FAQ: setting thunderbird to talk to dovecot

FAQ: setting thunderbird to talk to dovecot

dalek
Let's say I have a postfix box, named mail.thespider.com, which is
setup to handle virtual mailbox domains. One of these domains will
handle is, thespider.com, and my email address in that domain is
[hidden email]. As I setup dovecot, I can telnet to the pop3 port
(110) and test it by logging in as [hidden email] (I would try
the imap port but I do not know how to login to imap from the telnet
prompt):

[raub@taz ~]$ telnet mail.thespider.com 110
Trying 192.168.1.12...
Connected to mail.thespider.com (192.168.1.12).
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK dovecot ready.
user [hidden email]
+OK
pass creepycrawly
+OK Logged in.
quit
+OK Logging out.
Connection closed by foreign host.
[raub@taz ~]$

How would I do the same under thunderbird from a machine in the same
lan (taz.thespider.com)? It seems to keep trying to login as
[hidden email], which will not fly.

Re: FAQ: setting thunderbird to talk to dovecot

Ed Wildgoose-2

> How would I do the same under thunderbird from a machine in the same
> lan (taz.thespider.com)? It seems to keep trying to login as
> [hidden email], which will not fly.

Thunderbird logs in using whatever *string* you type in the username
box.  It doesn't even have to be in the format of an email address...

Ed

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 7:54 AM, Odhiambo Washington <[hidden email]> wrote:

 > Is thunderbird set to use pop3 or imap?

   It can do both. I'd rather use imap but I am that kind of guy. ;)

 > Anyway, I don't support thunderbird as I have never used it, but I can tell
 > you how to connect to imap via telnet:
 >
 > telnet  mail.thespider.com 143
 > 1 login [hidden email] creepycrawly
 > 1 logout
 >
 > You can see this:
 >  http://www.macgeekery.com/tips/troubleshooting/troubleshooting_imap

      This is what happened:

 [raub@yakko ~]$ telnet mail.thespider.com 143

Trying 192.168.1.12...
 Connected to mail.thespider.com (192.168.1.12).
 Escape character is '^]'.
 * OK dovecot ready.

1 login [hidden email] creepycrawly
 1 NO Authentication failed.
 1 login [hidden email] creepycrawly
 1 OK Logged in.
 1 logout
 * BYE Logging out
 1 OK Logout completed.

Connection closed by foreign host.
 [raub@yakko ~]$

 I wonder if it has to do with the fact the virtual mailbox domain I
 created in postfix is defined as thespider.com while the machine
 running postfix/dovecot is mail.thespider.com.

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 10:46 AM, Ed W <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > How would I do the same under thunderbird from a machine in the same
> > lan (taz.thespider.com)? It seems to keep trying to login as
> > [hidden email], which will not fly.
> >

>  Thunderbird logs in using whatever *string* you type in the username box.
> It doesn't even have to be in the format of an email address...

     It does seem it is appending whatever string I type in the
username box to the front of the name of the mail server.  So, if I
have the username as [hidden email], it will try to login as
[hidden email]@mail.thespider.com

>  Ed

Re: FAQ: setting thunderbird to talk to dovecot

Charles Marcus

What are you using for auth? That is where you should be looking.

Re: FAQ: setting thunderbird to talk to dovecot

dalek
On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 8:58 AM, Charles Marcus
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 5/2/2008 Mauricio Tavares wrote:
>
> > It does seem it is appending whatever string I type in the
> > username box to the front of the name of the mail server.  So, if I
> > have the username as [hidden email], it will try to login as
> > [hidden email]@mail.thespider.com
> >

>  What are you using for auth? That is where you should be looking.

      Assuming I understood the question (It's brain dead Saturday!) I
have dovecot setup as

auth_mechanisms = plain digest-md5

but right now I am just doing the plain authentication. After all this
mail server is still not finished so only machines in the lan can even
see it. Once I am satisfied, I'll add tls and all that good stuff. If
this matters, I have no problems accessing the mail server using pine,
where I set the path to the inbox as

inbox-path={192.168.1.12/notls/user=[hidden email]}

On 5/3/2008, Mauricio Tavares ([hidden email]) wrote:
>>> It does seem it is appending whatever string I type in the
>>> username box to the front of the name of the mail server. So, if
>>> I have the username as [hidden email], it will try to login
>>> as [hidden email]@mail.thespider.com

>> What are you using for auth? That is where you should be looking.

