Initialization failed: Namespace '': mkdir(/var/www/mail) failed: Permission denied

Initialization failed: Namespace '': mkdir(/var/www/mail) failed: Permission denied

trash
Hi,

I'm running dovecot (v 2.2.9) on ubuntu 14.04 since a long time. I did
not change any configuration lately and I'm getting the below error
message.

/dovecot: lda(www-data): Error: user www-data: Initialization failed:
Namespace '': MKDIR(/VAR/WWW/MAIL) failed: Permission denied
(euid=33(www-data) egid=33(www-data) missing +w perm: /var/www, dir
owned by 1001:1001 mode=0755//)  /

I did some troubleshooting and I don't understand where
the MKDIR(/VAR/WWW/MAIL) is coming from. Mailboxes are in /var/mail
and sending/receiving emails is working as it always did.

mail_location is still setup to be MAIL_LOCATION =
MBOX:~/MAIL:INBOX=/VAR/MAIL/%U

Why is it trying a mkdir in /var/www?

Any help would be appreciated.

Rgs,

attachment0 (1K) Download Attachment

Re: Initialization failed: Namespace '': mkdir(/var/www/mail) failed: Permission denied

Steffen Kaiser-9

  Quoting Steffen Kaiser <[hidden email]>:

> On Thu, 26 Oct 2017, [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> /dovecot: lda(www-data): Error: user www-data: Initialization
>> failed: Namespace '': MKDIR(/VAR/WWW/MAIL) failed: Permission
>> denied (euid=33(www-data) egid=33(www-data) missing +w perm:
>> /var/www, dir owned by 1001:1001 mode=0755//)  /
>>
>> I did some troubleshooting and I don't understand where
>> the MKDIR(/VAR/WWW/MAIL) is coming from. Mailboxes are in /var/mail
>> and
>
> ^^ /var/mail contains the INBOX only
>
>> sending/receiving emails is working as it always did.
>>
>> mail_location is still setup to be MAIL_LOCATION =
>> MBOX:~/MAIL:INBOX=/VAR/MAIL/%U
>
> Everything else is in ~/MAIL (why uppercase?)
>
>> Why is it trying a mkdir in /var/www?
>
> Because most likely /var/www is the home directory of www-data and
> you've configured to use $HOME/MAIL as base directory, which is
> /var/www/mail
> - -- Steffen Kaiser
I don't know where the uppercase is coming from. In the email I've
sent its lower case.

How can I fix that without changing permissions of /var/www? Where is
$HOME/MAIL configured? Why do I get this error now for the first time,
when there was no change to the system configuration?

attachment0 (1K) Download Attachment

Re: Initialization failed: Namespace '': mkdir(/var/www/mail) failed: Permission denied

Aki Tuomi-2

> On October 26, 2017 at 5:40 PM [hidden email] wrote:
>

>   Quoting Steffen Kaiser <[hidden email]>:
>
> > On Thu, 26 Oct 2017, [hidden email] wrote:
> >
> >> /dovecot: lda(www-data): Error: user www-data: Initialization
> >> failed: Namespace '': MKDIR(/VAR/WWW/MAIL) failed: Permission
> >> denied (euid=33(www-data) egid=33(www-data) missing +w perm:
> >> /var/www, dir owned by 1001:1001 mode=0755//)  /
> >>
> >> I did some troubleshooting and I don't understand where
> >> the MKDIR(/VAR/WWW/MAIL) is coming from. Mailboxes are in /var/mail
> >> and
> >
> > ^^ /var/mail contains the INBOX only
> >
> >> sending/receiving emails is working as it always did.
> >>
> >> mail_location is still setup to be MAIL_LOCATION =
> >> MBOX:~/MAIL:INBOX=/VAR/MAIL/%U
> >
> > Everything else is in ~/MAIL (why uppercase?)
> >
> >> Why is it trying a mkdir in /var/www?
> >
> > Because most likely /var/www is the home directory of www-data and
> > you've configured to use $HOME/MAIL as base directory, which is
> > /var/www/mail
> > - -- Steffen Kaiser
>
> I don't know where the uppercase is coming from. In the email I've
> sent its lower case.
>
> How can I fix that without changing permissions of /var/www? Where is
> $HOME/MAIL configured? Why do I get this error now for the first time,
> when there was no change to the system configuration?

Probably someone attempted to send email via a crappy script and it's now trying to deliver to www-data.

first_valid_uid = 1001
last_valid_uid = 1001

also, doveconf -n would be useful.

