Keeping \Seen flag private

Bugzilla from imobachgs@banot.net
Hi all,

I wanna to set up shared folders for a couple of users and I'd like that
everyone could keep the \Seen flag as private. So if user #1 reads some
messages and user #2 not, those messages appear as "unseen" to #2 and "seen"
to #1.

I've implemented shared folders using namespaces with every user having their
own "control" and "private" directories. But all the flags (\Seen included)
are "shared".

Am I on the right path? Some tip or documentation?

Oh, I almost forgot: using dovecot 1.0.13 (from Debian Etch backports).

Thank you in advance!

--
Imobach González Sosa
Banot.net
http://www.banot.net/

Re: Keeping \Seen flag private

Adam McDougall
Imobach González Sosa wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I wanna to set up shared folders for a couple of users and I'd like that
> everyone could keep the \Seen flag as private. So if user #1 reads some
> messages and user #2 not, those messages appear as "unseen" to #2 and "seen"
> to #1.
>
> I've implemented shared folders using namespaces with every user having their
> own "control" and "private" directories. But all the flags (\Seen included)
> are "shared".
>
> Am I on the right path? Some tip or documentation?
>
> Oh, I almost forgot: using dovecot 1.0.13 (from Debian Etch backports).
>
> Thank you in advance!

 From Timo, I wanted the same thing so I patch the source each time:

src/lib-storage/index/maildir/maildir-storage.c

near line 428,
change:
               mbox->ibox.box.private_flags_mask = MAIL_SEEN;
to:
               mbox->ibox.box.private_flags_mask = 0;

Actually sorry, I might have gotten that backwards.  You should be able
to use the ACL plugin to disallow users to update Seen.

El Friday 27 June 2008 19:32:52 Adam McDougall escribió:

> Adam McDougall wrote:
> > Imobach González Sosa wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I wanna to set up shared folders for a couple of users and I'd like
> >> that everyone could keep the \Seen flag as private. So if user #1
> >> reads some messages and user #2 not, those messages appear as
> >> "unseen" to #2 and "seen" to #1.
> >>
> >> I've implemented shared folders using namespaces with every user
> >> having their own "control" and "private" directories. But all the
> >> flags (\Seen included) are "shared".
> >>
> >> Am I on the right path? Some tip or documentation?
> >>
> >> Oh, I almost forgot: using dovecot 1.0.13 (from Debian Etch backports).
> >>
> >> Thank you in advance!
> >
> > From Timo, I wanted the same thing so I patch the source each time:
> >
> > src/lib-storage/index/maildir/maildir-storage.c
> >
> > near line 428,
> > change:
> >               mbox->ibox.box.private_flags_mask = MAIL_SEEN;
> > to:
> >               mbox->ibox.box.private_flags_mask = 0;
>
> Actually sorry, I might have gotten that backwards.  You should be able
> to use the ACL plugin to disallow users to update Seen.

Thanks anyway :)

There's no problem in disallowing the users to update the Seen flag. What I
want is that every user have their own Seen flags.

Imobach González Sosa
Banot.net
http://www.banot.net/

Re: Keeping \Seen flag private

Asheesh Laroia
On Fri, 27 Jun 2008, Imobach González Sosa wrote:

> There's no problem in disallowing the users to update the Seen flag.
> What I want is that every user have their own Seen flags.

Timo and others will know more; but for me, I would just deliver the
messages to multiple people and see that Dovecot deliver will use
hardlinks for the multiple deliveries - that way, the message flags in the
filename are still canonical.

-- Asheesh.

The light at the end of the tunnel may be an oncoming dragon.

On Fri, 2008-06-27 at 15:09 +0100, Imobach González Sosa wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I wanna to set up shared folders for a couple of users and I'd like that
> everyone could keep the \Seen flag as private. So if user #1 reads some
> messages and user #2 not, those messages appear as "unseen" to #2 and "seen"
> to #1.
>
> I've implemented shared folders using namespaces with every user having their
> own "control" and "private" directories. But all the flags (\Seen included)
> are "shared".
>
> Am I on the right path? Some tip or documentation?
I updated http://wiki.dovecot.org/SharedMailboxes now to mention flag
sharing.

El Friday 27 June 2008 21:08:30 Asheesh Laroia escribió:
> On Fri, 27 Jun 2008, Imobach González Sosa wrote:
> > There's no problem in disallowing the users to update the Seen flag.
> > What I want is that every user have their own Seen flags.
>
> Timo and others will know more; but for me, I would just deliver the
> messages to multiple people and see that Dovecot deliver will use
> hardlinks for the multiple deliveries - that way, the message flags in the
> filename are still canonical.

Yes, it could be a solution. But our user's requirements are a bit of...
strange? They want one of them to manage the folder (with subfolders) and the
rest of them only can read messages.

Thanks anyway for your suggestion!

--
Imobach González Sosa
Banot.net
http://www.banot.net/

El Saturday 28 June 2008 07:25:31 Timo Sirainen escribió:

> On Fri, 2008-06-27 at 15:09 +0100, Imobach González Sosa wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I wanna to set up shared folders for a couple of users and I'd like that
> > everyone could keep the \Seen flag as private. So if user #1 reads some
> > messages and user #2 not, those messages appear as "unseen" to #2 and
> > "seen" to #1.
> >
> > I've implemented shared folders using namespaces with every user having
> > their own "control" and "private" directories. But all the flags (\Seen
> > included) are "shared".
> >
> > Am I on the right path? Some tip or documentation?
>
> I updated http://wiki.dovecot.org/SharedMailboxes now to mention flag
> sharing.

Ah, great! Thank you very much, Timo!

--