> Assuming I understood the question (It's brain dead Saturday!) I
> have dovecot setup as
>
> auth_mechanisms = plain digest-md5
>
> but right now I am just doing the plain authentication. After all this
> mail server is still not finished so only machines in the lan can even
> see it. Once I am satisfied, I'll add tls and all that good stuff. If
> this matters, I have no problems accessing the mail server using pine,
> where I set the path to the inbox as

But what are you using on the backend? Password scheme/db?

Have you read all of the pages here?

http://wiki.dovecot.org/Authentication

--

Best regards,

Charles

Re: FAQ: setting thunderbird to talk to dovecot

Mark Sapiro-3
> On 5/2/2008 Mauricio Tavares wrote:
> >It does seem it is appending whatever string I type in the
> >username box to the front of the name of the mail server.  So, if I
> >have the username as [hidden email], it will try to login as
> >[hidden email]@mail.thespider.com

That's right. The username in Thunderbird's server settings is just the
username. It is not your email address.

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro net       The highway is for gamblers,
San Francisco Bay Area, California    better use your sense - B. Dylan

On Fri, 2008-05-02 at 17:27 -0400, Mauricio Tavares wrote:

> On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 10:46 AM, Ed W <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > > How would I do the same under thunderbird from a machine in the same
> > > lan (taz.thespider.com)? It seems to keep trying to login as
> > > [hidden email], which will not fly.
> > >

> >  Thunderbird logs in using whatever *string* you type in the username box.
> > It doesn't even have to be in the format of an email address...
> >
>      It does seem it is appending whatever string I type in the
> username box to the front of the name of the mail server.  So, if I
> have the username as [hidden email], it will try to login as
> [hidden email]@mail.thespider.com
How do you determine that it uses such login? From Dovecot's logs? If
this really is happening, there's something weird going on in your
Thunderbird. It shouldn't be appending the server name to your login
name.

Re: FAQ: setting thunderbird to talk to dovecot

Benjamin R. Haskell-3
On Sun, 4 May 2008, Timo Sirainen wrote:

>>>  Thunderbird logs in using whatever *string* you type in the username
>>> box. It doesn't even have to be in the format of an email address...
>>>
>>      It does seem it is appending whatever string I type in the
>> username box to the front of the name of the mail server.  So, if I
>> have the username as [hidden email], it will try to login as
>> [hidden email]@mail.thespider.com
>
> How do you determine that it uses such login? From Dovecot's logs? If
> this really is happening, there's something weird going on in your
> Thunderbird. It shouldn't be appending the server name to your login
> name.

Timo and Ed are right. Thunderbird should be using the string exactly as
you type it in the username field. It looks like a user-interface issue. I
just setup an account at localhost with the username:

[hidden email]

When logging in, the dialog box pops up asking for the password for:

[hidden email]@localhost
(extra @localhost)

but the auth plain string (with password boobar) is:

AGJoYXNrZWxsQGZsaWJiZXJkeWdpYmJldC5leGFtcGxlLmNvbQBib29iYXI=
i.e.: [hidden email]
(no @localhost)

This is with a relatively old Linux Thunderbird, but still, It's probably
not actually using the extra domain when logging in.

Best,
Ben

Re: FAQ: setting thunderbird to talk to dovecot

Uldis Pakuls
Timo Sirainen wrote:

>>> Thunderbird logs in using whatever *string* you type in the username box.
>>> It doesn't even have to be in the format of an email address...
>>     It does seem it is appending whatever string I type in the
>> username box to the front of the name of the mail server.  So, if I
>> have the username as [hidden email], it will try to login as
>> [hidden email]@mail.thespider.com
>>

> How do you determine that it uses such login? From Dovecot's logs? If
> this really is happening, there's something weird going on in your
> Thunderbird. It shouldn't be appending the server name to your login
> name.
I think you are just confused by Thuderbirds messages saying something
like "login: user@host" - it's  just generic form to display login info.
"@host" part is never used for login.

Uldis

On 5/4/2008, Uldis Pakuls ([hidden email]) wrote:
> I think you are just confused by Thuderbirds messages saying
> something like "login: user@host" - it's  just generic form to
> display login info. "@host" part is never used for login.

<sigh> I thought he was seeing this in the logs.

It should be a list rule that you *must* provide both output of dovecot
-n *and* relevant log snippets when asking for help on a problem like
this...

It sure saves a lot of time and energy and leads to fast (and accurate*
  problem resolutions... although, I will say that Timo sometimes
appears to be able to read the posters mind and solves the problem
without this info...

--

Best regards,

Charles