Pigeonhole vacation and envelope extension recipient addresses

Pigeonhole vacation and envelope extension recipient addresses

Dave-2

I have a situation where my LMTP RCPT TO: goes to a mailbox user account that
does not reflect either the final (through aliasing) or envelope email address.

SMTP RCPT TO:    (envelope-local-part@envelope-domain)
Final Recipient: (final-local-part@final-domain)
LMTP RCPT TO:    (mailbox-local-part@mailbox-domain)

I'd like to use the final recipient as the vacation address, but also have the
envelope recipient address used in place of the LTMP RCPT TO for the envelope
extension.

At the moment it looks like I can set one or the other?

Let's say I add an x-final-to and x-envelope-to header to the email headers
before delivering via LMTP.

Then, setting:

sieve_vacation_use_original_recipient = yes
lda_original_recipient_header         = x-final-to

will get the vacation replies coming from where I'd like, but the envelope
extension will not reflect the original SMTP envelope to.

Conversely, setting:

lda_original_recipient_header         = x-envelope-to

might get the envelope extension working correctly, but will not give vacation
replies from where I'd like.

Is there some way anyone is aware of to configure both final and envelope
senders based on email headers (that doesn't involve lda flags, these are on
different systems), or am I currently out of luck? I've tried playing with DSN
ORCPT but it seems like a non-starter trying to get it passed through (exim)

David Zambonini

Re: Pigeonhole vacation and envelope extension recipient addresses

Stephan Bosch-2

Op 23-10-2017 om 14:51 schreef David Zambonini:
> I have a situation where my LMTP RCPT TO: goes to a mailbox user account that
> does not reflect either the final (through aliasing) or envelope email address.
>
> SMTP RCPT TO:    (envelope-local-part@envelope-domain)
> Final Recipient: (final-local-part@final-domain)
> LMTP RCPT TO:    (mailbox-local-part@mailbox-domain)

I don't understand the difference between the last two. The first one is
what I call the original recipient, the last one is what I call the
final recipient.

How is this supposed to work?

Regards,

Stephan.

On 31/10/2017 14:24, Stephan Bosch wrote:

> Op 23-10-2017 om 14:51 schreef David Zambonini:
>> I have a situation where my LMTP RCPT TO: goes to a mailbox user account that
>> does not reflect either the final (through aliasing) or envelope email address.
>>
>> SMTP RCPT TO:    (envelope-local-part@envelope-domain)
>> Final Recipient: (final-local-part@final-domain)
>> LMTP RCPT TO:    (mailbox-local-part@mailbox-domain)
>
> I don't understand the difference between the last two. The first one is what I
> call the original recipient, the last one is what I call the final recipient.
>
> How is this supposed to work?

Well, the point it that that it doesn't currently. Yes, you're correct on the
first one, but our LMTP recipients aren't public email addresses, so the LMTP
recipient isn't the "final" email address, but the address prior to that
(internal aliasing on the MTA and inserted as a different header). It's a
many-to-one mapping so it couldn't just be aliased back the other way by the MTA
using a reverse path, either.

--
Dave