Here is doveconf -n: https://pastebin.com/raw/s6cKwHGc

attachment0 (1K) Download Attachment

Re: Initialization failed: Namespace '': mkdir(/var/www/mail) failed: Permission denied

Aki Tuomi-2
> On October 26, 2017 at 5:53 PM [hidden email] wrote:
>

>   Quoting Aki Tuomi <[hidden email]>:
>
> >> On October 26, 2017 at 5:40 PM [hidden email] wrote:
> >>
> >>   Quoting Steffen Kaiser <[hidden email]>:
> >>
> >> On Thu, 26 Oct 2017, [hidden email] wrote:
> >>
> >> /dovecot: lda(www-data): Error: user www-data: Initialization
> >> failed: Namespace '': MKDIR(/VAR/WWW/MAIL) failed: Permission
> >> denied (euid=33(www-data) egid=33(www-data) missing +w perm:
> >> /var/www, dir owned by 1001:1001 mode=0755//)  /
> >>
> >> I did some troubleshooting and I don't understand where
> >> the MKDIR(/VAR/WWW/MAIL) is coming from. Mailboxes are in /var/mail
> >> and
> >>
> >> ^^ /var/mail contains the INBOX only
> >>
> >> sending/receiving emails is working as it always did.
> >>
> >> mail_location is still setup to be MAIL_LOCATION =
> >> MBOX:~/MAIL:INBOX=/VAR/MAIL/%U
> >>
> >> Everything else is in ~/MAIL (why uppercase?)
> >>
> >> Why is it trying a mkdir in /var/www?
> >>
> >> Because most likely /var/www is the home directory of www-data and
> >> you've configured to use $HOME/MAIL as base directory, which is
> >> /var/www/mail
> >> - -- Steffen Kaiser
> >>
> >> I don't know where the uppercase is coming from. In the email I've
> >> sent its lower case.
> >>
> >> How can I fix that without changing permissions of /var/www? Where is
> >> $HOME/MAIL configured? Why do I get this error now for the first time,
> >> when there was no change to the system configuration?
> >
> > Probably someone attempted to send email via a crappy script and
> > it's now trying to deliver to www-data.
> >
> > first_valid_uid = 1001
> > last_valid_uid = 1001
> >
> > also, doveconf -n would be useful.
> > Aki
>
> Here is doveconf -n: https://pastebin.com/raw/s6cKwHGc

Home directory is provided by passwd userdb when present in passwd file. to override it, use

userdb {
   driver = passwd
   override_fields = home=/var/mail/%Lu

Re: Initialization failed: Namespace '': mkdir(/var/www/mail) failed: Permission denied

trash
  Quoting Aki Tuomi <[hidden email]>:

>> On October 26, 2017 at 5:53 PM [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>>   Quoting Aki Tuomi <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> On October 26, 2017 at 5:40 PM [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>>   Quoting Steffen Kaiser <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> On Thu, 26 Oct 2017, [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>> /dovecot: lda(www-data): Error: user www-data: Initialization
>> failed: Namespace '': MKDIR(/VAR/WWW/MAIL) failed: Permission
>> denied (euid=33(www-data) egid=33(www-data) missing +w perm:
>> /var/www, dir owned by 1001:1001 mode=0755//)  /
>>
>> I did some troubleshooting and I don't understand where
>> the MKDIR(/VAR/WWW/MAIL) is coming from. Mailboxes are in /var/mail
>> and
>>
>> ^^ /var/mail contains the INBOX only
>>
>> sending/receiving emails is working as it always did.
>>
>> mail_location is still setup to be MAIL_LOCATION =
>> MBOX:~/MAIL:INBOX=/VAR/MAIL/%U
>>
>> Everything else is in ~/MAIL (why uppercase?)
>>
>> Why is it trying a mkdir in /var/www?
>>
>> Because most likely /var/www is the home directory of www-data and
>> you've configured to use $HOME/MAIL as base directory, which is
>> /var/www/mail
>> - -- Steffen Kaiser
>>
>> I don't know where the uppercase is coming from. In the email I've
>> sent its lower case.
>>
>> How can I fix that without changing permissions of /var/www? Where is
>> $HOME/MAIL configured? Why do I get this error now for the first time,
>> when there was no change to the system configuration?
>>
>> Probably someone attempted to send email via a crappy script and
>> it's now trying to deliver to www-data.
>>
>> first_valid_uid = 1001
>> last_valid_uid = 1001
>>
>> also, doveconf -n would be useful.
>> Aki
>>
>> Here is doveconf -n: https://pastebin.com/raw/s6cKwHGc
>
> Home directory is provided by passwd userdb when present in passwd
> file. to override it, use
>
> userdb {
>   driver = passwd
>   override_fields = home=/var/mail/%Lu
> }
> Aki
  Thanks for the quick replies.
  I've checked, and the user database information is stored in
/home/user/mail/ for every user.
  That works as expected without changing anything. I have still the
same question…
  Why is it trying to write to /var/www when the mailbox is in
/var/mail/ and the user data in /home/user/mail/?

