courier to dovecot migration

Dovecot mailing list
I have a quite old home server based on Debian 6.x packages using courier
imap server (exim4, fetchmail, courier, apache2, squirrelmail) to keep my
and my wife emails (about 25G).
I want renew my server to Debian 10 (buster) and got a recommendation to
use dovecot instead of courier. For this purpose I'm using a different PC
as a sandbox. Debian 10 currently offer dovecot version 2.3.4.1
Installation was "peaceful" but stuck with the migration. I have choose
migration using dsync, from Wiki I was choose this command:

For per-user user/passwords use:

doveadm -o imapc_user=foo -o pop3c_user=foo -o imapc_password=bar -o
pop3c_password=bar backup -R -u user@domain imapc:

(foo and bar placed real username and password)

But I get error:
doveadm([hidden email]): Error: User doesn't exist

Strongly I have no real domain, I'm using "freedns". "nusi" is the local
name of my old server, "tovis-lab" is conjunction with "mydomain.org"
choose from freedns. I was trying short as "nusi" which is in /etc/hosts
file even ip address but the same result. 143 and 943 ports are working
only inside the firewall (OpenWrt).
I was checked using telnet courier on the "remote" box and dovecot on the
localhost. I was able to login.

What should I use as "user@domain" in this situation?

  tovis

Re: courier to dovecot migration

Dovecot mailing list

On 29.9.2019 23.38, tovises via dovecot wrote:

> I have a quite old home server based on Debian 6.x packages using courier
> imap server (exim4, fetchmail, courier, apache2, squirrelmail) to keep my
> and my wife emails (about 25G).
> I want renew my server to Debian 10 (buster) and got a recommendation to
> use dovecot instead of courier. For this purpose I'm using a different PC
> as a sandbox. Debian 10 currently offer dovecot version 2.3.4.1
> Installation was "peaceful" but stuck with the migration. I have choose
> migration using dsync, from Wiki I was choose this command:
>
> For per-user user/passwords use:
>
> doveadm -o imapc_user=foo -o pop3c_user=foo -o imapc_password=bar -o
> pop3c_password=bar backup -R -u user@domain imapc:
>
> (foo and bar placed real username and password)
>
> But I get error:
> doveadm([hidden email]): Error: User doesn't exist
>
> Strongly I have no real domain, I'm using "freedns". "nusi" is the local
> name of my old server, "tovis-lab" is conjunction with "mydomain.org"
> choose from freedns. I was trying short as "nusi" which is in /etc/hosts
> file even ip address but the same result. 143 and 943 ports are working
> only inside the firewall (OpenWrt).
> I was checked using telnet courier on the "remote" box and dovecot on the
> localhost. I was able to login.
>
> What should I use as "user@domain" in this situation?
>
>   tovis

Hi!

-u parameter should be your *local* username, @domain is optional.

Re: courier to dovecot migration

Dovecot mailing list

> On 29.9.2019 23.38, tovises via dovecot wrote:
>> I have a quite old home server based on Debian 6.x packages using
>> courier
>> imap server (exim4, fetchmail, courier, apache2, squirrelmail) to keep
>> my
>> and my wife emails (about 25G).
>> I want renew my server to Debian 10 (buster) and got a recommendation to
>> use dovecot instead of courier. For this purpose I'm using a different
>> PC
>> as a sandbox. Debian 10 currently offer dovecot version 2.3.4.1
>> Installation was "peaceful" but stuck with the migration. I have choose
>> migration using dsync, from Wiki I was choose this command:
>>
>> For per-user user/passwords use:
>>
>> doveadm -o imapc_user=foo -o pop3c_user=foo -o imapc_password=bar -o
>> pop3c_password=bar backup -R -u user@domain imapc:
>>
>> (foo and bar placed real username and password)
>>
>> But I get error:
>> doveadm([hidden email]): Error: User doesn't exist
>>
>> Strongly I have no real domain, I'm using "freedns". "nusi" is the local
>> name of my old server, "tovis-lab" is conjunction with "mydomain.org"
>> choose from freedns. I was trying short as "nusi" which is in /etc/hosts
>> file even ip address but the same result. 143 and 943 ports are working
>> only inside the firewall (OpenWrt).
>> I was checked using telnet courier on the "remote" box and dovecot on
>> the
>> localhost. I was able to login.
>>
>> What should I use as "user@domain" in this situation?
>>
>>   tovis
>>

