Re: messages downloading repeatedly to mozilla/seamonkey pop3 client

Re: messages downloading repeatedly to mozilla/seamonkey pop3 client

Timo Sirainen
Do you still have this problem? You could try setting mail_location
explicitly to see if it changes anything
(http://wiki.dovecot.org/MailLocation).

On Tue, 2008-03-11 at 17:25 -0400, Ben Julian wrote:

> Timo,
>   The user can't access the mailbox directly under normal use
> circumstances.  He doesn't have a smb share setup to allow him access
> to the mbox file.  As far as I know, the only program besides dovecot
> doing editing of the mail is spamassassin, but that happens before the
> mail is written to the mbox.  Perhaps I am misunderstanding your
> question?
> -Ben
>
> On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 9:26 PM, Timo Sirainen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2008-03-05 at 15:17 -0500, Ben Julian wrote:
> >  > Mar  3 10:37:00 servername dovecot: POP3(user): mbox sync: UID
> >  > inserted in the middle of mailbox /var/mail/user (84873 > 84872,
> >  > seq=2, idx_msgs=3)
> >
> >  This is the main problem, these shouldn't happen. Can the user access
> >  the mailboxes directly?
> >
> >  See http://wiki.dovecot.org/MboxProblems

Re: messages downloading repeatedly to mozilla/seamonkey pop3 client

Mark Sapiro-3
On Sun, May 04, 2008 at 05:35:31PM +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> Do you still have this problem? You could try setting mail_location
> explicitly to see if it changes anything
> (http://wiki.dovecot.org/MailLocation).
>
> On Tue, 2008-03-11 at 17:25 -0400, Ben Julian wrote:
> > Timo,
> >   The user can't access the mailbox directly under normal use
> > circumstances.  He doesn't have a smb share setup to allow him access
> > to the mbox file.  As far as I know, the only program besides dovecot
> > doing editing of the mail is spamassassin, but that happens before the
> > mail is written to the mbox.  Perhaps I am misunderstanding your
> > question?
> > -Ben
> >
> > On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 9:26 PM, Timo Sirainen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > On Wed, 2008-03-05 at 15:17 -0500, Ben Julian wrote:
> > >  > Mar  3 10:37:00 servername dovecot: POP3(user): mbox sync: UID
> > >  > inserted in the middle of mailbox /var/mail/user (84873 > 84872,
> > >  > seq=2, idx_msgs=3)
> > >
> > >  This is the main problem, these shouldn't happen. Can the user access
> > >  the mailboxes directly?
> > >
> > >  See http://wiki.dovecot.org/MboxProblems

This looks a lot like the issue I reported last month at
<http://dovecot.org/pipermail/dovecot/2008-April/029991.html>
which see for configuration details.

At that time, I thought the problem was due to a conflict between
Postfix adding a message to the mbox while dovecot was expunging
messages. I have since seen the problem one more time apparently
precipitated by two remote boxes accessing the same mailbox via
separate dovecot processes simultaneously.

I have since added

 pop3_lock_session = yes

to the dovecot configuration, and I have seen no further problems,
but it's only been 2 weeks since I made the above change so it's
too soon to know for sure.

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro net       The highway is for gamblers,
San Francisco Bay Area, California    better use your sense - B. Dylan

Re: messages downloading repeatedly to mozilla/seamonkey pop3 client

Ben Julian
Timo,
  Wow, thanks for checking back on this after all that time. I am
actually still having problems, and just working around them by using
a script to manually wipe out the inbox and index files for the user
with the problem.  I tried your suggestion of explicitly setting the
mailbox location.  It didn't seem to stop the problem, but it is hard
to reproduce on demand.  By sending the user a lot of forwarded mail,
I was able to reproduce the issue once.  I left it defined and tried
Mark Sapiro's suggestion, adding " pop3_lock_session = yes", and so
far, so good.  I won't really know until a few days of use have
passed.  I'll be sure to let the list know how it turns out.  Thanks
for the follow up, guys, totally unexpected.
-Ben

On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 10:35 AM, Timo Sirainen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Do you still have this problem? You could try setting mail_location
> explicitly to see if it changes anything
> (http://wiki.dovecot.org/MailLocation).
>
> On Tue, 2008-03-11 at 17:25 -0400, Ben Julian wrote:
>> Timo,
>>   The user can't access the mailbox directly under normal use
>> circumstances.  He doesn't have a smb share setup to allow him access
>> to the mbox file.  As far as I know, the only program besides dovecot
>> doing editing of the mail is spamassassin, but that happens before the
>> mail is written to the mbox.  Perhaps I am misunderstanding your
>> question?
>> -Ben
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 9:26 PM, Timo Sirainen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > On Wed, 2008-03-05 at 15:17 -0500, Ben Julian wrote:
>> >  > Mar  3 10:37:00 servername dovecot: POP3(user): mbox sync: UID
>> >  > inserted in the middle of mailbox /var/mail/user (84873 > 84872,
>> >  > seq=2, idx_msgs=3)
>> >
>> >  This is the main problem, these shouldn't happen. Can the user access
>> >  the mailboxes directly?
>> >
>> >  See http://wiki.dovecot.org/MboxProblems

Re: messages downloading repeatedly to mozilla/seamonkey pop3 client

Ben Julian
Timo and Mark,
  It appears that my problem was due to our configuration of the
user's several home directories - we had different usernames created
for this individual, but two of the home directory definitions in
/etc/passwd were unintentionally pointing to the same place, causing
the dovecot index files to overwrite each other.  We never caught it
before using pop3d, because they don't keep index A silly mistake.
Sorry to bother you and the mailing list with this - clearly user
error. :)
Thanks for all your help!
Ben