File manager or browser for IMAP?

Dovecot mailing list
Hi all,

I could really use a file manager or browser to browse my Dovecot IMAP.
Ideally it would have hotkeys to move, copy, delete and send. The send
part needn't be coded: Just a call to a shellscript which can handle
the send the way it's locally the most convenient.

Anyone know of such a file manager or browser for IMAP?

SteveT

Steve Litt
Author: The Key to Everyday Excellence
http://www.troubleshooters.com/key

Re: File manager or browser for IMAP?

Dovecot mailing list
Why not use thunderbird (or any other IMAP talking client)? :-)

Ionel

--
Ionel Spanachi
Staatliche Hochschule für Gestaltung Karlsruhe - Abteilung Netzwerk

Tel: +49 (0)721 8203-2329
Mobil: +49 (0)162 2361 363
OOB: https://t.me/HFG_KA_Netzwerk

smime.p7s (7K) Download Attachment

Re: File manager or browser for IMAP?

* Steve Litt via dovecot:

> Anyone know of such a file manager or browser for IMAP?

If by "file" you mean "mail": Every IMAP capable MUA.

-Ralph

Re: File manager or browser for IMAP?

Mutt for example.

Andrew

Re: File manager or browser for IMAP?

Thunderbird is an absolute pig, taking hours to load my Dovecot IMAP.
Claws-mail is good, but I have some problems with it. Alpine appears
not to be ready for prime time to act as a window into IMAP. Same with
the rest I've tried.

SteveT

On 9/23/19 8:36 PM, Steve Litt via dovecot wrote:
> Thunderbird is an absolute pig, taking hours to load my Dovecot IMAP.
> Claws-mail is good, but I have some problems with it. Alpine appears
> not to be ready for prime time to act as a window into IMAP. Same with
> the rest I've tried.

  Wha...?  Alpine/Pine have implemented IMAP for decades; that was one
of the first IMAP implementations to see widespread use.  In what way
does it appear to "not be ready for prime time"?

           -Dave

Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
New Kensington, PA

Re: File manager or browser for IMAP?

Not defending Thunderbird - but I don't understand your "taking hours to
load my Dovecot IMAP". I suppose if you have sync enabled then the first
time you connect to a large mailstore there would be an initial
download. But...I always disable sync immediately upon setting up
accounts in Thunderbird so that's never been an issue for me.

Being unable to prevent downloads or utilize server-side searches is why
some other clients have been disappointing for me - like EM Client and
Mailbird.

Daniel

On 9/23/2019 5:36 PM, Steve Litt via dovecot wrote:

> Thunderbird is an absolute pig, taking hours to load my Dovecot IMAP.
> Claws-mail is good, but I have some problems with it. Alpine appears
> not to be ready for prime time to act as a window into IMAP. Same with
> the rest I've tried.
>
> SteveT
>
> On Tue, 24 Sep 2019 00:21:33 +0200
> Ionel Spanachi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Why not use thunderbird (or any other IMAP talking client)? :-)
>>

>> Ionel
>>
>> On 24.09.19 00:14, Steve Litt via dovecot wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I could really use a file manager or browser to browse my Dovecot
>>> IMAP. Ideally it would have hotkeys to move, copy, delete and send.
>>> The send part needn't be coded: Just a call to a shellscript which
>>> can handle the send the way it's locally the most convenient.
>>>
>>> Anyone know of such a file manager or browser for IMAP?
>>>
>>> SteveT
>>>

>>> Steve Litt
>>> Author: The Key to Everyday Excellence
>>> http://www.troubleshooters.com/key
>>> Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/stevelitt

Re: File manager or browser for IMAP?

Re: File manager or browser for IMAP?

On Mon, 23 Sep 2019 20:39:31 -0400
Dave McGuire via dovecot <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 9/23/19 8:36 PM, Steve Litt via dovecot wrote:
> > Thunderbird is an absolute pig, taking hours to load my Dovecot
> > IMAP. Claws-mail is good, but I have some problems with it. Alpine
> > appears not to be ready for prime time to act as a window into
> > IMAP. Same with the rest I've tried.
>
>   Wha...?  Alpine/Pine have implemented IMAP for decades; that was one
> of the first IMAP implementations to see widespread use.  In what way
> does it appear to "not be ready for prime time"?

They only see some of the folders.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Author: The Key to Everyday Excellence
http://www.troubleshooters.com/key

Re: File manager or browser for IMAP?

Dovecot mailing list
On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 9:19 PM Steve Litt via dovecot <[hidden email]> wrote

They only see some of the folders.

Are they subscribed?

Re: File manager or browser for IMAP?

Dovecot mailing list
On Tue, 24 Sep 2019 21:53:33 -0600
Roger Klorese via dovecot <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 9:19 PM Steve Litt via dovecot
> <[hidden email]> wrote
>

> > They only see some of the folders.
>

> Are they subscribed?

I don't know.

I looked up how to subscribe folders, and at least the first two pages
of found pages described subscription in relation to an email client
and told how to subscribe/unsubscribe only from specific email clients.
This kind of thing is exactly what I wanted to get around by having an
IMAP browser, without all the messiness of an email client attached to
it.

My Dovecot IMAP is kept in a maildir tree. If you know how to subscribe
a folder within that hierarchy, I could use that to see what's
subscribed and what's not.

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve Litt

Author: The Key to Everyday Excellence

IMAP protocol has LIST and LSUB commands.

MUAs usually use LSUB , as it lists what has been subcscribed to.

MUAs can use LIST to let you subscribe into folders that you have not.
---
Aki Tuomi

On Mon, 23 Sep 2019, Dave McGuire wrote:

> On 9/23/19 8:36 PM, Steve Litt via dovecot wrote:
>> Alpine appears not to be ready for prime time to act as a window into
>> IMAP.
>
>  Wha...?  Alpine/Pine have implemented IMAP for decades; that was one
> of the first IMAP implementations to see widespread use.

Not surprising, as both the RFC for IMAP and Pine are creations of the
same person (Mark Crispin, RIP).  Both have evolved considerably, though,
but as a regular user of (al)pine, I get by just fine.

It's sort of like Emacs -- lots of cryptic keypresses, but once you
amortize the time to learn them, you can mulch through mail fairly
quickly.

Joseph Tam <[hidden email]>

On Sep 25, 2019, at 4:20 PM, Joseph Tam <[hidden email]> wrote:
> you can mulch through mail fairly quickly.

Now there is a good image!

I’m probably going to steal that. Mulch is a word that need more use.

--
I WILL NOT YELL "FIRE" IN A CROWDED CLASSROOM Bart chalkboard Ep. 7G01