JMAP support?

Mark Constable
On Fri Jan 25 2019 Aki wrote:
 > There is no JMAP support in any dovecot version yet.

Two years on so what is the status of JMAP support in Dovecot now?

Re: JMAP support?

@lbutlr
On 08 Mar 2021, at 00:11, Mark Constable <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Fri Jan 25 2019 Aki wrote:
> > There is no JMAP support in any dovecot version yet.
>
> Two years on so what is the status of JMAP support in Dovecot now?

I don't think anything has changed on this front.

Last I saw, only Cyrus has partial support for JMAP mail, but not the other parts of JMAP.

--
The fact is that camels are far more intelligent than dolphins.
        Footnote: Never trust a species that grins all the time. It's up
        to something. --Pyramids

Re: JMAP support?

Mark Constable
On 8/3/21 18:08, @lbutlr wrote:
>> Two years on so what is the status of JMAP support in Dovecot now?
>
> I don't think anything has changed on this front. Last I saw, only
> Cyrus has partial support for JMAP mail, but not the other parts of
> JMAP.

Such a pity. I just two weeks battling with Cyrus-imapd just to test
out the Cypht JMAP client and frankly Cyrus is an ill-documented PITA,
to put it bluntly.

 From charter-ietf-jmap-03 "Now that draft-ietf-jmap-mail is completed,
the working group will produce specifications for related data types,
beginning with calendars and contacts." So "JSON Mail Access Protocol"
is done and jmap + websockets is on the way...

https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc8887.html

so I guess, minus cyrus-imapd, it's down to these fledgling projects...

https://github.com/search?q=jmap+server

No doubt I will ask about Dovecots JMAP status in another 12 months.

Re: JMAP support?

@lbutlr
On 08 Mar 2021, at 02:15, Mark Constable <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 8/3/21 18:08, @lbutlr wrote:
>>> Two years on so what is the status of JMAP support in Dovecot now?
>> I don't think anything has changed on this front. Last I saw, only Cyrus has partial support for JMAP mail, but not the other parts of JMAP.
>
> Such a pity. I just two weeks battling with Cyrus-imapd just to test
> out the Cypht JMAP client and frankly Cyrus is an ill-documented PITA,
> to put it bluntly.

That was my experience with it many years ago.
> so I guess, minus cyrus-imapd, it's down to these fledgling projects...
>
> https://github.com/search?q=jmap+server

Not a lot there and about half of it hasn't nbeen touched in 5 years.

There doesn't seem to be much interest in JMAP ou there, which means it is going to be pretty hard to get something working well unless you write it yourself.

James (from apache) might be a solution? What does Roundcube recommend? As I understand it you don't need a "Mail server" for JMAP as it uses JSON over http.

Also, I doubt that 12 months will bring any changes, the last post I saw from Aki (didn't look too hard) mentioned Dovecot 2.5.

--
'People need vampires,' she [Granny] said. 'They helps 'em remember
        what stakes and garlic are for.' --Carpe Jugulum

Re: JMAP support?

Leonardo Rodrigues Magalhães
Em 08/03/2021 16:43, @lbutlr escreveu:
> On 08 Mar 2021, at 02:15, Mark Constable <[hidden email]> wrote:
> There doesn't seem to be much interest in JMAP ou there, which means it is going to be pretty hard to get something working well unless you write it yourself.

     Or sponsor its development, if the OP is so interested on it!

--

        Atenciosamente / Sincerily,
        Leonardo Rodrigues

        My SPAMTRAP, do not email it

Re: JMAP support?

@lbutlr
On 08 Mar 2021, at 14:04, Leonardo Rodrigues <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Em 08/03/2021 16:43, @lbutlr escreveu:
>> On 08 Mar 2021, at 02:15, Mark Constable <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> There doesn't seem to be much interest in JMAP ou there, which means it is going to be pretty hard to get something working well unless you write it yourself.

>     Or sponsor its development, if the OP is so interested on it!

I checked and Roundcube-next appears to be a dead project, so I'd really not hold out much hope.

NO ONE WANTS TO HEAR ABOUT MY SCIATICA Bart chalkboard Ep. AABF09

Re: JMAP support?

Philip
Didn't JMAP get included with v2.3 with the HTTP API?

https://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot-news/2016-March/000313.html

Or maybe that was just for admin things.

Phil

On 09/03/2021 11:26, @lbutlr wrote:
> On 08 Mar 2021, at 14:04, Leonardo Rodrigues <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Em 08/03/2021 16:43, @lbutlr escreveu:
>>> On 08 Mar 2021, at 02:15, Mark Constable <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> There doesn't seem to be much interest in JMAP ou there, which means it is going to be pretty hard to get something working well unless you write it yourself.
>>      Or sponsor its development, if the OP is so interested on it!
> I checked and Roundcube-next appears to be a dead project, so I'd really not hold out much hope.

Re: JMAP support?

Jean-Daniel Dupas
The HTTP API is just for doveadm and is not related in anyway to JMAP AFAIK.

> Le 8 mars 2021 à 23:52, Philip <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Didn't JMAP get included with v2.3 with the HTTP API?
>
> https://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot-news/2016-March/000313.html
>
> Or maybe that was just for admin things.
>
> Phil
>
> On 09/03/2021 11:26, @lbutlr wrote:
>>>     Or sponsor its development, if the OP is so interested on it!
>> I checked and Roundcube-next appears to be a dead project, so I'd really not hold out much hope.

Re: JMAP support?

Julio Cesar Covolato
Em 09/03/2021 05:43, Jean-Daniel escreveu:
Hi.
> The HTTP API is just for doveadm and is not related in anyway to JMAP AFAIK.

Are there any web-admin for dovecot/doveadm?

Thanks

----------------------------------
     _    Engº Julio Cesar Covolato
    0v0   <[hidden email]>
   /(_)\  F: 55-11-99175-9260
    ^ ^   PSI INTERNET

Re: JMAP support?

Timo Sirainen-3
On 8. Mar 2021, at 8.11, Mark Constable <[hidden email]> wrote:
Two years on so what is the status of JMAP support in Dovecot now?

Lots of work, and nobody really seems to want it that much, so we're not actively working on it. There are also some generic optimization and code cleanup steps along the way that are slowly happening, and after those it should be easier to implement JMAP (or some other HTTP based protocol).