hosting emails at home

André Rodier-2
Hello everyone,

I have been using Postfix and Dovecot for my personal emails for years.
After being tired of reinstalling my personal mail server many times, I
am currently writing some Ansible scripts to do it automatically.

I obviously checked the other projects, and did not found anything close
to what I am looking for, so I am implementing it now.

The final goal is to have a box that once online, would setup itself, by
creating the certificates, the DKIM keys and update the appropriate DNS
records.

This is so far what I have achieved:
- Automatic generation of certificates using LetsEncrypt
- Automatic update of the domain entries: imap, smtp, webmail, etc.
- Automatic generation of a DKIM keys
- Automatic update of specific records (MX, SPF, DKIM, etc.)
- LDAP server for user accounts, with or without system login.
- Installation of Postfix, Dovecot and Roundcube

Sending DKIM signed emails is working, and the IMAP server is configured
as well, although basic.

The postfix and dovecot configuration are not yet entirely finished. I
am planing to add an anti spam system, and sieve, amongst other things.

Although in development during my spare time, the system is normally
robust and you should be able to run it multiple times without errors.

If anyone is interested to use it, to have a look, or to take part, it
is here: https://github.com/progmaticltd/homebox

Kind regards,
André Rodier.

Re: hosting emails at home

Jeff Abrahamson
On 10/12/17 20:05, André Rodier wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have been using Postfix and Dovecot for my personal emails for years.
> After being tired of reinstalling my personal mail server many times, I
> am currently writing some Ansible scripts to do it automatically.

Kudos, it's a good project.  Thanks for sharing it.

I thought it might be useful to offer a counterpoint: I thought about
automating server setup, but decided against it because I do it seldom
enough (for my personal serveres) that I should expect bitrot and
software evolution to make what I automate not quite work the way I
expect on next setup.  Instead, I wrote up extensive notes about how I
set up my servers with a few scripts to help me compare config files.
It's a work in progress, like all such things.

    https://github.com/JeffAbrahamson/hosts/tree/master/p27

The real point, I suppose, is that if I have to set up a new version of
my server, say because I'm upgrading OS significantly, I'd like to force
myself to look at what I'm doing rather than have the false confidence
that comes from having perfectly scripted it some years back but not
having thought through texting in light of whatever changes have
happened to software since.

Reasonable people may dispute these points.  It's also significant that
I don't like to spend the time on devops necessary to debug these sorts
of things, so there's a lot of personal taste in it.

--

Jeff Abrahamson
+33 6 24 40 01 57

http://p27.eu/jeff/

Re: hosting emails at home

Bruce Markey
Check out https://github.com/sovereign/sovereign/blob/master/README.md

Might have some of what you are looking for already done.

Bruce

On Dec 10, 2017 2:06 PM, André Rodier <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

André Rodier.

Re: hosting emails at home

Kenneth Porter
--On Sunday, December 10, 2017 7:05 PM +0000 André Rodier
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is so far what I have achieved:

How about MIMEDefang, ClamAV, and SpamAssassin? I'm currently running
MD+Clam from sendmail and SA from procmail, but I'm open to seeing the
equivalent solution with Postfix and the Dovecot LDA.

(One thing that keeps me from switching to Postfix is the need to accept
"plussed" addresses using both the plus sign and the dot (for websites that
refuse "+" in an email address).)

Re: hosting emails at home

André Rodier-2
Thank you,

I remember to had a look at this project, and I found it huge.

I started mine because I want LDAP authentication.

I also wanted less features / programs, less obtrusive, and  better
attention to small details, like automatic DKIM generation and DNS updates.

I hope not to end up with something as huge.

André

On 10/12/17 19:19, [hidden email] wrote:

> Check out https://github.com/sovereign/sovereign/blob/master/README.md
>

> Might have some of what you are looking for already done.
>

> Bruce
>

> On Dec 10, 2017 2:06 PM, André Rodier <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have been using Postfix and Dovecot for my personal emails for years.
> After being tired of reinstalling my personal mail server many times, I
> am currently writing some Ansible scripts to do it automatically.
>
> I obviously checked the other projects, and did not found anything close
> to what I am looking for, so I am implementing it now.
>
> The final goal is to have a box that once online, would setup itself, by
> creating the certificates, the DKIM keys and update the appropriate DNS
> records.
>
> This is so far what I have achieved:
> - Automatic generation of certificates using LetsEncrypt
> - Automatic update of the domain entries: imap, smtp, webmail, etc.
> - Automatic generation of a DKIM keys
> - Automatic update of specific records (MX, SPF, DKIM, etc.)
> - LDAP server for user accounts, with or without system login.
> - Installation of Postfix, Dovecot and Roundcube
>
> Sending DKIM signed emails is working, and the IMAP server is configured
> as well, although basic.
>
> The postfix and dovecot configuration are not yet entirely finished. I
> am planing to add an anti spam system, and sieve, amongst other things.
>
> Although in development during my spare time, the system is normally
> robust and you should be able to run it multiple times without errors.
>
> If anyone is interested to use it, to have a look, or to take part, it
> is here: https://github.com/progmaticltd/homebox
>
> Kind regards,
> André Rodier.

