Outlook 2019 and IMAP

We've just upgraded a few of our desktops to use Outlook 2019, and the configuration is different from previous versions. There doesn't appear to be any ability to specify a username in addition to the user's email address.

The username is different than the username specified in the email address. I had read about setting auth_username_format, but the user login name is "user" while the email address is [hidden email].

I've included below my dovecot -n config.

# 2.3.7.2 (3c910f64b): /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# Pigeonhole version 0.5.7.2 (7372921a)
# OS: Linux 5.1.16-300.fc30.x86_64 x86_64 Fedora release 30 (Thirty)
# Hostname: orion.inside.example.com
mail_gid = mail
mail_home = mail/
mail_location = mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/spool/mail/%u
mail_max_userip_connections = 500
mail_plugins = " listescape"
mail_privileged_group = mail
managesieve_notify_capability = mailto
managesieve_sieve_capability = fileinto reject envelope encoded-character vacation subaddress comparator-i;ascii-numeric relational rege
x imap4flags copy include variables body enotify environment mailbox date index ihave duplicate mime foreverypart extracttext
mbox_write_locks = fcntl
namespace inbox {
  inbox = yes
  location =
  mailbox Drafts {
    special_use = \Drafts
  }
  mailbox Junk {
    special_use = \Junk
  }
  mailbox Sent {
    special_use = \Sent
  }
  mailbox "Sent Messages" {
    special_use = \Sent
  }
  mailbox Trash {
    special_use = \Trash
  }
  prefix =
}
passdb {
  driver = pam
}
passdb {
  driver = pam
}
protocols = imap pop3
service auth {
    group = postfix
    mode = 0660
    user = postfix
service imap-login {
  inet_listener imap {
    port = 0
  }
  inet_listener imaps {
    port = 993
  }
  process_min_avail = 6
  service_count = 0
  vsz_limit = 512 M
}
service pop3-login {
  inet_listener pop3 {
    port = 0
  }
  inet_listener pop3s {
    address = 192.168.1.100
    port = 995
ssl_cert = </etc/letsencrypt/fullchain.pem
ssl_cipher_list = ALL:!LOW:!EXP:!aNULL:!RC4::!eNULL:!LOW:!3DES:!MD5:!EXP:!PSK:!SRP:!DSS
ssl_dh = # hidden, use -P to show it
ssl_key = # hidden, use -P to show it
ssl_prefer_server_ciphers = yes
userdb {
  driver = passwd
}
userdb {
  driver = passwd

Re: Outlook 2019 and IMAP

Am 12.09.2019 um 17:52 schrieb John Regan via dovecot:

> Hi,
>
> We've just upgraded a few of our desktops to use Outlook 2019, and the
> configuration is different from previous versions. There doesn't appear
> to be any ability to specify a username in addition to the user's email
> address.
>
> The username is different than the username specified in the email
> address. I had read about setting auth_username_format, but the user
> login name is "user" while the email address is [hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>. >

The same issue we faced recently. Outlook seems to support only
autodiscover. As a workaround, you should be able to create the Outlook
profile via the E-Mail settings in the system control panel. This brings
back the ability to configure IMAP servers and user name different from
the email address.

Viele Grüße
Matthias

--