Sieve vacation :addresses match only case-sensitive?

Sieve vacation :addresses match only case-sensitive?

Dovecot mailing list
The recipients in the vacation :addresses String list are matched
case-sensitive.

If the recipient gets a mail with wrong case, the message is discarded with:
"discarding vacation response for implicitly delivered message; no known
(envelope) recipient address found in message headers"

I think the matching should be case-insensitive.

Is this a bug or do I miss some option?

I'm using Dovecot 2.3.7.2, Pigeonhole version 0.5.7.2.

--
Philipp Fäustlin

smime.p7s (7K) Download Attachment

Re: [Bug] Sieve vacation :addresses match only case-sensitive?

Dovecot mailing list
Am 02.09.19 um 15:05 schrieb Philipp Faeustlin via dovecot:

> The recipients in the vacation :addresses String list are matched
> case-sensitive.
>
> If the recipient gets a mail with wrong case, the message is discarded
> with:
> "discarding vacation response for implicitly delivered message; no known
> (envelope) recipient address found in message headers"
>
> I think the matching should be case-insensitive.
>
> Is this a bug or do I miss some option?
>
> I'm using Dovecot 2.3.7.2, Pigeonhole version 0.5.7.2.

Further investigation showed me that it has to be a bug.

I tested with Dovecot 2.2.36.3 (a7d78f5a2), Pigeonhole version 0.4.24
(5a7e9e62):

In this version the additional addresses in vacation :addresses
["[hidden email]"] are handled case-insensitive.

In the new version: Dovecot 2.3.7.2 (3c910f64b), Pigeonhole version
0.5.7.2 (7372921a) installed via https://repo.dovecot.org/, (same sieve,
same configuration) these addresses are handled case-sensitive.

The case-sensitive matching of mail addresses, doesn't make any sense to me.

Could someone confirm this behavior?

Kind regards

Philipp

Isn’t RFC-compliant behavior to treat the local part as case-sensitive and the domain-part as case-insensitive?

Le 4 sept. 2019 à 19:37, Roger Klorese via dovecot <[hidden email]> a écrit :

On Wed, Sep 4, 2019 at 8:25 AM Philipp Faeustlin via dovecot <[hidden email]>
Further investigation showed me that it has to be a bug.

I tested with Dovecot 2.2.36.3 (a7d78f5a2), Pigeonhole version 0.4.24
(5a7e9e62):

In this version the additional addresses in vacation :addresses
["[hidden email]"] are handled case-insensitive.

In the new version: Dovecot 2.3.7.2 (3c910f64b), Pigeonhole version
0.5.7.2 (7372921a) installed via https://repo.dovecot.org/, (same sieve,
same configuration) these addresses are handled case-sensitive.

The case-sensitive matching of mail addresses, doesn't make any sense to me.

Could someone confirm this behavior?

Isn’t RFC-compliant behavior to treat the local part as case-sensitive and the domain-part as case-insensitive?

It is not recommended to rely on local-part case, but it is indeed case-sensitive.

And this is to avoid such issues that postfix supports address cleanup/canonicalisation before forwarding mails to dovecot.

----------
RFC 5321:

"Local-part     = Dot-string / Quoted-string ; MAY be case-sensitive
[…]
While the above definition for Local-part is relatively permissive, for maximum interoperability, a host that expects to receive mail SHOULD avoid defining mailboxes where the Local-part requires (or uses) the Quoted-string form or where the Local-part is case-sensitive."

And therefore “receive liberally” policy that wants to assume case-insensitivity should single-case the address IN THE COMPARISON.

Re: [Bug] Sieve vacation :addresses match only case-sensitive?

Dovecot mailing list
>     It is not recommended to rely on local-part case, but it is indeed

>     case-sensitive.
>
>     And this is to avoid such issues that postfix supports address
>     cleanup/canonicalisation before forwarding mails to dovecot.
>
>     ----------
>     RFC 5321:
>
>     "Local-part     = Dot-string / Quoted-string ; MAY be case-sensitive
>     […]
>     While the above definition for Local-part is relatively permissive,
>     for maximum interoperability, a host that expects to receive mail
>     SHOULD avoid defining mailboxes where the Local-part requires (or
>     uses) the Quoted-string form or where the Local-part is case-sensitive."
>

> And therefore “receive liberally” policy that wants to assume
> case-insensitivity should single-case the address IN THE COMPARISON.

The local-part MAY be case-sensitive, but in general I don't know any
mail addresses where the case matters.
Thus it is hard for me to understand, why this comparison of the
vacation address is case-sensitive. Whether the final recipients address
is also treated case-insensitive.

If this has to be case-sensitive to be RFC compliant, then please create
an option for admins or users to change the behavior to an
case-insensitive comparison.

smime.p7s (7K) Download Attachment

Re: [Bug] Sieve vacation :addresses match only case-sensitive?

