enabling IMAP SORT and THREAD extensions

enabling IMAP SORT and THREAD extensions

Colin Brace
Administrator
Hi all,

The home page of the Dovecot website indicates:

"Supports multiple commonly used IMAP extensions, including SORT, THREAD and IDLE."

However, I cannot find instructions in the Wiki for how to enable these extensions. Can someone tell me how to do this? I will add this info to the Wiki myself if need be.

Thanks.

Re: enabling IMAP SORT and THREAD extensions

Timo Sirainen
On Sun, 2010-02-21 at 01:02 -0800, Colin Brace wrote:
> "Supports multiple commonly used IMAP extensions, including SORT, THREAD and
> IDLE."
>
> However, I cannot find instructions in the Wiki for how to enable these
> extensions. Can someone tell me how to do this? I will add this info to the
> Wiki myself if need be.

They're always enabled, there's nothing you can do about them. Of
course, you need some IMAP client (webmail) that actually uses these
extensions.

On 02/21/2010 01:32 PM, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> They're always enabled, there's nothing you can do about them. Of
> course, you need some IMAP client (webmail) that actually uses these
> extensions.

OK, thanks.

The reason I asked is that in the Squirrelmail docs:

http://www.squirrelmail.org/docs/admin/admin-6.html#ss6.3

it says:

[...]

To find out if the IMAP server supports server-side sorting and
threading, telnet to it and ask:

$ telnet imapserver.example.com imap

* OK

1 capability
* CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 UIDPLUS CHILDREN NAMESPACE THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES SORT QUOTA IDLE AUTH=PLAIN STARTTLS
1 OK CAPABILITY completed

The SORT and THREAD capabilities indicates that this server supports
these extensions. Next step is to configure SquirrelMail to use them.

[...]

If telnet into Dovecot on my server, it doesn't explicitly indicate SORT
and THREAD capabilities:

$ telnet localhost imap
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE
STARTTLS AUTH=PLAIN] Dovecot ready.

Hence my confusion.

-Colin

--
   Colin Brace
   Amsterdam

Re: enabling IMAP SORT and THREAD extensions

Anton Dollmaier
> If telnet into Dovecot on my server, it doesn't explicitly indicate SORT
> and THREAD capabilities:

You did not issue the "1 capability"-command.

If you do so, you will get this (or similar):

> root@terra:~# telnet localhost 143
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> Connected to localhost.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> * OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE STARTTLS AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=LOGIN] Dovecot ready.
> 1 capability
> * CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE SORT SORT=DISPLAY THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=REFS MULTIAPPEND UNSELECT IDLE CHILDREN NAMESPACE UIDPLUS LIST-EXTENDED I18NLEVEL=1 CONDSTORE QRESYNC ESEARCH ESORT SEARCHRES WITHIN CONTEXT=SEARCH LIST-STATUS QUOTA STARTTLS AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=LOGIN
> 1 OK Capability completed.

which clearly states "SORT" and "THREAD".

best regards,

Anton

Re: enabling IMAP SORT and THREAD extensions

Leonardo Rodrigues Magalhães
Em 21/02/2010 11:51, Colin Brace escreveu:

> $ telnet localhost imap
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> Connected to localhost.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> * OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE
> STARTTLS AUTH=PLAIN] Dovecot ready.

     dovecot do not show ALL its capabilities before the login
successfully happens.

     try this

telnet   localhost   imap

.  login   [hidden email]   password
(after the  Logged in)
.  capability

     and search for SORT and THREAD in the new capabilities banner

--

        Atenciosamente / Sincerily,
        Leonardo Rodrigues

        My SPAMTRAP, do not email it