Error: Corrupted index cache file and Error: Maildir filename has wrong S value

Error: Corrupted index cache file and Error: Maildir filename has wrong S value

Dovecot mailing list
Good day Guys

I have been met with a very interesting set of error messages.

Here is the snippet(s)
https://pastebin.com/raw/nFf79Ebc

(Sorry for all the redacted REMOVED_*.)

Google is proving to be a bit challenging in helping and explaining.

Could anyone please share how something like this happens, but more
importantly how to recover from this.
doveadm index -u <username> INBOX do the trick?

I also would like to ask the community, is there any tips or tricks any
of you guys do to mitigate index / cache corruptions.

Many thanks
Regards
Brent Clark

Re: Error: Corrupted index cache file and Error: Maildir filename has wrong S value

Dovecot mailing list
Good day Guys

Just an update, my colleague and I came across this script.

https://www.dovecot.org/tools/maildir-size-fix.pl

We made a backup, ran it, but unfortunately the problem still persists.

Regards
Brent

On 2019/11/11 11:42, Brent Clark wrote:

> Good day Guys
>
> I have been met with a very interesting set of error messages.
>
> Here is the snippet(s)
> https://pastebin.com/raw/nFf79Ebc
>
> (Sorry for all the redacted REMOVED_*.)
>
> Google is proving to be a bit challenging in helping and explaining.
>
> Could anyone please share how something like this happens, but more
> importantly how to recover from this.
> doveadm index -u <username> INBOX do the trick?
>

> I also would like to ask the community, is there any tips or tricks any
> of you guys do to mitigate index / cache corruptions.
>
> Many thanks
> Regards
> Brent Clark

Re: Error: Corrupted index cache file and Error: Maildir filename has wrong S value

Dovecot mailing list
What version are you running?

Aki

On 11.11.2019 12.26, Brent Clark via dovecot wrote:

> Good day Guys
>
> Just an update, my colleague and I came across this script.
>
> https://www.dovecot.org/tools/maildir-size-fix.pl
>
> We made a backup, ran it, but unfortunately the problem still persists.
>
> Regards
> Brent
>
> On 2019/11/11 11:42, Brent Clark wrote:
>> Good day Guys
>>
>> I have been met with a very interesting set of error messages.
>>
>> Here is the snippet(s)
>> https://pastebin.com/raw/nFf79Ebc
>>
>> (Sorry for all the redacted REMOVED_*.)
>>
>> Google is proving to be a bit challenging in helping and explaining.
>>
>> Could anyone please share how something like this happens, but more
>> importantly how to recover from this.
>> doveadm index -u <username> INBOX do the trick?
>>

>> I also would like to ask the community, is there any tips or tricks
>> any of you guys do to mitigate index / cache corruptions.
>>
>> Many thanks
>> Regards
>> Brent Clark

Re: Error: Corrupted index cache file and Error: Maildir filename has wrong S value

Dovecot mailing list
Good day Aki

Thanks ever so much for replying.

Interesting that you ask the version of dovecot. Any specific reason,
this question.?

To answer your question.
dovecot-core 1:2.2.27-3+deb9u5

Regards
Brent

On 2019/11/11 12:27, Aki Tuomi wrote:

> What version are you running?
>
> Aki
>
> On 11.11.2019 12.26, Brent Clark via dovecot wrote:
>> Good day Guys
>>
>> Just an update, my colleague and I came across this script.
>>
>> https://www.dovecot.org/tools/maildir-size-fix.pl
>>
>> We made a backup, ran it, but unfortunately the problem still persists.
>>
>> Regards
>> Brent
>>
>> On 2019/11/11 11:42, Brent Clark wrote:
>>> Good day Guys
>>>
>>> I have been met with a very interesting set of error messages.
>>>
>>> Here is the snippet(s)
>>> https://pastebin.com/raw/nFf79Ebc
>>>
>>> (Sorry for all the redacted REMOVED_*.)
>>>
>>> Google is proving to be a bit challenging in helping and explaining.
>>>
>>> Could anyone please share how something like this happens, but more
>>> importantly how to recover from this.
>>> doveadm index -u <username> INBOX do the trick?
>>>

>>> I also would like to ask the community, is there any tips or tricks
>>> any of you guys do to mitigate index / cache corruptions.
>>>
>>> Many thanks
>>> Regards
>>> Brent Clark

Re: Error: Corrupted index cache file and Error: Maildir filename has wrong S value

Dovecot mailing list
Good day Guys

I forgot to add and mention a very important piece of the puzzle.

We are making use of dovecots compression plugin.

I.e. https://doc.dovecot.org/configuration_manual/zlib_plugin/#compression

Regards
Brent Clark

On 2019/11/11 14:49, Brent Clark wrote:

> Good day Aki
>
> Thanks ever so much for replying.
>
> Interesting that you ask the version of dovecot. Any specific reason,
> this question.?
>
> To answer your question.
> dovecot-core 1:2.2.27-3+deb9u5
>
> Regards
> Brent
>
> On 2019/11/11 12:27, Aki Tuomi wrote:
>> What version are you running?
>>
>> Aki
>>
>> On 11.11.2019 12.26, Brent Clark via dovecot wrote:
>>> Good day Guys
>>>
>>> Just an update, my colleague and I came across this script.
>>>
>>> https://www.dovecot.org/tools/maildir-size-fix.pl
>>>
>>> We made a backup, ran it, but unfortunately the problem still persists.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Brent

Re: Error: Corrupted index cache file and Error: Maildir filename has wrong S value

Dovecot mailing list
Good day Guys

We came across https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=661008

maildir_broken_filename_sizes = yes

We tried and all worked.

A question, is this a setting that one would enable in a production
environment?

Regards
Brent