Dovecot mailing list

> On 9 Sep 2019, at 16.17, Philipp Faeustlin via dovecot <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>    It is not recommended to rely on local-part case, but it is indeed
>>    case-sensitive.
>>    And this is to avoid such issues that postfix supports address
>>    cleanup/canonicalisation before forwarding mails to dovecot.
>>    ----------
>>    RFC 5321:
>>    "Local-part     = Dot-string / Quoted-string ; MAY be case-sensitive
>>    […]
>>    While the above definition for Local-part is relatively permissive,
>>    for maximum interoperability, a host that expects to receive mail
>>    SHOULD avoid defining mailboxes where the Local-part requires (or
>>    uses) the Quoted-string form or where the Local-part is case-sensitive."
>> And therefore “receive liberally” policy that wants to assume case-insensitivity should single-case the address IN THE COMPARISON.
> The local-part MAY be case-sensitive, but in general I don't know any mail addresses where the case matters.
> Thus it is hard for me to understand, why this comparison of the vacation address is case-sensitive. Whether the final recipients address is also treated case-insensitive.
>
> If this has to be case-sensitive to be RFC compliant, then please create an option for admins or users to change the behavior to an case-insensitive comparison.

Just change auth_username_format = %Lu to make all addresses lowercase. That should solve your problem.
Or if you REALLY REALLY want to have case-sensitive userpart, then use auth_username_format = %n@%Ld

Sami

Am 09.09.19 um 15:58 schrieb Sami Ketola:

>> On 9 Sep 2019, at 16.17, Philipp Faeustlin via dovecot <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>>     It is not recommended to rely on local-part case, but it is indeed
>>>     case-sensitive.
>>>     And this is to avoid such issues that postfix supports address
>>>     cleanup/canonicalisation before forwarding mails to dovecot.
>>>     ----------
>>>     RFC 5321:
>>>     "Local-part     = Dot-string / Quoted-string ; MAY be case-sensitive
>>>     […]
>>>     While the above definition for Local-part is relatively permissive,
>>>     for maximum interoperability, a host that expects to receive mail
>>>     SHOULD avoid defining mailboxes where the Local-part requires (or
>>>     uses) the Quoted-string form or where the Local-part is case-sensitive."
>>> And therefore “receive liberally” policy that wants to assume case-insensitivity should single-case the address IN THE COMPARISON.
>> The local-part MAY be case-sensitive, but in general I don't know any mail addresses where the case matters.
>> Thus it is hard for me to understand, why this comparison of the vacation address is case-sensitive. Whether the final recipients address is also treated case-insensitive.
>>
>> If this has to be case-sensitive to be RFC compliant, then please create an option for admins or users to change the behavior to an case-insensitive comparison.
>>

> Just change auth_username_format = %Lu to make all addresses lowercase. That should solve your problem.
> Or if you REALLY REALLY want to have case-sensitive userpart, then use auth_username_format = %n@%Ld
>
> Sami

It seems there is a misunderstanding. In Pigeonhole Sieve version
0.5.7.2, the vacation module compares the additional :addresses
case-sensitive.
I want to have it case-insensitive again, like in Pigeonhole version 0.4.24

Philipp

smime.p7s (7K) Download Attachment

Re: Sieve vacation :addresses match only case-sensitive?

On 02/09/2019 15:05, Philipp Faeustlin via dovecot wrote:

> The recipients in the vacation :addresses String list are matched
> case-sensitive.
>
> If the recipient gets a mail with wrong case, the message is discarded
> with:
> "discarding vacation response for implicitly delivered message; no
> known (envelope) recipient address found in message headers"
>
> I think the matching should be case-insensitive.
>
> Is this a bug or do I miss some option?
>
> I'm using Dovecot 2.3.7.2, Pigeonhole version 0.5.7.2.

We're looking into this. Tracking internally as DOP-1424.

Regards,

Stephan.

Am 11.09.19 um 22:09 schrieb Stephan Bosch via dovecot:

> On 02/09/2019 15:05, Philipp Faeustlin via dovecot wrote:
>> The recipients in the vacation :addresses String list are matched
>> case-sensitive.
>>
>> If the recipient gets a mail with wrong case, the message is discarded
>> with:
>> "discarding vacation response for implicitly delivered message; no
>> known (envelope) recipient address found in message headers"
>>
>> I think the matching should be case-insensitive.
>>
>> Is this a bug or do I miss some option?
>>
>> I'm using Dovecot 2.3.7.2, Pigeonhole version 0.5.7.2.
>
> We're looking into this. Tracking internally as DOP-1424.
>
> Regards,
>
> Stephan.
> Hello Stephan,
are there some news about this topic?
What happened to this BUG tracked by you internally as DOP-1424?

Regards,

Philipp

smime.p7s (7K) Download Attachment