IMAP Migration Tools

I am looking for tools to migrate Mails from one IMAP-Server to
another. Until now I have always used imapsync, but it seems very
slow. Even over a 2x10GB/s connection I only get speeds of about
600KiB/s, because the programm always pauses betweeen every single
mail.
Does anyone here have a suggestion for an alternative?

Thanks in advance
Julian

Re: IMAP Migration Tools

Dovecot mailing list
On 2019-11-28 10:47 am, Julian Kippels via dovecot wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am looking for tools to migrate Mails from one IMAP-Server to
> another. Until now I have always used imapsync, but it seems very
> slow. Even over a 2x10GB/s connection I only get speeds of about
> 600KiB/s, because the programm always pauses betweeen every single
> mail.
> Does anyone here have a suggestion for an alternative?

Take a look at mbsync (isync).  Very flexible and quite fast.  I've also
used offlineimap for a long time.

DC

Re: IMAP Migration Tools

Dovecot mailing list

> On 28 Nov 2019, at 18:21, Dean via dovecot <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 2019-11-28 10:47 am, Julian Kippels via dovecot wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I am looking for tools to migrate Mails from one IMAP-Server to
>> another. Until now I have always used imapsync, but it seems very
>> slow. Even over a 2x10GB/s connection I only get speeds of about
>> 600KiB/s, because the programm always pauses betweeen every single
>> mail.
>> Does anyone here have a suggestion for an alternative?
>
> Take a look at mbsync (isync).  Very flexible and quite fast.  I've also used offlineimap for a long time.
>
> DC

Here is an .offlineimaprc example :

[general]
accounts = main

[Account main]
localrepository = dstAccount
remoterepository = sourceAccount

[Repository sourceAccount]
type = IMAP
remotehost = old.server.hostname.com
remoteuser = [hidden email]
remotepass = oldpass
ssl = no
readonly = true

[Repository dstAccount]
type = IMAP
remotehost = new.server.hostname.com
remoteuser = [hidden email]
remotepass = newpass
ssl = no

Re: IMAP Migration Tools

Hey,

On 28.11.19 16:47, Julian Kippels via dovecot wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am looking for tools to migrate Mails from one IMAP-Server to
> another. Until now I have always used imapsync, but it seems very
> slow. Even over a 2x10GB/s connection I only get speeds of about
> 600KiB/s, because the programm always pauses betweeen every single
> mail.
> Does anyone here have a suggestion for an alternative?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Julian

If you have full access to the source server you could use rsync or when
the source is also dovecot maybe you can even use dsync to transfer the
data.

-
Carsten

Re: IMAP Migration Tools

Dovecot’s own dsync.

Your life will now change forever...

> On 29 Nov 2019, at 01:48, Julian Kippels via dovecot <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I am looking for tools to migrate Mails from one IMAP-Server to
> another. Until now I have always used imapsync, but it seems very
> slow. Even over a 2x10GB/s connection I only get speeds of about
> 600KiB/s, because the programm always pauses betweeen every single
> mail.
> Does anyone here have a suggestion for an alternative?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Julian

Re: IMAP Migration Tools

> On 28 Nov 2019, at 17.47, Julian Kippels via dovecot <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I am looking for tools to migrate Mails from one IMAP-Server to
> another. Until now I have always used imapsync, but it seems very
> slow. Even over a 2x10GB/s connection I only get speeds of about
> 600KiB/s, because the programm always pauses betweeen every single
> mail.
> Does anyone here have a suggestion for an alternative?

We use dovecot dsync for migration on our customer projects.
It is fast with enough parallelism and we have been able to saturate 10Gbps links.
Also it is the only sync tool available that syncs all data including pop3 uidls.

https://wiki2.dovecot.org/Migration/Dsync

Sami