Is imap "list" required before imap "select" for shared folder?

Is imap "list" required before imap "select" for shared folder?

Dovecot mailing list

I set up a shared mailbox with dovecot and it basically works. However,
before I can imap SELECT or STATUS the shared mailbox I have to first do
an imap LIST, i.e,

. list "" *

If list is not done first, the imap select or status command on the
shared mailbox results in a "NO" response with "mailbox doesn't exist"
response text.

I can provide more information if this is not expected behavior.

-gene

Re: Is imap "list" required before imap "select" for shared folder?

Dovecot mailing list

On 07/10/2019 22:23 Gene Smith via dovecot < [hidden email]> wrote:

I set up a shared mailbox with dovecot and it basically works. However,
before I can imap SELECT or STATUS the shared mailbox I have to first do
an imap LIST, i.e,

. list "" *

If list is not done first, the imap select or status command on the
shared mailbox results in a "NO" response with "mailbox doesn't exist"
response text.

I can provide more information if this is not expected behavior.

-gene

Hi!

This is not expected. Please turn on mail_debug=yes, provide doveconf -n and relevant logs.
---
Aki Tuomi

On 10/7/19 3:50 PM, Aki Tuomi wrote:

>> On 07/10/2019 22:23 Gene Smith via dovecot < [hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>

>> I set up a shared mailbox with dovecot and it basically works. However,
>> before I can imap SELECT or STATUS the shared mailbox I have to first do
>> an imap LIST, i.e,
>>
>> . list "" *
>>
>> If list is not done first, the imap select or status command on the
>> shared mailbox results in a "NO" response with "mailbox doesn't exist"
>> response text.
>>
>> I can provide more information if this is not expected behavior.
>>
>> -gene
>
> Hi!
>
> This is not expected. Please turn on mail_debug=yes, provide doveconf -n
> and relevant logs.
>
> ---
> Aki Tuomi

I found that if I disable the "listescape" plug-in, the problem goes
away. I don't see this problem mentioned in the release notes but I
guess it might have been solved in a newer release than I am using.

I did find the same problem reported a while back here:
https://dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2016-February/103148.html

I am attaching the requested information: configuration dump and mail
log. Also included is the telnet session I used to produce the problem.

I am only using dovecot for testing imap related issue with Thunderbird,
not as a "real" imap server.

-gene

doveconf.txt (39K) Download Attachment