Limit the nuumber of mails POPped at a time

K F

Limit the nuumber of mails POPped at a time

K F
Hi All
I'm completely new to the world of Dovecot, so please bear with me if this is a simple noob question (which I fer it is :-) )
I have a postfix/dovecot setup for handling specific mails for clients.
I have a piece of software with a mailclient that has problems when it POP's large amounts of mail. Unfortunately the system can't be updated or fixed.So I'm trying to figure out if I can limit the number of mails that can be seen via Dovecot.
The procedure would be likeThe client connects.
Dovecot limits the number of mails to 300.
The client fetches and deletes the POPped mails immediately after retreivel.Next time it POPs it has the next batch.
So it would be a question of always presenting a maximum of 300 mails via the POP3.Is it doable?

Dovecot is version 2.2.10Server is a CentOS 7.
Best regardsK

Re: Limit the nuumber of mails POPped at a time

Joseph Tam-2

> I have a piece of software with a mailclient that has problems when it
> POP's large amounts of mail.  Unfortunately the system can't be updated
> or fixed.So I'm trying to figure out if I can limit the number of mails
> that can be seen via Dovecot.
> So it would be a question of always presenting a maximum of 300 mails
> via the POP3.Is it doable?

You're probably solving the wrong problem -- the mail client really
ought to be able to process 300+ messages.  It may be a better use
of time to fix that than to torture dovecot to give you what you want.

You can try using a plugin to define a virtual INBOX

  https://wiki.dovecot.org/Plugins/Virtual

with search/selection criteria to limit the number of messages.

You can also try some LDA script (e.g. procmail) hackery to create INBOX
volumes of 300 messages, then do some shuffling around when the INBOX
gets emptied.

Joseph Tam <[hidden email]>