> Hi!
>
> -u parameter should be your *local* username, @domain is optional.
>
> Aki

Thank you Aki for quick response!
Where i should define the remote IMAP server address/hostname?
My localhost run dovecot, remote host (other box) running courier.
The user name is the same (password too).
-u tovis
gives me "Error: Failed to initialize user: Namespace ''; Mailbox list
driver imapc: missing imapc_host"

Sincerely

On 30.9.2019 12.38, tovises wrote:

>> On 29.9.2019 23.38, tovises via dovecot wrote:
>>> I have a quite old home server based on Debian 6.x packages using
>>> courier
>>> imap server (exim4, fetchmail, courier, apache2, squirrelmail) to keep
>>> my
>>> and my wife emails (about 25G).
>>> I want renew my server to Debian 10 (buster) and got a recommendation to
>>> use dovecot instead of courier. For this purpose I'm using a different
>>> PC
>>> as a sandbox. Debian 10 currently offer dovecot version 2.3.4.1
>>> Installation was "peaceful" but stuck with the migration. I have choose
>>> migration using dsync, from Wiki I was choose this command:
>>>
>>> For per-user user/passwords use:
>>>
>>> doveadm -o imapc_user=foo -o pop3c_user=foo -o imapc_password=bar -o
>>> pop3c_password=bar backup -R -u user@domain imapc:
>>>
>>> (foo and bar placed real username and password)
>>>
>>> But I get error:
>>> doveadm([hidden email]): Error: User doesn't exist
>>>
>>> Strongly I have no real domain, I'm using "freedns". "nusi" is the local
>>> name of my old server, "tovis-lab" is conjunction with "mydomain.org"
>>> choose from freedns. I was trying short as "nusi" which is in /etc/hosts
>>> file even ip address but the same result. 143 and 943 ports are working
>>> only inside the firewall (OpenWrt).
>>> I was checked using telnet courier on the "remote" box and dovecot on
>>> the
>>> localhost. I was able to login.
>>>
>>> What should I use as "user@domain" in this situation?
>>>
>>>   tovis
>>>

>> Hi!
>>
>> -u parameter should be your *local* username, @domain is optional.
>>
>> Aki
>>

> Thank you Aki for quick response!
> Where i should define the remote IMAP server address/hostname?
> My localhost run dovecot, remote host (other box) running courier.
> The user name is the same (password too).
> -u tovis
> gives me "Error: Failed to initialize user: Namespace ''; Mailbox list
> driver imapc: missing imapc_host"
>
> Sincerely
>   tovis

You can put imapc_host and pop3c_host into config file or provide them
with -o. If you want to migrate POP3 uidls you need to make sure you
load that plugin, in either config or providing -o "mail_plugins=list of
plugins".

Re: courier to dovecot migration

Dovecot mailing list

>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> -u parameter should be your *local* username, @domain is optional.
>>>
>>> Aki
>>>

>> Thank you Aki for quick response!
>> Where i should define the remote IMAP server address/hostname?
>> My localhost run dovecot, remote host (other box) running courier.
>> The user name is the same (password too).
>> -u tovis
>> gives me "Error: Failed to initialize user: Namespace ''; Mailbox list
>> driver imapc: missing imapc_host"
>>
>> Sincerely
>>   tovis
>>
> You can put imapc_host and pop3c_host into config file or provide them
> with -o. If you want to migrate POP3 uidls you need to make sure you
> load that plugin, in either config or providing -o "mail_plugins=list of
> plugins".
>
> Aki

WOW! - amazing quickly, I'm really grateful.

