Replication status

Asheesh Laroia
I remember last year we discussed Dovecot replication a bit on this list,
e.g. http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2008-May/030446.html .

Has there been any development related to this, and can I help at all? The
more I think about the hacks I'm employing to synchronize mail, the more I
realize I want this. So hopefully I can put either some money or some time
where my mouth is.

-- Asheesh.

--
Its name is Public Opinion.  It is held in reverence.  It settles everything.
Some think it is the voice of God.
  -- Mark Twain

Re: Replication status

Timo Sirainen
On Sat, 2009-01-31 at 03:49 -0800, Asheesh Laroia wrote:
> I remember last year we discussed Dovecot replication a bit on this list,
> e.g. http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2008-May/030446.html .
>
> Has there been any development related to this, and can I help at all? The
> more I think about the hacks I'm employing to synchronize mail, the more I
> realize I want this. So hopefully I can put either some money or some time
> where my mouth is.

Replication is still on my TODO list and I've a bit of code for the
replication plugin implemented, but it's not very far. Anyway since I
now started working for Mailtrust they'll decide what the priorities are
for new Dovecot features. I can't say for sure if/when I'll start coding
the replication again, but my current understanding is that they're
interested in it, but some other things are more important to get done
first.

So throwing money at me won't help, but nothing of course stops you from
writing the code :) I can send you the code I have so far if you want
it.

Re: Replication status

Charles Marcus
On 2/9/2009, Timo Sirainen ([hidden email]) wrote:
> I can't say for sure if/when I'll start coding the replication again,
> but my current understanding is that they're interested in it, but
> some other things are more important to get done first.

Will there be a wiki page describing the roadmap for the coming year?
I'm very curious to see what is coming!

--

Best regards,

Charles

Re: Replication status

Proskurin Kirill-4
Charles Marcus wrote:
> On 2/9/2009, Timo Sirainen ([hidden email]) wrote:
>> I can't say for sure if/when I'll start coding the replication again,
>> but my current understanding is that they're interested in it, but
>> some other things are more important to get done first.
>
> Will there be a wiki page describing the roadmap for the coming year?
> I'm very curious to see what is coming!

Indeed. It most awaiting feature for me.
It will make Dovecot simply the best in all.

Best regards,
Proskurin Kirill

Re: Replication status

Seth Mattinen
Timo Sirainen wrote:

> On Sat, 2009-01-31 at 03:49 -0800, Asheesh Laroia wrote:
>> I remember last year we discussed Dovecot replication a bit on this list,
>> e.g. http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2008-May/030446.html .
>>
>> Has there been any development related to this, and can I help at all? The
>> more I think about the hacks I'm employing to synchronize mail, the more I
>> realize I want this. So hopefully I can put either some money or some time
>> where my mouth is.
>
> Replication is still on my TODO list and I've a bit of code for the
> replication plugin implemented, but it's not very far. Anyway since I
> now started working for Mailtrust they'll decide what the priorities are
> for new Dovecot features. I can't say for sure if/when I'll start coding
> the replication again, but my current understanding is that they're
> interested in it, but some other things are more important to get done
> first.
>
> So throwing money at me won't help, but nothing of course stops you from
> writing the code :) I can send you the code I have so far if you want
> it.

It's a shame replication isn't a priority - that would be a killer feature.

Something easy I've considered is a transaction model similar to how
MySQL does replication by adding sync calls (delete x, change flag on y,
z is new, etc.) in strategic locations to the maildir storage engine.

~Seth

Re: Replication status

On Tue, 2009-02-10 at 06:04 -0500, Charles Marcus wrote:
> On 2/9/2009, Timo Sirainen ([hidden email]) wrote:
> > I can't say for sure if/when I'll start coding the replication again,
> > but my current understanding is that they're interested in it, but
> > some other things are more important to get done first.
>
> Will there be a wiki page describing the roadmap for the coming year?
> I'm very curious to see what is coming!

I updated the current roadmap page to show what's most likely coming
next.

Re: Replication status

Asheesh Laroia
On Mon, 9 Feb 2009, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> Replication is still on my TODO list and I've a bit of code for the
> replication plugin implemented, but it's not very far. Anyway since I
> now started working for Mailtrust they'll decide what the priorities are
> for new Dovecot features. I can't say for sure if/when I'll start coding
> the replication again, but my current understanding is that they're
> interested in it, but some other things are more important to get done
> first.

My reaction to "some other things are more important to get done first"
is, "I can't think of anything." (-:

> So throwing money at me won't help, but nothing of course stops you from
> writing the code :) I can send you the code I have so far if you want
> it.

By all means, send me the code, or preferably toss it in some hg branch on
the web.

-- Asheesh.

Q: What's the difference betweeen USL and the Graf Zeppelin?
A: The Graf Zeppelin represented cutting edge technology for its time.

Re: Replication status

Timo Sirainen
On Sun, 2009-02-15 at 03:44 -0800, Asheesh Laroia wrote:
> > So throwing money at me won't help, but nothing of course stops you from
> > writing the code :) I can send you the code I have so far if you want
> > it.
>
> By all means, send me the code, or preferably toss it in some hg branch on
> the web.

http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-replication/

I just merged it with latest v1.2 changes, didn't bother testing if it
still compiles or not..

I also hate the "aggregator" and "writer" names, but couldn't think of
anything better. The idea is that replication plugin is loaded to all
imap/pop3/deliver processes. It talks to aggregator, which in turn
connects to remote writer, which writes the changes to disk.

Re: Replication status

Bryan Bradsby-2
> I also hate the "aggregator" and "writer" names

Master, slave (ala DNS) ?

Bryan Bradsby
Texas State Government Network

Re: Replication status

Timo Sirainen
On Mon, 2009-02-16 at 13:19 -0600, Bryan Bradsby wrote:
> > I also hate the "aggregator" and "writer" names
>
> Master, slave (ala DNS) ?

Maybe, but a bit weird in a multi-master setup.

Re: Replication status

Eric Toczek
Timo Sirainen wrote:

> On Mon, 2009-02-16 at 13:19 -0600, Bryan Bradsby wrote:
>
>>> I also hate the "aggregator" and "writer" names
>>>
>> Master, slave (ala DNS) ?
>>

> Maybe, but a bit weird in a multi-master setup.

Could always go with the naming conventions used by multimaster in ldap:
consumer and supplier/provider