Re: hosting emails at home

André Rodier-2
Hello Mike,

Yes, I am using a static IP address, but in theory, you could use a
dynamic one.

Nothing technically would prevent email exchanges between two boxes, as
long as the SPF records are up to date and the DKIM is properly setup.

Unfortunately, some ISPs are simply blacklisting full range of private
IP addresses just because they are not officials / commercials.

Kind regards,
André

On 10/12/17 19:24, Mike wrote:

> Nice.
>
> Are you using a static IP in this setup?
>
> It doesn't seem like it, but wanted to be sure.
>
> Mike.
>
> Quoting André Rodier <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I have been using Postfix and Dovecot for my personal emails for years.
>> After being tired of reinstalling my personal mail server many times, I
>> am currently writing some Ansible scripts to do it automatically.
>>
>> I obviously checked the other projects, and did not found anything close
>> to what I am looking for, so I am implementing it now.
>>
>> The final goal is to have a box that once online, would setup itself, by
>> creating the certificates, the DKIM keys and update the appropriate DNS
>> records.
>>
>> This is so far what I have achieved:
>> - Automatic generation of certificates using LetsEncrypt
>> - Automatic update of the domain entries: imap, smtp, webmail, etc.
>> - Automatic generation of a DKIM keys
>> - Automatic update of specific records (MX, SPF, DKIM, etc.)
>> - LDAP server for user accounts, with or without system login.
>> - Installation of Postfix, Dovecot and Roundcube
>>
>> Sending DKIM signed emails is working, and the IMAP server is configured
>> as well, although basic.
>>
>> The postfix and dovecot configuration are not yet entirely finished. I
>> am planing to add an anti spam system, and sieve, amongst other things.
>>
>> Although in development during my spare time, the system is normally
>> robust and you should be able to run it multiple times without errors.
>>
>> If anyone is interested to use it, to have a look, or to take part, it
>> is here: https://github.com/progmaticltd/homebox
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> André Rodier.

Re: hosting emails at home

Fabian A. Santiago
On December 10, 2017 2:49:35 PM EST, "André Rodier" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hello Mike,
>
>Yes, I am using a static IP address, but in theory, you could use a
>dynamic one.
>
>Nothing technically would prevent email exchanges between two boxes, as
>long as the SPF records are up to date and the DKIM is properly setup.
>
>Unfortunately, some ISPs are simply blacklisting full range of private
>IP addresses just because they are not officials / commercials.
>
>Kind regards,
>André
>
>On 10/12/17 19:24, Mike wrote:
>>
>> Nice.
>>
>> Are you using a static IP in this setup?
>>
>> It doesn't seem like it, but wanted to be sure.
>>
>> Mike.
>>
>> Quoting André Rodier <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>> Hello everyone,
>>>
>>> I have been using Postfix and Dovecot for my personal emails for
>years.
>>> After being tired of reinstalling my personal mail server many
>times, I
>>> am currently writing some Ansible scripts to do it automatically.
>>>
>>> I obviously checked the other projects, and did not found anything
>close
>>> to what I am looking for, so I am implementing it now.
>>>
>>> The final goal is to have a box that once online, would setup
>itself, by
>>> creating the certificates, the DKIM keys and update the appropriate
>DNS
>>> records.
>>>
>>> This is so far what I have achieved:
>>> - Automatic generation of certificates using LetsEncrypt
>>> - Automatic update of the domain entries: imap, smtp, webmail, etc.
>>> - Automatic generation of a DKIM keys
>>> - Automatic update of specific records (MX, SPF, DKIM, etc.)
>>> - LDAP server for user accounts, with or without system login.
>>> - Installation of Postfix, Dovecot and Roundcube
>>>
>>> Sending DKIM signed emails is working, and the IMAP server is
>configured
>>> as well, although basic.
>>>
>>> The postfix and dovecot configuration are not yet entirely finished.
>>> am planing to add an anti spam system, and sieve, amongst other
>things.
>>>
>>> Although in development during my spare time, the system is normally
>>> robust and you should be able to run it multiple times without
>errors.
>>>
>>> If anyone is interested to use it, to have a look, or to take part,
>it
>>> is here: https://github.com/progmaticltd/homebox
>>>
>>> Kind regards,
>>> André Rodier.