I was using: -u tovis imapc: nusi but still something wrong.
Patstebin: https://pastebin.com/tH4wzJka
The most relevant part (I think) is:
dsync-local(tovis)<rAJmCUTTkV0IBAAAVty4BQ>: Error: read(remote) failed:
EOF (version not received)
doveadm(tovis): Fatal: execvp(imapc:) failed: No such file or directory

What I have missed (doveadm trying to execute something but what).
Any suggestion?

Sincerely
  tovis

Re: courier to dovecot migration

Dovecot mailing list

> On 30 Sep 2019, at 13.13, tovises via dovecot <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
> WOW! - amazing quickly, I'm really grateful.
>
> I was using: -u tovis imapc: nusi but still something wrong.
> Patstebin: https://pastebin.com/tH4wzJka
> The most relevant part (I think) is:
> dsync-local(tovis)<rAJmCUTTkV0IBAAAVty4BQ>: Error: read(remote) failed:
> EOF (version not received)
> doveadm(tovis): Fatal: execvp(imapc:) failed: No such file or directory
>
> What I have missed (doveadm trying to execute something but what).
> Any suggestion?

try:

doveadm -D -o imapc_user=tovis -o pop3c_user=tovis -o imapc_password=<password> -o pop3c_password=<password> backup -u tovis -R imapc:

Sami

Re: courier to dovecot migration

Dovecot mailing list

>> On 30 Sep 2019, at 13.13, tovises via dovecot <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>> WOW! - amazing quickly, I'm really grateful.
>>
>> I was using: -u tovis imapc: nusi but still something wrong.
>> Patstebin: https://pastebin.com/tH4wzJka
>> The most relevant part (I think) is:
>> dsync-local(tovis)<rAJmCUTTkV0IBAAAVty4BQ>: Error: read(remote) failed:
>> EOF (version not received)
>> doveadm(tovis): Fatal: execvp(imapc:) failed: No such file or directory
>>
>> What I have missed (doveadm trying to execute something but what).
>> Any suggestion?
>
> try:
>
> doveadm -D -o imapc_user=tovis -o pop3c_user=tovis -o
> imapc_password=<password> -o pop3c_password=<password> backup -u tovis -R
> imapc:
>
> Sami

Hello Sami!
This was the previous version, but if it could help:
https://pastebin.com/3X3BKinB

One more question, isa it possible, that I do not need
pop3c_user/pop3c_password?
I do not have pop3 server on remote server, I have only IMAP.

On 30.9.2019 13.40, tovises wrote:

>>> On 30 Sep 2019, at 13.13, tovises via dovecot <[hidden email]>
>>> wrote:
>>> WOW! - amazing quickly, I'm really grateful.
>>>
>>> I was using: -u tovis imapc: nusi but still something wrong.
>>> Patstebin: https://pastebin.com/tH4wzJka
>>> The most relevant part (I think) is:
>>> dsync-local(tovis)<rAJmCUTTkV0IBAAAVty4BQ>: Error: read(remote) failed:
>>> EOF (version not received)
>>> doveadm(tovis): Fatal: execvp(imapc:) failed: No such file or directory
>>>
>>> What I have missed (doveadm trying to execute something but what).
>>> Any suggestion?
>> try:
>>
>> doveadm -D -o imapc_user=tovis -o pop3c_user=tovis -o
>> imapc_password=<password> -o pop3c_password=<password> backup -u tovis -R
>> imapc:
>>
>> Sami
>>

> Hello Sami!
> This was the previous version, but if it could help:
> https://pastebin.com/3X3BKinB
>
> One more question, isa it possible, that I do not need
> pop3c_user/pop3c_password?
> I do not have pop3 server on remote server, I have only IMAP.
>
> Sincerely
>   tovis

You don't need it, then.  And you do not need the pop3_uidl_migration
plugin either, then.

