Online backup with dovecot

Johan Marklund
Hi!

Do you guys/girls (whichever you prefer) know if it's possible (i.e. in
some semitransparent/easy way) to incorporate an online backup system?
If the mail is older than a set amount of days it gets compressed.

I want my mail storage size to shrink but on the other hand I want to
keep the mails I get and have them easily readable :)

I'm thinking of symlinks and some kind of gzip fuse filesystem... Please
save me ,)

/yosh

Re: Online backup with dovecot

Asheesh Laroia
On Tue, 24 Jun 2008, Johan 'yosh' Marklund wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Do you guys/girls (whichever you prefer) know if it's possible (i.e. in
> some semitransparent/easy way) to incorporate an online backup system?
> If the mail is older than a set amount of days it gets compressed.
>
> I want my mail storage size to shrink but on the other hand I want to
> keep the mails I get and have them easily readable :)
>
> I'm thinking of symlinks and some kind of gzip fuse filesystem... Please
> save me ,)

You could always compress *everything* - I have vague recollections of
the ability to gzip the files in a live Maildir, as discussed at e.g.
http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2005-June/007703.html .

-- Asheesh.

Use only in a well-ventilated area.

Mail lists

Tom-100
I apologize if this is on the wiki or in the documentation, but I can't
get to either website for some reason right now.

What's a good way to set up mail lists where [hidden email] would
relay to everyone in my company? I have a virtual user setup using MySQL
as the backend using Dovecot 1.0.something.

Thanks,
Tom

Re: Mail lists

Curtis Maloney
Tom wrote:
> I apologize if this is on the wiki or in the documentation, but I can't
> get to either website for some reason right now.
>
> What's a good way to set up mail lists where [hidden email] would
> relay to everyone in my company? I have a virtual user setup using MySQL
> as the backend using Dovecot 1.0.something.

I take it you don't want to go to the (relatively small) effort of
installing a mailing list manager like Mailman.

I would say a good solution which would also save you disk space would be a
shared folder.

Have "everyone" deliver to its own mailbox, and give everyone access to it
via a Namespace.

There are some fiddly bits to play with if you want everyone to have their
own status flags, but I believe this is all covered in the wiki - and if
not, in this list.

HTH.

--
Curtis Maloney