Non static ip'd mail servers are also blocked because they're typically spammers.

Fabian S.

Re: hosting emails at home

Stephan Herker
I have dovecot postfix setup on my home server as well.  I use a virtual
server in the cloud as my mx record and mail relay and have my home record
on dynamic dns.  It's really effective.

On Dec 10, 2017 2:37 PM, "Fabian A. Santiago" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On December 10, 2017 2:49:35 PM EST, "André Rodier" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >Hello Mike,
> >
> >Yes, I am using a static IP address, but in theory, you could use a
> >dynamic one.
> >
> >Nothing technically would prevent email exchanges between two boxes, as
> >long as the SPF records are up to date and the DKIM is properly setup.
> >
> >Unfortunately, some ISPs are simply blacklisting full range of private
> >IP addresses just because they are not officials / commercials.
> >
> >Kind regards,
> >André
> >
> >On 10/12/17 19:24, Mike wrote:
> >>
> >> Nice.
> >>
> >> Are you using a static IP in this setup?
> >>
> >> It doesn't seem like it, but wanted to be sure.
> >>
> >> Mike.

> >years.
> >times, I

> >close

> >itself, by
> >DNS

> >configured

> >things.

> >errors.

> >it

> Non static ip'd mail servers are also blocked because they're typically
> spammers.
> --
>
> Thanks,
>
> Fabian S.

Re: hosting emails at home

Fabian A. Santiago
On December 10, 2017 3:39:05 PM EST, Stephan H <[hidden email]> wrote:

>I have dovecot postfix setup on my home server as well.  I use a
>virtual
>server in the cloud as my mx record and mail relay and have my home
>record
>on dynamic dns.  It's really effective.
>
>On Dec 10, 2017 2:37 PM, "Fabian A. Santiago"
><[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>
>> On December 10, 2017 2:49:35 PM EST, "André Rodier" <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> >Hello Mike,
>> >
>> >Yes, I am using a static IP address, but in theory, you could use a
>> >dynamic one.
>> >
>> >Nothing technically would prevent email exchanges between two boxes,
>as
>> >long as the SPF records are up to date and the DKIM is properly
>setup.
>> >
>> >Unfortunately, some ISPs are simply blacklisting full range of
>private
>> >IP addresses just because they are not officials / commercials.
>> >
>> >Kind regards,
>> >André

>> >years.
>> >times, I

>anything
>> >close

>> >itself, by
>appropriate
>> >DNS

>etc.

>> >configured

>finished.
>> >things.

>normally
>> >errors.

>part,
>> >it

>> Non static ip'd mail servers are also blocked because they're
>typically
>> spammers.
>> --
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Fabian S.

Stephan h, may I ask why you do that? Just out of curiosity.

Fabian S.

Re: hosting emails at home

André Rodier-2
Hello Bruce et al,

One thing I did not specify. I have very strict idea in the way I am
installing a package on a server I put online.

Ideally, I want to have some install process I setup once and I don't
have to worry about anything, especially security.

When I have to install a software, let's say Roundcube, I prefer to use
the native version that comes with Debian server. Of course, it is a
little bit outdated, but I know there is a security team behind that
publishes security patches. I know these security patches will be
applied, while I sleep or while I am in holidays, if I install and
configure correctly unattended upgrades packages.

If really I want more control, I know there is packages on Debian that
will send me an email when updates are available, and I can install them
from anywhere using SSH.

In no case, I would be comfortable installing, on a Live server,
Roundcube from the git repository, which is done fir this project. It is
far too easy to forget and leave it for months with security issues
opened for a while.

Yes, I know there is cron scripts I can use to update the repository.
But even in this case, who is guarantee me that nothing will break on my
server? Once again, there is a Debian team that do a fabulous
integration work, and I don't want to break my mail server just to have
the latest version of Roundcube or Owncloud.

By staying inside the Debian ecosystem, I am also sure that some third
party applications or repositories will stay nicely integrated with the
current state of my server. For instance, I know that I should be able
to add syncthing (https://apt.syncthing.net/) repository as part of the
deployment process, without worrying too much about conflict from files
overwritten by these kind of manipulations.

I don't say one opinion is better that the other, it is just the way I
prefer to work - and as a matter - to live.

