Timeout when using icedove's searching on a large amount of email.

Timeout when using icedove's searching on a large amount of email.

guillaume.yziquel
Hello list.

I'm using dovecot as a local server, where I'm the only user (or so), and I
appreciate using icedove searching functionality to roam through the whole inbox
in search of some specific string in the body of my emails.

Unfortunately, recently, such a search has become impossible, since the search
takes too much time, and the connection times out.

I've looked throughout the .conf file and the documentation, but I haven't found
where I could increase the delay until timeout. If someone knew the right option
in the .conf file, it would be really great...

Guillaume Yziquel.

Re: Timeout when using icedove's searching on a large amount of email.

Timo Sirainen
On May 5, 2008, at 9:50 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hello list.
>
> I'm using dovecot as a local server, where I'm the only user (or
> so), and I
> appreciate using icedove searching functionality to roam through the
> whole inbox
> in search of some specific string in the body of my emails.
>
> Unfortunately, recently, such a search has become impossible, since
> the search
> takes too much time, and the connection times out.
>
> I've looked throughout the .conf file and the documentation, but I
> haven't found
> where I could increase the delay until timeout. If someone knew the
> right option
> in the .conf file, it would be really great...
It's Icedove that decides to timeout the connection. I don't know if
you can change it.

With Dovecot v1.1 you could use full text search plugin and searches
would be fast. http://wiki.dovecot.org/Plugins/FTS

Although Dovecot could probably avoid this timeout by sending
something to client every 30 seconds or so that "search is n% done".
With FTS plugin enabled it's already doing that when indexing. I'll
add in my TODO..

PGP.sig (201 bytes) Download Attachment