attachment0 (1K) Download Attachment

Re: Initialization failed: Namespace '': mkdir(/var/www/mail) failed: Permission denied

trash
  Quoting [hidden email]:

> Quoting Aki Tuomi <[hidden email]>:
>
>>> On October 26, 2017 at 5:53 PM [hidden email] wrote:
>>>
>>>   Quoting Aki Tuomi <[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> On October 26, 2017 at 5:40 PM [hidden email] wrote:
>>>
>>>   Quoting Steffen Kaiser <[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> On Thu, 26 Oct 2017, [hidden email] wrote:
>>>
>>> /dovecot: lda(www-data): Error: user www-data: Initialization
>>> failed: Namespace '': MKDIR(/VAR/WWW/MAIL) failed: Permission
>>> denied (euid=33(www-data) egid=33(www-data) missing +w perm:
>>> /var/www, dir owned by 1001:1001 mode=0755//)  /
>>>
>>> I did some troubleshooting and I don't understand where
>>> the MKDIR(/VAR/WWW/MAIL) is coming from. Mailboxes are in /var/mail
>>> and
>>>
>>> ^^ /var/mail contains the INBOX only
>>>
>>> sending/receiving emails is working as it always did.
>>>
>>> mail_location is still setup to be MAIL_LOCATION =
>>> MBOX:~/MAIL:INBOX=/VAR/MAIL/%U
>>>
>>> Everything else is in ~/MAIL (why uppercase?)
>>>
>>> Why is it trying a mkdir in /var/www?
>>>
>>> Because most likely /var/www is the home directory of www-data and
>>> you've configured to use $HOME/MAIL as base directory, which is
>>> /var/www/mail
>>> - -- Steffen Kaiser
>>>
>>> I don't know where the uppercase is coming from. In the email I've
>>> sent its lower case.
>>>
>>> How can I fix that without changing permissions of /var/www? Where is
>>> $HOME/MAIL configured? Why do I get this error now for the first time,
>>> when there was no change to the system configuration?
>>>
>>> Probably someone attempted to send email via a crappy script and
>>> it's now trying to deliver to www-data.
>>>
>>> first_valid_uid = 1001
>>> last_valid_uid = 1001
>>>
>>> also, doveconf -n would be useful.
>>> Aki
>>>
>>> Here is doveconf -n: https://pastebin.com/raw/s6cKwHGc
>>
>> Home directory is provided by passwd userdb when present in passwd
>> file. to override it, use
>>
>> userdb {
>>   driver = passwd
>>   override_fields = home=/var/mail/%Lu
>> }
>> Aki
>
>   Thanks for the quick replies.
>   I've checked, and the user database information is stored in
> /home/user/mail/ for every user.
>   That works as expected without changing anything. I have still the
> same question…
>   Why is it trying to write to /var/www when the mailbox is in
> /var/mail/ and the user data in /home/user/mail/?

  Ok, got it!

  It's trying to deliver to user www-data and because of below line in
passwd, it attempts to create the dir in www, right?

  /www-data:x:33:33:www-data:/var/www:/usr/sbin/nologin/

  How can I find out with email is causing the error message?

attachment0 (1K) Download Attachment

Re: Initialization failed: Namespace '': mkdir(/var/www/mail) failed: Permission denied

