ot: 2.2 ghettoforge install systemctl Q

Voytek Eymont
I've installed new Centos 7 with Dovecot 2.2 from ghettoforge and, used
/etc/dovecot from current Centos 6 Dovecot 2.1

I can start/stop Dovecot with dovecot / doveadm stop

BUT when I tried 'systemctl' I get

# systemctl status dovecot
● dovecot.service - Dovecot IMAP/POP3 email server
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/dovecot.service; disabled;
vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: inactive (dead)
     Docs: man:dovecot(1)
           http://wiki2.dovecot.org/

how do I fix this, or, do I need to fix it ?

or maybe I need to pursue this on ghettoforge list

Re: ot: 2.2 ghettoforge install systemctl Q

Aki Tuomi-2

> On December 16, 2017 at 1:59 AM [hidden email] wrote:
>

> I've installed new Centos 7 with Dovecot 2.2 from ghettoforge and, used
> /etc/dovecot from current Centos 6 Dovecot 2.1
>
> I can start/stop Dovecot with dovecot / doveadm stop
>
> BUT when I tried 'systemctl' I get
>
> # systemctl status dovecot
> ● dovecot.service - Dovecot IMAP/POP3 email server
>    Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/dovecot.service; disabled;
> vendor preset: disabled)
>    Active: inactive (dead)
>      Docs: man:dovecot(1)
>            http://wiki2.dovecot.org/
>
> how do I fix this, or, do I need to fix it ?
>
> or maybe I need to pursue this on ghettoforge list

Try systemctl enable dovecot

Re: ot: 2.2 ghettoforge install systemctl Q

Peter Ajamian
On 16/12/17 20:45, Aki Tuomi wrote:

>> I've installed new Centos 7 with Dovecot 2.2 from ghettoforge and, used
>> /etc/dovecot from current Centos 6 Dovecot 2.1
>>
>> I can start/stop Dovecot with dovecot / doveadm stop
>>
>> BUT when I tried 'systemctl' I get
>>
>> # systemctl status dovecot
>> ● dovecot.service - Dovecot IMAP/POP3 email server
>>    Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/dovecot.service; disabled;
>> vendor preset: disabled)
>>    Active: inactive (dead)
>>      Docs: man:dovecot(1)
>>            http://wiki2.dovecot.org/
>>
>> how do I fix this, or, do I need to fix it ?
>>
>> or maybe I need to pursue this on ghettoforge list
>>

> Try systemctl enable dovecot

...and systemctl start dovecot.

You need to be starting and stopping dovecot with systemctl (or the
older service command which still works in CentOS 7), if you do not then
systemd cannot track the running state properly.

Peter

On Sat, December 16, 2017 9:08 pm, Peter wrote:
> On 16/12/17 20:45, Aki Tuomi wrote:

>> Try systemctl enable dovecot
> ...and systemctl start dovecot.
> You need to be starting and stopping dovecot with systemctl (or the
> older service command which still works in CentOS 7), if you do not then
> systemd cannot track the running state properly.

Peter, Aki, thanks, getting there

//meanwhile, tried manually copy denyhosts.py 3.1 over latest RPM 2.9
(just copy the file, can't be that complex, he says..), and, stuffed up
denyhosts...:

Dec 16 21:45:54 systemd[1]: Failed to start SSH log watcher.
seemed like a good idea at the time, fools just never learn...//

but, dovecot is good:

# systemctl status  dovecot
● dovecot.service - Dovecot IMAP/POP3 email server
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/dovecot.service; enabled;
vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: active (running) since Sat 2017-12-16 21:51:04 AEDT; 7s ago
     Docs: man:dovecot(1)
           http://wiki2.dovecot.org/
  Process: 1559 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/dovecot (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
  Process: 1552 ExecStartPre=/usr/libexec/dovecot/prestartscript
(code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
 Main PID: 1563 (dovecot)
   CGroup: /system.slice/dovecot.service
           ├─1563 /usr/sbin/dovecot