Kind regards,
André

On 10/12/17 19:46, André Rodier wrote:

> Thank you,
>
> I remember to had a look at this project, and I found it huge.
>
> I started mine because I want LDAP authentication.
>
> I also wanted less features / programs, less obtrusive, and  better
> attention to small details, like automatic DKIM generation and DNS updates.
>
> I hope not to end up with something as huge.
>
> André
>
> On 10/12/17 19:19, [hidden email] wrote:
>> Check out https://github.com/sovereign/sovereign/blob/master/README.md
>>

>> Might have some of what you are looking for already done.
>>

>> Bruce
>>

>> On Dec 10, 2017 2:06 PM, André Rodier <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I have been using Postfix and Dovecot for my personal emails for years.
>> After being tired of reinstalling my personal mail server many times, I
>> am currently writing some Ansible scripts to do it automatically.
>>
>> I obviously checked the other projects, and did not found anything close
>> to what I am looking for, so I am implementing it now.
>>
>> The final goal is to have a box that once online, would setup itself, by
>> creating the certificates, the DKIM keys and update the appropriate DNS
>> records.
>>
>> This is so far what I have achieved:
>> - Automatic generation of certificates using LetsEncrypt
>> - Automatic update of the domain entries: imap, smtp, webmail, etc.
>> - Automatic generation of a DKIM keys
>> - Automatic update of specific records (MX, SPF, DKIM, etc.)
>> - LDAP server for user accounts, with or without system login.
>> - Installation of Postfix, Dovecot and Roundcube
>>
>> Sending DKIM signed emails is working, and the IMAP server is configured
>> as well, although basic.
>>
>> The postfix and dovecot configuration are not yet entirely finished. I
>> am planing to add an anti spam system, and sieve, amongst other things.
>>
>> Although in development during my spare time, the system is normally
>> robust and you should be able to run it multiple times without errors.
>>
>> If anyone is interested to use it, to have a look, or to take part, it
>> is here: https://github.com/progmaticltd/homebox
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> André Rodier.

Re: hosting emails at home

Stephan Herker
Which part?  Hosting the email server at home or the relay in the cloud?

On Dec 10, 2017 14:53, "Fabian A. Santiago" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On December 10, 2017 3:39:05 PM EST, Stephan H <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >I have dovecot postfix setup on my home server as well.  I use a
> >virtual
> >server in the cloud as my mx record and mail relay and have my home
> >record
> >on dynamic dns.  It's really effective.
> >
> >On Dec 10, 2017 2:37 PM, "Fabian A. Santiago"
> ><[hidden email]>
> >wrote:

> >as
> >setup.

> >private

> >anything

> >appropriate

> >etc.

> >finished.

> >normally

> >part,

> >> Non static ip'd mail servers are also blocked because they're
> >typically
> >> spammers.
> >> --
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Fabian S.

> Stephan h, may I ask why you do that? Just out of curiosity.
> --
>
> Thanks,
>
> Fabian S.

Re: hosting emails at home

Fabian A. Santiago
On December 10, 2017 5:25:46 PM EST, Stephan H <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Which part?  Hosting the email server at home or the relay in the
>cloud?
>
>On Dec 10, 2017 14:53, "Fabian A. Santiago"
><[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>
>> On December 10, 2017 3:39:05 PM EST, Stephan H <[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>> >I have dovecot postfix setup on my home server as well.  I use a
>> >virtual
>> >server in the cloud as my mx record and mail relay and have my home
>> >record
>> >on dynamic dns.  It's really effective.
>> >
>> >On Dec 10, 2017 2:37 PM, "Fabian A. Santiago"
>> ><[hidden email]>

><[hidden email]>

>boxes,
>> >as
>> >setup.

>> >private

>for
>automatically.

>> >anything

>> >appropriate

>> >etc.

>> >finished.
>other

>> >normally

>> >part,

>> >typically

>> Stephan h, may I ask why you do that? Just out of curiosity.
>> --
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Fabian S.

Both; the whole setup.

Fabian S.

Re: hosting emails at home

Kenneth Porter
On 12/10/2017 12:39 PM, Stephan H wrote:
> I have dovecot postfix setup on my home server as well.  I use a virtual
> server in the cloud as my mx record and mail relay and have my home record
> on dynamic dns.  It's really effective.

My MX points at a leased virtual server and my home server uses
fetchmail to pull the mail into local mailboxes. I suppose dsync might
be used instead of fetchmail.

Re: hosting emails at home

Stephan Herker
Originally I was on a business connection, so no port blocking.  I moved to
a residential connection at home and they blocked port 25.  So  I  enabled
my VPS in the cloud to relay my mail to the imap server in my home.  It's a
very simple setup.  I only allow a couple IPs to relay anything through (
my home IP and other VPS's).  Any other connection must be delivering to my
IP or it's rejected.  Then In the transport maps tell it to utilize a non
standard port

domain.com  relay:[home.domain.com:28]

On the home server's postfix I just define the relay host which also uses a
non standard port

relayhost: [vps1.domain.com:26]

At this point you just have to setup your postfix/dovecot config how you
want.  I'm using postfixadmin and both postfix and dovecot use mysql to
determine domains, users, and passwords.