Your paste indicates that your config / command line is missing
imapc_host setting, so add to your config file

imapc_host=nusi # or the fqdn name

Re: courier to dovecot migration

Dovecot mailing list

>>> try:
>>>
>>> doveadm -D -o imapc_user=tovis -o pop3c_user=tovis -o
>>> imapc_password=<password> -o pop3c_password=<password> backup -u tovis
>>> -R
>>> imapc:
>>>
>>> Sami
>>>

>> Hello Sami!
>> This was the previous version, but if it could help:
>> https://pastebin.com/3X3BKinB
>>
>> One more question, isa it possible, that I do not need
>> pop3c_user/pop3c_password?
>> I do not have pop3 server on remote server, I have only IMAP.
>>
>> Sincerely
>>   tovis
>>

> You don't need it, then.  And you do not need the pop3_uidl_migration
> plugin either, then.
>
> Your paste indicates that your config / command line is missing
> imapc_host setting, so add to your config file
>
> imapc_host=nusi # or the fqdn name
>
> Aki

Tath's help! But something still missing :(

$ sudo doveadm -D -o imapc_user=tovis -o imapc_password=<password> -o
imapc_host=nusi -R -u tovis imapc:

Exited with messages (excerption - too many private information exposed):

dsync(tovis): Debug: brain M: Mailbox INBOX.threatposts:
local=00000000000000000000000000000000/0/0,
remote=a557d4d9d858c0ceceef5cd10a973bdc/0/1: mailbox not selectable yet
dsync(tovis): Debug: brain M: Mailbox INBOX.todo:
local=00000000000000000000000000000000/0/0,
remote=891e2fe9dc8874c0a19e496acf802566/0/1: mailbox not selectable yet
dsync(tovis): Debug: brain M: Deleting mailbox 'INBOX' (GUID
2e829f01d5cc915dd103000056dcb805): UIDVALIDITY changed (1454614013 ->
1569836245)
dsync(tovis): Error: Mailbox INBOX sync: mailbox_delete failed: INBOX
can't be deleted.
dsync(tovis): Debug: brain S: Remote mailbox tree: INBOX
guid=2e829f01d5cc915dd103000056dcb805 uid_validity=1569836245 uid_next=2
subs=no last_change=0 last_subs=0
dsync(tovis): Debug: imapc(nusi:143): Disconnected

I was trying to add " -o mail_fsync=never backup" option, but it doesn't
help. Why even trying to delete a folder such INBOX?
Option "backup" must be "copy" not synchronize.
I was check ~/Maildir for dovecot on localhost but no changes - the debug
output of doveadm gives several hundred output rows such as:
sync(tovis): Debug: brain M: Mailbox INBOX.lists.openwrt:
local=00000000000000000000000000000000/0/0,
remote=bc99ab2a6d9557ef23628f0ba159ee3c/0/1: mailbox not selectable yet
(This seem to be the academic horse - Hungarian proverb for every where
something wrong/sick)
Any suggestion?

Sincerely
  tovis

Re: courier to dovecot migration

Dovecot mailing list
Hi.

Am 30.09.19 um 13:07 schrieb tovises via dovecot:

>>> Hello Sami!
>>> This was the previous version, but if it could help:
>>> https://pastebin.com/3X3BKinB
>>>
>>> One more question, isa it possible, that I do not need
>>> pop3c_user/pop3c_password?
>>> I do not have pop3 server on remote server, I have only IMAP.
>>>
>>> Sincerely
>>>   tovis
>>>

