proxy dual server setup clarification

Dovecot mailing list

I want to migrate mail users to a new environment.

If I setup a new server next to the old server, and enable proxy on
both. Is this then enough to migrate user by user with the passdb
host=newsvr option to the new environment?

Eg. I do not need to configure a director setup?
I only need to enable proxy for imap and lmtp on both servers? (messages
on the oldsvr will be proxied to the newsvr?)

Re: proxy dual server setup clarification

Dovecot mailing list

> On 12 Nov 2019, at 16.03, Marc Roos via dovecot <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> I want to migrate mail users to a new environment.
>
> If I setup a new server next to the old server, and enable proxy on
> both. Is this then enough to migrate user by user with the passdb
> host=newsvr option to the new environment?
>
> Eg. I do not need to configure a director setup?
> I only need to enable proxy for imap and lmtp on both servers? (messages
> on the oldsvr will be proxied to the newsvr?)

You need just one proxy where the user session is authenticated and then
 forwarded to either backend depending on the host value. You don't need to
"enable proxy" on any backend or use director.

Sami

RE: proxy dual server setup clarification

Dovecot mailing list

Hi Sami,

I have this proxy on pop3/imap working however, I can't get this lmtp to
work.

In theory only these configuration changes, should allow messages to be
directed for account: test to server svr1 not?

lmtp_proxy = yes

protocol lmtp {
  # Space separated list of plugins to load (default is global
mail_plugins).
  passdb {
  driver = passwd-file
  args = /etc/dovecot/special-passdb
  default_fields = proxy=y host=svr1

bash-5.0# cat /etc/dovecot/special-passdb
test:password:1000:1000:(gecos):home:/bin/false:host=svr1

bash-5.0# cat /tmp/test.msg | /usr/libexec/dovecot/lmtp
Info: Connect from local
220 081b883fa2bc Dovecot ready.
250 2.1.0 OK
Panic: file connection.c: line 380 (connection_update_properties):
assertion failed: (conn->remote_port != 0)
Aborted (core dumped)