Sieve Vacation for redirected email

rpsuprdave
I posted this elsewhere, but under an old post.  I apologize for the
repeated question.

Hello Dovecot Users,

Dovecot 2.1.7

Our emails are redirected from the home office causing all vacation
delivered message; no known (envelope) recipient address found in
message headers".
I need to use the Sieve Vacation option but cannot figure out how to
get it working for us.  If I send to the local address, it works fine.
If I send to the redirect address, it fails with above error.
Unfortunately, all of our emails are redirects from a single domain.
There's got to be some way to make it work.
Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Dave

Stephan Bosch-2 wrote
> + Vacation extension: finally added support for using the original
>    recipient in vacation address check. It is also possible to disable
>    the recipient address check entirely. Check doc/vacation.txt for
>    configuration information.

Re: Sieve Vacation for redirected email

Gedalya-2
I think you might want to look at the :addresses paramerer

http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Pigeonhole/Sieve/Examples#Vacation_auto-reply

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5230#page-7

On 03/26/2013 01:10 PM, Dave Gattis wrote:

> I posted this elsewhere, but under an old post.  I apologize for the
> repeated question.
>
> Hello Dovecot Users,
>
> Dovecot 2.1.7
>
> Our emails are redirected from the home office causing all vacation
> delivered message; no known (envelope) recipient address found in
> message headers".
> I need to use the Sieve Vacation option but cannot figure out how to
> get it working for us.  If I send to the local address, it works
> fine.  If I send to the redirect address, it fails with above error.
> Unfortunately, all of our emails are redirects from a single domain.
> There's got to be some way to make it work.
> Any help would be greatly appreciated,
> Dave
>

> Stephan Bosch-2 wrote
>> + Vacation extension: finally added support for using the original
>>    recipient in vacation address check. It is also possible to disable
>>    the recipient address check entirely. Check doc/vacation.txt for
>>    configuration information.

Re: Sieve Vacation for redirected email

rpsuprdave
Here's the headers for my emails:

From: Dave Gattis <friends@sender.com>
To: SUMACO Gattis Dave <dave.gattis@domain-a.com>
Subject: test 0
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 18:41:31 +0000

From: Dave Gattis <friends@sender.com> is the original sender.
To: SUMACO Gattis Dave <dave.gattis@domain-a.com> is where I sent it.

Postfix and dovecot handle everything nicely, but the vacation piece reports no known recipient, or if I add my address, it reports that can't send to itself.

Dave

Re: Sieve Vacation for redirected email

Ben Morrow-2
At 12PM -0700 on 26/03/13 you (rpsuprdave) wrote:
> Here's the headers for my emails:

> From: Dave Gattis <[hidden email]>
> To: SUMACO Gattis Dave <[hidden email]>
[...]
> From: Dave Gattis <[hidden email]> is the original sender.
> To: SUMACO Gattis Dave <[hidden email]> is where I sent it.
>
> Postfix and dovecot handle everything nicely, but the vacation piece reports
> no known recipient, or if I add my address, it reports that can't send to
> itself.

Something's screwed up somewhere with your delivery. That Return-Path is
wrong: it should be <[hidden email]>. Vacation will only reply to
the Return-Path address, so if that's wrong then the replies will never
go to the right place (and, in this case, they'll never be sent since
the Return-Path is your address).

Note that this would also apply to a bounce: if a message bounced
because you were over quota, that bounce would loop and get thrown away
and you'd never see it.

If your forwarder is rewriting MAIL FROM to work around SPF breakage,
you need to switch to using SRS or something equivalent to get vacation
to work.

Ben

Re: Sieve Vacation for redirected email

Steffen Kaiser-9

On Tue, 26 Mar 2013, Dave Gattis wrote:

> Our emails are redirected from the home office causing all vacation responses
> to fail with, "discarding vacation response for implicitly delivered message;
> no known (envelope) recipient address found in message headers".

=== headers from reply
  ex2.domain-a.com ([fe80::acd3:8e53:bcb6:7a4%11]) with Microsoft SMTP
Server
id
  14.01.0355.002; Tue, 26 Mar 2013 19:39:54 +0100

From: Dave Gattis <[hidden email]>
To: SUMACO Gattis Dave <[hidden email]>
=====

You have two problems:

a) "no known (envelope) recipient address found in message headers" means,
that the vacation :addresses list does not contain

[hidden email]

because vacation probes the entries of the :addresses list against To and
CC.

b) the messages are _resend_ not forwarded by spamcop.main.ch to your MTA.
By doing so the original *envelope* sender address is lost, which is *not*
the entry in "From:". Therefore vacation would send the reply to:

[hidden email]

which is the return path per your excerpt. You could verify that by
finding the envelope sender in the postfix logs, I guess; or by fixing a).

Actually, I'm not sure if pigeonhole can pick up the address to reply to
from a mail header - I do not see any hints in the sample config. So,
maybe, you need to ask spamcop.main.ch to preserve the return address.

Note: Changing the envelope sender is not bad by itself, it solves several
problems with forwarding; a well-known MTA can do this, too:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchange2010/thread/8006eabb-3334-4ff1-89d6-d647088bec46
, but you get other problems rewriting the sender address.

- --
Steffen Kaiser