On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 2:27 PM, Fabian A. Santiago <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On December 10, 2017 5:25:46 PM EST, Stephan H <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >Which part?  Hosting the email server at home or the relay in the
> >cloud?
> >
> >On Dec 10, 2017 14:53, "Fabian A. Santiago"
> ><[hidden email]>
> >wrote:

> ><[hidden email]>

> >boxes,

> >for
> >automatically.

> >other

> >> Stephan h, may I ask why you do that? Just out of curiosity.
> >> --
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Fabian S.

> Both; the whole setup.
> --
>
> Thanks,
>
> Fabian S.

Re: hosting emails at home

Darac Marjal
On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 11:23:34AM -0800, Kenneth Porter wrote:

>--On Sunday, December 10, 2017 7:05 PM +0000 André Rodier
><[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>This is so far what I have achieved:
>
>How about MIMEDefang, ClamAV, and SpamAssassin? I'm currently running
>MD+Clam from sendmail and SA from procmail, but I'm open to seeing the
>equivalent solution with Postfix and the Dovecot LDA.
>
>(One thing that keeps me from switching to Postfix is the need to
>accept "plussed" addresses using both the plus sign and the dot (for
>websites that refuse "+" in an email address).)
That's relatively easy. I use the following:

In main.cf:
        recipient_delimiter = +
        canonical_maps = pcre:/etc/postfix/canonical

In /etc/postfix/canonical:
        /^([^\.]+)\.([^\.]+)@(darac\.org\.uk)$/ ${1}+${2}@${3}

The regex can probably be simplified a lot, but to me that's clear that
[hidden email] gets mapped to [hidden email].

That means that I can use plus addressing where it's supported and dot
addressing where it isn't. From the server's point of view, it's all
plus-addressed, but I've not yet come across a domain that doesn't like
(SMTP) mail with a + in the from field (it's usually just the web forms
that complain).

--
For more information, please reread.

Re: hosting emails at home

Ruben Safir
thatis not secure and you might as well use gmail

It is not so hard to just get a static IP and put a mail server up.

fit/pc has perfect boxes for this, run on about 15w/h power

On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 02:42:36PM -0800, Kenneth Porter wrote:
> On 12/10/2017 12:39 PM, Stephan H wrote:
> >I have dovecot postfix setup on my home server as well.  I use a virtual
> >server in the cloud as my mx record and mail relay and have my home record
> >on dynamic dns.  It's really effective.
>
> My MX points at a leased virtual server and my home server uses
> fetchmail to pull the mail into local mailboxes. I suppose dsync
> might be used instead of fetchmail.

http://www.mrbrklyn.com

http://www.nylxs.com - Leadership Development in Free Software
http://www2.mrbrklyn.com/resources - Unpublished Archive
http://www.coinhangout.com - coins!
http://www.brooklyn-living.com

Re: hosting emails at home

Kenneth Porter
--On Monday, December 11, 2017 1:06 PM +0000 Darac Marjal
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> That's relatively easy. I use the following:

Thanks! My recipe for sendmail is here (section Sendmail workaround, near
the end of the page), copied from a post on the sendmail newsgroup.

<http://mozilla.wikia.com/wiki/User:Me_at_work/plushaters>

Every time I look into Postfix it looks so much simpler, and your example,
even with the complicated regex, confirms that.

Re: hosting emails at home

Kenneth Porter
--On Monday, December 11, 2017 1:07 PM -0500 Ruben Safir
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> thatis not secure and you might as well use gmail
>
> It is not so hard to just get a static IP and put a mail server up.

Why do you think this isn't secure?

Gmail wouldn't let me run my own spam and AV solution. My external server
gives me full control, with sendmail, MIMEDefang, SpamAssassin, ClamAV,
dovecot, and procmail. I could, in principle, keep a remote copy of all my
mail there and dsync it to my home server. I'm using fetchmail (with SSL
option) only because I didn't understand dsync when I set it up.

I'm still a bit unclear on how dsync decides which users to sync. All my
users are real system users, not virtual users. I'd like to retire my 3
older accounts on my home system to never receive email again, only provide
it for archival reading, and direct all my mail to new accounts that could
be dsync'd to the leased external server. So I'd want to limit dsync to
only sync the new accounts. Which might even be virtual.

Re: hosting emails at home

Ruben Safir
what I said, not what you said...