> On October 26, 2017 at 6:40 PM [hidden email] wrote:
>

>   Quoting Aki Tuomi <[hidden email]>:
>
> >> On October 26, 2017 at 5:53 PM [hidden email] wrote:
> >>
> >>   Quoting Aki Tuomi <[hidden email]>:
> >>
> >> On October 26, 2017 at 5:40 PM [hidden email] wrote:
> >>
> >>   Quoting Steffen Kaiser <[hidden email]>:
> >>
> >> On Thu, 26 Oct 2017, [hidden email] wrote:
> >>
> >> /dovecot: lda(www-data): Error: user www-data: Initialization
> >> failed: Namespace '': MKDIR(/VAR/WWW/MAIL) failed: Permission
> >> denied (euid=33(www-data) egid=33(www-data) missing +w perm:
> >> /var/www, dir owned by 1001:1001 mode=0755//)  /
> >>
> >> I did some troubleshooting and I don't understand where
> >> the MKDIR(/VAR/WWW/MAIL) is coming from. Mailboxes are in /var/mail
> >> and
> >>
> >> ^^ /var/mail contains the INBOX only
> >>
> >> sending/receiving emails is working as it always did.
> >>
> >> mail_location is still setup to be MAIL_LOCATION =
> >> MBOX:~/MAIL:INBOX=/VAR/MAIL/%U
> >>
> >> Everything else is in ~/MAIL (why uppercase?)
> >>
> >> Why is it trying a mkdir in /var/www?
> >>
> >> Because most likely /var/www is the home directory of www-data and
> >> you've configured to use $HOME/MAIL as base directory, which is
> >> /var/www/mail
> >> - -- Steffen Kaiser
> >>
> >> I don't know where the uppercase is coming from. In the email I've
> >> sent its lower case.
> >>
> >> How can I fix that without changing permissions of /var/www? Where is
> >> $HOME/MAIL configured? Why do I get this error now for the first time,
> >> when there was no change to the system configuration?
> >>
> >> Probably someone attempted to send email via a crappy script and
> >> it's now trying to deliver to www-data.
> >>
> >> first_valid_uid = 1001
> >> last_valid_uid = 1001
> >>
> >> also, doveconf -n would be useful.
> >> Aki
> >>
> >> Here is doveconf -n: https://pastebin.com/raw/s6cKwHGc
> >
> > Home directory is provided by passwd userdb when present in passwd
> > file. to override it, use
> >
> > userdb {
> >   driver = passwd
> >   override_fields = home=/var/mail/%Lu
> > }
> > Aki
>
>   Thanks for the quick replies.
>   I've checked, and the user database information is stored in
> /home/user/mail/ for every user.
>   That works as expected without changing anything. I have still the
> same question…
>   Why is it trying to write to /var/www when the mailbox is in
> /var/mail/ and the user data in /home/user/mail/?

So you are saying that the home directory field, in /etc/passwd, for user www-data is set to /home/www-data/mail ?

You should consider setting

first_valid_uid = 1000

No, it's /var/www.

 It's trying to deliver to user www-data and because of below line in
passwd, it attempts to create the dir in www, right?

 /www-data:x:33:33:www-data:/var/www:/usr/sbin/nologin/[1]

 How can I find out with email is causing the error message?

Links:
------
[1]

attachment0 (1K) Download Attachment

Re: Initialization failed: Namespace '': mkdir(/var/www/mail) failed: Permission denied

> On October 26, 2017 at 7:10 PM [hidden email] wrote:
>

>   Quoting [hidden email]:

> >> Home directory is provided by passwd userdb when present in passwd
> >> file. to override it, use
> >>
> >> userdb {
> >>   driver = passwd
> >>   override_fields = home=/var/mail/%Lu
> >> }
> >> Aki
> >
> >   Thanks for the quick replies.
> >   I've checked, and the user database information is stored in
> > /home/user/mail/ for every user.
> >   That works as expected without changing anything. I have still the
> > same question…
> >   Why is it trying to write to /var/www when the mailbox is in
> > /var/mail/ and the user data in /home/user/mail/?
> >

>   Ok, got it!
>
>   It's trying to deliver to user www-data and because of below line in
> passwd, it attempts to create the dir in www, right?
>
>   /www-data:x:33:33:www-data:/var/www:/usr/sbin/nologin/
>
>   How can I find out with email is causing the error message?

If you are using postfix, try mailq

> [...]

>> file. to override it, use
>>
>> userdb {
>>   driver = passwd
>>   override_fields = home=/var/mail/%Lu
>> }
>> Aki
>>
>>    Thanks for the quick replies.
>>    I've checked, and the user database information is stored in
>> /home/user/mail/ for every user.
>>    That works as expected without changing anything. I have still the
>> same question…
>>    Why is it trying to write to /var/www when the mailbox is in
>> /var/mail/ and the user data in /home/user/mail/?
>>

>>   Ok, got it!
>>
>>   It's trying to deliver to user www-data and because of below line in
>> passwd, it attempts to create the dir in www, right?
>>
>>   /www-data:x:33:33:www-data:/var/www:/usr/sbin/nologin/[1]
>>
>>   How can I find out with email is causing the error message?

Resolved!

I've added an alias (/etc/aliases) to deliver mail for www-data to
user admin. I then delivered all messages by running: postqueue -f
I've checked the messages and it seems to be that a wordpress plugin
was sending to www-data.

Thanks for the help, getting me in the right direction.

Links:
------
[1]

attachment0 (1K) Download Attachment