>> You don't need it, then.  And you do not need the pop3_uidl_migration
>> plugin either, then.
>>
>> Your paste indicates that your config / command line is missing
>> imapc_host setting, so add to your config file
>>
>> imapc_host=nusi # or the fqdn name
>>
>> Aki
>>
> Tath's help! But something still missing :(
>
> $ sudo doveadm -D -o imapc_user=tovis -o imapc_password=<password> -o
> imapc_host=nusi -R -u tovis imapc:
>
> Exited with messages (excerption - too many private information exposed):
>
> dsync(tovis): Debug: brain M: Mailbox INBOX.threatposts:
> local=00000000000000000000000000000000/0/0,
> remote=a557d4d9d858c0ceceef5cd10a973bdc/0/1: mailbox not selectable yet
> dsync(tovis): Debug: brain M: Mailbox INBOX.todo:
> local=00000000000000000000000000000000/0/0,
> remote=891e2fe9dc8874c0a19e496acf802566/0/1: mailbox not selectable yet
> dsync(tovis): Debug: brain M: Deleting mailbox 'INBOX' (GUID
> 2e829f01d5cc915dd103000056dcb805): UIDVALIDITY changed (1454614013 ->
> 1569836245)
> dsync(tovis): Error: Mailbox INBOX sync: mailbox_delete failed: INBOX
> can't be deleted.
> dsync(tovis): Debug: brain S: Remote mailbox tree: INBOX
> guid=2e829f01d5cc915dd103000056dcb805 uid_validity=1569836245 uid_next=2
> subs=no last_change=0 last_subs=0
> dsync(tovis): Debug: imapc(nusi:143): Disconnected
>
> I was trying to add " -o mail_fsync=never backup" option, but it doesn't
> help. Why even trying to delete a folder such INBOX?
> Option "backup" must be "copy" not synchronize.
> I was check ~/Maildir for dovecot on localhost but no changes - the debug
> output of doveadm gives several hundred output rows such as:
> sync(tovis): Debug: brain M: Mailbox INBOX.lists.openwrt:
> local=00000000000000000000000000000000/0/0,
> remote=bc99ab2a6d9557ef23628f0ba159ee3c/0/1: mailbox not selectable yet
> (This seem to be the academic horse - Hungarian proverb for every where
> something wrong/sick)
> Any suggestion?

I'm on the same task to migrate from one server to another and got exact the
same message.

With some searching I found this answer from aki.
https://dovecot.org/pipermail/dovecot/2016-January/102988.html

As the mailbox on the new server is empty I removed the Maildir and the backup
works as expected so far.

My versions are

# 2.2.36.4 (baf9232c1): /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# Pigeonhole version 0.4.24.2 (aaba65b7)
# OS: Linux 3.10.0-1062.1.1.el7.x86_64 x86_64 CentOS Linux release 7.7.1908 (Core)

Regards
Aleks

On 30 Sep 2019, at 14.07, tovises via dovecot <[hidden email]> wrote:
Tath's help! But something still missing :(

$ sudo doveadm -D -o imapc_user=tovis -o imapc_password=<password> -o
imapc_host=nusi -R -u tovis imapc:

Exited with messages (excerption - too many private information exposed):

dsync(tovis): Debug: brain M: Mailbox INBOX.threatposts:
local=00000000000000000000000000000000/0/0,
remote=a557d4d9d858c0ceceef5cd10a973bdc/0/1: mailbox not selectable yet
dsync(tovis): Debug: brain M: Mailbox INBOX.todo:
local=00000000000000000000000000000000/0/0,
remote=891e2fe9dc8874c0a19e496acf802566/0/1: mailbox not selectable yet

Remote (courier) refuses A SELECT INBOX.threatpost and A SELECT INBOX.todo

dsync(tovis): Debug: brain M: Deleting mailbox 'INBOX' (GUID
2e829f01d5cc915dd103000056dcb805): UIDVALIDITY changed (1454614013 ->
1569836245)
dsync(tovis): Error: Mailbox INBOX sync: mailbox_delete failed: INBOX
can't be deleted.

IMAP RFC mandates that if UIDVALIDITY changes then the whole mailbox needs to be resynced.
Dovecot then tries to delete INBOX for resync, but INBOX deletion is not allowed.

The only way to recover is to clear out the target completely and restart from beginning.

btw, 1454614013 = Thu Feb  4 20:26:53 CET 2016
and  1569836245 = Mon Sep 30 11:37:25 CEST 2019

so did you actually create INBOX on target system before the initial sync?

Sami