email: [hidden email] - [hidden email]
GPG public key ID: FF5F32A8

Re: Dovecot, pigeonhole and hardlinks

Gionatan Danti
On 19/12/19 11:08, Gionatan Danti wrote:

> Hi list,
> many moons ago I asked about preserving hardlink between identical
> messages when pigeonhole (for sieve filtering) was used.
>
> The reply was that, while hardlink worked well for non-filtered
> messages, using pigeonhole broke the hardlink (ie: some message-specific
> data was appended to the actual mail file). Here you can find the
> original thread:
> https://dovecot.org/pipermail/dovecot/2015-November/102579.html
>
> I would ask the same things today: is dovecot+pigeonhole capable of
> storing the same incoming message, sent to multiple rcpt or to a
> group/alias expanding in multiple recipients, as a single hardlink?
>
> Note: I know about SIS, but it has some important drawback and I would
> avoid using it.
>
> Thanks.

Hi all, any thoughts on the matter?
Thanks.

GPG public key ID: FF5F32A8

Il 23-12-2019 12:04 Gionatan Danti ha scritto:

> On 19/12/19 11:08, Gionatan Danti wrote:
>> Hi list,
>> many moons ago I asked about preserving hardlink between identical
>> messages when pigeonhole (for sieve filtering) was used.
>>
>> The reply was that, while hardlink worked well for non-filtered
>> messages, using pigeonhole broke the hardlink (ie: some
>> message-specific data was appended to the actual mail file). Here you
>> can find the original thread:
>> https://dovecot.org/pipermail/dovecot/2015-November/102579.html
>>
>> I would ask the same things today: is dovecot+pigeonhole capable of
>> storing the same incoming message, sent to multiple rcpt or to a
>> group/alias expanding in multiple recipients, as a single hardlink?
>>
>> Note: I know about SIS, but it has some important drawback and I would
>> avoid using it.
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> Hi all, any thoughts on the matter?
> Thanks.

Sorry for the bump, anyone with some suggestions?
Thanks.

--
Danti Gionatan
Supporto Tecnico
Assyoma S.r.l. - www.assyoma.it
email: [hidden email] - [hidden email]
GPG public key ID: FF5F32A8

Re: Dovecot, pigeonhole and hardlinks

Stephan Bosch-2

Op 2-1-2020 om 17:43 schreef Gionatan Danti:

> Il 23-12-2019 12:04 Gionatan Danti ha scritto:
>> On 19/12/19 11:08, Gionatan Danti wrote:
>>> Hi list,
>>> many moons ago I asked about preserving hardlink between identical
>>> messages when pigeonhole (for sieve filtering) was used.
>>>
>>> The reply was that, while hardlink worked well for non-filtered
>>> messages, using pigeonhole broke the hardlink (ie: some
>>> message-specific data was appended to the actual mail file). Here
>>> you can find the original thread:
>>> https://dovecot.org/pipermail/dovecot/2015-November/102579.html
>>>
>>> I would ask the same things today: is dovecot+pigeonhole capable of
>>> storing the same incoming message, sent to multiple rcpt or to a
>>> group/alias expanding in multiple recipients, as a single hardlink?
>>>
>>> Note: I know about SIS, but it has some important drawback and I
>>> would avoid using it.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>
>> Hi all, any thoughts on the matter?
>> Thanks.
>
> Sorry for the bump, anyone with some suggestions?

I think this used to work in the past. Still need to look at this one.

Regards,

Stephan.

Il 03-01-2020 13:11 Stephan Bosch ha scritto:
> I think this used to work in the past. Still need to look at this one.
>
> Regards,
>
> Stephan.

Hi Stephan, thank for your reply.

What surprises me is that hard-linking identical messages saves so much
space, yet nobody seems to asking/using such feature.
So, either a) few cares about saving space or b) few are using the
pigeonhole plugin. And both a) and b) seems unlikely...

Thanks.

GPG public key ID: FF5F32A8

Il 03-01-2020 19:51 @lbutlr ha scritto:
> On 03 Jan 2020, at 06:16, Gionatan Danti <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> What surprises me is that hard-linking identical messages saves so
>> much space, yet nobody seems to asking/using such feature.
>> So, either a) few cares about saving space or b) few are using the
>> pigeonhole plugin. And both a) and b) seems unlikely...
>
> Or
>
> c) we see nearly no truly identical messages.

Well, sure, this is another possibility.

However, on all mailserver which I manage, a significant portion of
total emails are messages sent to groups/lists rather than single
recipient. Cyrus and other proprietary mailservers (eg: CommuniGate Pro)
use unix shared storage (aka hardlink) to avoid copying the message to
multiple inboxes. This is especially valuable when a) large groups
exists or b) a large message is sent to groups/lists.

Please also note that, when not using Pigeonhole, Dovecot *does* use
hardlink for messages sent to multiple recipients and/or groups. It is
only when Pigeonhole is active that the hardlinking does not happen.

Thanks.