read only FS access

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

read only FS access

Bugzilla from mathieu.kretchner@sophia.inria.fr
Hello,

I would like to know if it's possible to subscribe to a folder that is
on a read only File System ?

We have a snapshot mechanism that create a .snapshot directly in the
user folder. This is done by our NAS and we would like to give an access
to this backup to our users.

Thanks.

mathieu_kretchner.vcf (269 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: read only FS access

Asheesh Laroia
On Tue, 28 Oct 2008, Mathieu Kretchner wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to know if it's possible to subscribe to a folder that is
> on a read only File System ?
>
> We have a snapshot mechanism that create a .snapshot directly in the
> user folder. This is done by our NAS and we would like to give an access
> to this backup to our users.

If you tell Dovecot to store the cache and indexes elsewhere, that should
work fine.  I haven't tried it, though.

-- Asheesh.

--
Avoid gunfire in the bathroom tonight.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: read only FS access

Bugzilla from mathieu.kretchner@sophia.inria.fr
Asheesh Laroia a écrit :

> On Tue, 28 Oct 2008, Mathieu Kretchner wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I would like to know if it's possible to subscribe to a folder that is
>> on a read only File System ?
>>
>> We have a snapshot mechanism that create a .snapshot directly in the
>> user folder. This is done by our NAS and we would like to give an access
>> to this backup to our users.
>
> If you tell Dovecot to store the cache and indexes elsewhere, that
> should work fine.  I haven't tried it, though.
>
> -- Asheesh.
>
My problem is that dovecot complain when I subscribe to the folder in
read only
I've found this (after my e-mail to this list, forgive me :) )
http://markmail.org/message/l7rybsx27ofq57cp#query:dovecot%20read%20only+page:3+mid:c2ut2u4bajyx22fh+state:results

But could someone tell me if it's working now ? Because it's a little
bit old !

mathieu_kretchner.vcf (269 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: read only FS access

Timo Sirainen
On Wed, 2008-10-29 at 10:10 +0100, Mathieu Kretchner wrote:
> My problem is that dovecot complain when I subscribe to the folder in
> read only

What does it complain?


signature.asc (204 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: read only FS access

Timo Sirainen
On Wed, 2008-10-29 at 17:01 +0200, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-10-29 at 10:10 +0100, Mathieu Kretchner wrote:
> > My problem is that dovecot complain when I subscribe to the folder in
> > read only
>
> What does it complain?

If the problem is that you've a namespace created for a read-only
partition, you can simply set subscriptions=no.

If that doesn't help, post your dovecot -n output and describe your
setup.


signature.asc (204 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: read only FS access

Bugzilla from mathieu.kretchner@sophia.inria.fr
In reply to this post by Timo Sirainen
Timo Sirainen a écrit :
> On Wed, 2008-10-29 at 10:10 +0100, Mathieu Kretchner wrote:
>> My problem is that dovecot complain when I subscribe to the folder in
>> read only
>
> What does it complain?
>
Thunderbird :
internal error occured. Refer to server log for more information

Oct 29 16:08:58 myserver dovecot: IMAP(imap1):
utime(/data/maildir/i/imap1/.backup/tmp) failed: Read
-only file system
Oct 29 16:08:58 myserver dovecot: IMAP(imap1):
open(/data/maildir/i/imap1/.backup/dovecot-uidlist.lo
ck) failed: Read-only file system
Oct 29 16:08:58 myserver dovecot: IMAP(imap1):
file_dotlock_create(/data/maildir/i/imap1/.backup/dov
ecot-uidlist) failed: Read-only file system

And my goal is to give access to user at this .backup folder that
contains snapshot .

The dovecot -n output for namespace :

namespace:
  type: private
  separator: /
  inbox: yes
  list: yes
  subscriptions: yes
namespace:
  type: public
  separator: /
  prefix: SharedEquipe/
  location: maildir:/data/imap/shared
  list: yes
  subscriptions: yes

mathieu_kretchner.vcf (269 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: read only FS access

Timo Sirainen
On Wed, 2008-10-29 at 16:21 +0100, Mathieu Kretchner wrote:
> Oct 29 16:08:58 myserver dovecot: IMAP(imap1):
> utime(/data/maildir/i/imap1/.backup/tmp) failed: Read
> -only file system

Hmm. This isn't really a problem. Perhaps I should even hide this error
message.

> Oct 29 16:08:58 myserver dovecot: IMAP(imap1):
> open(/data/maildir/i/imap1/.backup/dovecot-uidlist.lo
> ck) failed: Read-only file system
> Oct 29 16:08:58 myserver dovecot: IMAP(imap1):
> file_dotlock_create(/data/maildir/i/imap1/.backup/dov
> ecot-uidlist) failed: Read-only file system

This is a problem. Dovecot must be able to create dovecot-uidlist file.
You could place all the control files to a different directory though,
for example:

mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir:CONTROL=~/Maildir/dovecot:INDEX=~/Maildir/dovecot

Indexes don't really matter, but performance is better if they exist.

Anyway if you already have users using the mails, you should copy/move
all the dovecot* files to ~/Maildir/dovecot/ under the correct
directories. dovecot-uidlist and dovecot-keywords most importantly,
otherwise the users will redownload all their mails and lose any message
keywords they've set.


signature.asc (204 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: read only FS access

Bugzilla from mathieu.kretchner@sophia.inria.fr
 > mail_location =
maildir:~/Maildir:CONTROL=~/Maildir/dovecot:INDEX=~/Maildir/dovecot
>
It's ok, I've tried with this configuration and it's working.
Thanks for your help !

mathieu_kretchner.vcf (269 bytes) Download Attachment