Newbie question...

Michael Segel-2
Hi,

I’ve downloaded and built dovecot from the source.
Now I’ve run in to a couple of issues.
Like namespaces.

Is there an example of the namespaces settings?  Nothing fancy, just the basics…

These are private mailboxes, but still need to know what I have to do to set this correctly.

Thanks In Advance,

-Mike

Re: Newbie question...

Steffen Kaiser-9

Re: Newbie question...

SH Development
I see you haven’t received an answer.  Sorry people here don’t seem to have time or inclination to answer basic questions.  I’ve tried.  You’re better to search elsewhere.

Ethon

> On Oct 11, 2017, at 12:17 PM, Michael Segel <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I’ve downloaded and built dovecot from the source.
> Now I’ve run in to a couple of issues.
> Like namespaces.
>
> Is there an example of the namespaces settings?  Nothing fancy, just the basics…
>
> These are private mailboxes, but still need to know what I have to do to set this correctly.
>
> Thanks In Advance,
>
> -Mike

Re: Newbie question...

Aki Tuomi-2
Here is a simple template you can use as quick start example, and what you can expand later on, feel free to adapt your needs

mail_home=/home/vmail/%Lu
mail_location=sdbox:~/Mail
mail_uid = vmail
mail_gid = vmail

passdb {
  driver = static
  args = password=pass
}

ssl=yes
ssl_cert=<cert.pem
ssl_key=<key.pem

namespace {
  inbox = yes
  separator = /
}

ps. Ethon, this is a community effort, no one is getting paid to do this, so sometimes it takes time for people to actually write responses as they might have other, more pressing things to do. If you want expedited service, please consider getting paid support. Or consider helping out yourself instead?

> On October 16, 2017 at 6:39 AM SH Development <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> I see you haven’t received an answer.  Sorry people here don’t seem to have time or inclination to answer basic questions.  I’ve tried.  You’re better to search elsewhere.
>
> Ethon
>

> > On Oct 11, 2017, at 12:17 PM, Michael Segel <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I’ve downloaded and built dovecot from the source.
> > Now I’ve run in to a couple of issues.
> > Like namespaces.
> >
> > Is there an example of the namespaces settings?  Nothing fancy, just the basics…
> >
> > These are private mailboxes, but still need to know what I have to do to set this correctly.
> >
> > Thanks In Advance,
> >
> > -Mike

Re: Newbie question...

SH Development
I DID offer my help privately.  And I have attempted on NUMEROUS occasions to contract somebody to help with ZERO response.  So, you’ll excuse me if I have an attitude.

Ethon

> On Oct 15, 2017, at 11:27 PM, Aki Tuomi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Here is a simple template you can use as quick start example, and what you can expand later on, feel free to adapt your needs
>
> mail_home=/home/vmail/%Lu
> mail_location=sdbox:~/Mail
> mail_uid = vmail
> mail_gid = vmail
>
> passdb {
> driver = static
> args = password=pass
> }
>
> ssl=yes
> ssl_cert=<cert.pem
> ssl_key=<key.pem
>
> namespace {
> inbox = yes
> separator = /
> }
>
> ps. Ethon, this is a community effort, no one is getting paid to do this, so sometimes it takes time for people to actually write responses as they might have other, more pressing things to do. If you want expedited service, please consider getting paid support. Or consider helping out yourself instead?
>
>> On October 16, 2017 at 6:39 AM SH Development <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> I see you haven’t received an answer.  Sorry people here don’t seem to have time or inclination to answer basic questions.  I’ve tried.  You’re better to search elsewhere.
>>
>> Ethon
>>

>>> On Oct 11, 2017, at 12:17 PM, Michael Segel <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I’ve downloaded and built dovecot from the source.
>>> Now I’ve run in to a couple of issues.
>>> Like namespaces.
>>>
>>> Is there an example of the namespaces settings?  Nothing fancy, just the basics…
>>>
>>> These are private mailboxes, but still need to know what I have to do to set this correctly.
>>>
>>> Thanks In Advance,
>>>
>>> -Mike

Re: Newbie question...

Ruben Safir
On 10/16/2017 12:32 AM, SH Development wrote:
> I DID offer my help privately.

that is pretty much worthless as it creates no record to benefit others
in the future.  Bad form and it is inappropriate list behavior.

Re: Newbie question...

SH Development
I agonize for long periods of time (usually weeks) before I resort to posting on the dovecot or postfix list when I can’t seem to get around a problem.  Particularly in situations where I need help with basic understanding of some things.

At least privately, those who are willing to help, and those I am able to help in turn don’t have to endure the condescending attitude of the bulk of the list while we have our newbie conversations on the side.

At the very least, in my field of proficiency, I refer people to a source on the internet where someone can start if I don’t have the time to explain something.  Not so here.  My question is still unanswered to this date.

Ethon