Dovecote IMAPSieve user scripts

Dovecot mailing list
Hello,

I wonder how to configure IMAPSieve with user scripts. I can't find much
information on the internet.

I have Sieve and IMAPSieve for spam configured as described in the wiki
and it works.

Documentation mentions that imapsieve_url has to be set to appropriate
ManageSieve server but no further explanation is given.

What I want to achieve: let users create their own sieve scripts and
execute them each time a message is being moved/copied between their
mailboxes.

I saw mentions of "association of user scripts with mailboxes" but I'm
not sure what that means or if it's supported by Thuderbird Sieve
extension (or any other software out there).

Please advice.

Alex

Re: Dovecote IMAPSieve user scripts

Dovecot mailing list

I wonder how to configure IMAPSieve with user scripts. I can't find much
information on the internet.

try to enable managesieve:

service managesieve-login {
  inet_listener sieve {
    port = 4190

Roundcube or Thunderbird with Sieve plugin connect to your dovecot server on port 4190.
Users are authenticatd with the same credentials used for pop/imap and can upload their
scripts.

Best regards
Gerald

On 27/09/2019 11:30, Alexander Mankuta via dovecot wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I wonder how to configure IMAPSieve with user scripts. I can't find much
> information on the internet.
>
> I have Sieve and IMAPSieve for spam configured as described in the wiki
> and it works.
>
> Documentation mentions that imapsieve_url has to be set to appropriate
> ManageSieve server but no further explanation is given.

It is an IMAP capability. When that imapsieve_url setting is configured
properly, the IMAP server will announce support for the IMAPSIEVe
capability. However, if you wish to use this, your IMAP client needs to
provide support. So far, I haven't seen any of those. Currently, the
IMAPSieve facilities are mostly used for administrator-based filtering
(e.g. Spam/Ham learning based on user activity).

The specification of the IMAP capability is here:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6785

> What I want to achieve: let users create their own sieve scripts and
> execute them each time a message is being moved/copied between their
> mailboxes.
>
> I saw mentions of "association of user scripts with mailboxes" but I'm
> not sure what that means or if it's supported by Thuderbird Sieve
> extension (or any other software out there).

I haven't seen support like that in the Thunderbird add-on.

Regards,

Stephan.

On 27/09/2019 11:51, Gerald Galster via dovecot wrote:

>> I wonder how to configure IMAPSieve with user scripts. I can't find much
>> information on the internet.
>
> try to enable managesieve:
>
> service managesieve-login {
>   inet_listener sieve {
>     port = 4190
>   }
> }
>

> https://wiki2.dovecot.org/Pigeonhole/ManageSieve/Configuration
>
> Roundcube or Thunderbird with Sieve plugin connect to your dovecot
> server on port 4190.
> Users are authenticatd with the same credentials used for pop/imap and
> can upload their
> scripts.

Yes, but then nothing.  No client I know of supports the IMAPSIEVE
capability. The ones that support Sieve only support uploading scripts
(through ManageSieve) for delivery Sieve scripts, not for Sieve scripts
running on IMAP events.

Regardss,