Quota and maildir does not work with subfolders of INBOX

Quota and maildir does not work with subfolders of INBOX

we just upgraded on FreeBSD (11.2-p14) from Dovecot 2.2 to Dovecot
2.3.7.2 and now we have kind of a big problem: the quota-plugin does not
work correctly anymore. If a user has a subfolder of the INBOX (like
.INBOX.foobar) the quota-calculation does not work anymore. It seems to
be arbitrary but users get counted like double and more than they
actually have in mails (the number of mails is correct, but the size
gets calculated wrongly).
The moment I remove those folders, the size gets calculated correctly.
Unfortunately those folders are generated by some clients automatically
afaik (like .INBOX.Trash)

What can we do about that?

There were already messages to the list about this in July 2018 but I
didn't find any solution
https://dovecot.org/pipermail/dovecot/2018-July/112439.html
https://dovecot.org/pipermail/dovecot/2018-July/112440.html

Niels

Re: Quota and maildir does not work with subfolders of INBOX

Dovecot mailing list
On 9 Sep 2019, at 09:27, Niels Kobschätzki <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The moment I remove those folders, the size gets calculated correctly. Unfortunately those folders are generated by some clients automatically afaik (like .INBOX.Trash)

That sounds like a misconfiguration of the IMAP client. Someone has gone in and improperly set INBOX as the IMAP path Prefix in their MUA.

I used to have this problem with some users until I implemented repeated and consistent application of a clue bat.

I don’t know of a server-side setting to prevent users from screwing up this setting, but maybe?

but then a lot of nice things turn bad out there

On 9/9/19 6:18 PM, @lbutlr via dovecot wrote:
> On 9 Sep 2019, at 09:27, Niels Kobschätzki <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The moment I remove those folders, the size gets calculated correctly. Unfortunately those folders are generated by some clients automatically afaik (like .INBOX.Trash)
>> That sounds like a misconfiguration of the IMAP client. Someone has
gone in and improperly set INBOX as the IMAP path Prefix in their MUA.

The thing is that it worked before. Even when the user misconfigured
their client in such a way, the quota-plugin shouldn't just throw some
dice to get to a arbitrarily high quota the user has used instead of the
right amount.

> I used to have this problem with some users until I implemented repeated and consistent application of a clue bat.

Some users is in my case (as far as I guess) like 0.5%

> I don’t know of a server-side setting to prevent users from screwing up this setting, but maybe?

Wouldn't that break existing accounts?

Niels

If so, in a direct email, Timo suggested using the 'count' quota (instead of the Maildir++ quota). I've not yet been able to test that to verify, due to the large amount of mailboxes and the reliance on maildirsize file for some of our tools.

On 10. Sep 2019, at 22:09, Mark Moseley via dovecot <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Mon, Sep 9, 2019 at 8:57 PM Niels Kobschätzki via dovecot <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 9/9/19 6:18 PM, @lbutlr via dovecot wrote:
> On 9 Sep 2019, at 09:27, Niels Kobschätzki <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The moment I remove those folders, the size gets calculated correctly. Unfortunately those folders are generated by some clients automatically afaik (like .INBOX.Trash)
>> That sounds like a misconfiguration of the IMAP client. Someone has
gone in and improperly set INBOX as the IMAP path Prefix in their MUA.

The thing is that it worked before. Even when the user misconfigured
their client in such a way, the quota-plugin shouldn't just throw some
dice to get to a arbitrarily high quota the user has used instead of the
right amount.

> I used to have this problem with some users until I implemented repeated and consistent application of a clue bat.

Some users is in my case (as far as I guess) like 0.5%

> I don’t know of a server-side setting to prevent users from screwing up this setting, but maybe?

Wouldn't that break existing accounts?

If so, in a direct email, Timo suggested using the 'count' quota (instead of the Maildir++ quota). I've not yet been able to test that to verify, due to the large amount of mailboxes and the reliance on maildirsize file for some of our tools.

This could be it but according to the documentation I don’t want to risk that performance hit. I have a high number of accounts as well and I don’t want to risk that performance hit when switching even though all boxes should be indexed.

Niels