Solr 7

Ricardo Branco
Before I go down the route of upgrading our main Solr instance from 6 to 7, just checking if anyone is using Solr 7 with
Dovecot.

Re: Solr 7

Jose Celestino
Words by Ricardo Branco [Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 11:00:03AM +0100]:
> Before I go down the route of upgrading our main Solr instance from 6 to 7,
> just checking if anyone is using Solr 7 with Dovecot.

SOLR 7 works ok with dovecot. We did not upgrade but indexed from scratch with
7.0.0.

From our experience:

Make sure that you set the default queryResponseWriter to XML on
solrconfig.xml:

     <queryResponseWriter name="xml"
                          default="true"
                          class="solr.XMLResponseWriter" />

Because the default response type is now JSON instead of XML and I don't think
dovecot sends a wt=xml to make it explicit.

Also, consider going to 7.0.1 because 7.0.0 could not read indexes from 6.x
versions. As I said we did a reindex so we were unharmed by that bug but just
saw it on the 7.0.1 changelog.

Re: Solr 7

M. Koehler
Hi Jose,

Am 11.10.2017 um 13:13 schrieb Jose Celestino:

>> Before I go down the route of upgrading our main Solr instance from 6 to 7,
>> just checking if anyone is using Solr 7 with Dovecot.
> SOLR 7 works ok with dovecot. We did not upgrade but indexed from scratch with
> 7.0.0.
>
>  From our experience:
>
> Make sure that you set the default queryResponseWriter to XML on
> solrconfig.xml:
>
>       <queryResponseWriter name="xml"
>                            default="true"
>                            class="solr.XMLResponseWriter" />
>
> Because the default response type is now JSON instead of XML and I don't think
> dovecot sends a wt=xml to make it explicit.
>
> Also, consider going to 7.0.1 because 7.0.0 could not read indexes from 6.x
> versions. As I said we did a reindex so we were unharmed by that bug but just
> saw it on the 7.0.1 changelog.

could you please provide more informations about the installation from
scratch? The documentations I´ve found are all outdated and doesn´t work :(.

Thanks,
Michael

Re: Solr 7

Matthias Fechner
Hi Michael,

Am 12.10.2017 um 12:37 schrieb M. Koehler:
> could you please provide more informations about the installation from
> scratch? The documentations I´ve found are all outdated and doesn´t
> work :(.

I set solr 7.0.1 now up on FreeBSD and created a short manual for it:

https://wiki.idefix.fechner.net/freebsd:postfix_dovecot_virtual#solr_integration_in_dovecot

Maybe that helps you. Creating the schema.xml was a little bit tricky as
the one dovecot provides is to old and is missing some datatypes the
standard solr7 profile requires.

Gruß
Matthias

Rich Cook