Performance mdbox vs mbox

Dovecot mailing list

If I do the same test[1] with mbox I can store around 31k messages and
mdbox 16k messages. I noticed also that cpu and disk utilization with
mdbox was not very high, while disk utilization on mbox was much higher.
That makes me wonder if I can tune mdbox to have better performance?

[1]
imaptest - append=100,0 logout=0 host=svr port=143 user=test pass=xxx
seed=100 secs=240 clients=1 mbox=64kb.mbox box=inbox/test

[2]
mail_location =
mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/spool/mail/%u:CONTROL=~/mail/control:INDEX=/var/d
ovecot/%u/index:LAYOUT=maildir++
mail_location = mdbox:~/mdbox:INDEX=/home/popindex/%u/index

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -.
F1 Outsourcing Development Sp. z o.o.
Poland

t:  +48 (0)124466845
f:  +48 (0)124466843
e:  [hidden email]

Re: Performance mdbox vs mbox

Dovecot mailing list
On 26 Nov 2019, at 04:15, Marc Roos <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If I do the same test[1] with mbox I can store around 31k messages and
> mdbox 16k messages. I noticed also that cpu and disk utilization with
> mdbox was not very high, while disk utilization on mbox was much higher.
> That makes me wonder if I can tune mdbox to have better performance?

No one should use box for anything. It was designed for mail stores of a few megabytes.

*Every* other choice is better.

--
My little brother got his arm stuck in the microwave. So my mom had
        to take him to the hospital. My grandma dropped acid this