running dovecot under different user

Dovecot mailing list

Did anyone ever managed to run dovecot as a non-root user?

Re: running dovecot under different user

Dovecot mailing list
On 2019-12-02 20:08, Marc Roos via dovecot wrote:
> Did anyone ever managed to run dovecot as a non-root user?

basic: all ports below 1024 need to be setup from root unix system user

so yes dovecot can run non rooted if all binded ports is over 1023

if thats practical

RE: running dovecot under different user

Dovecot mailing list

Unless you run with linux capability net_bind_service. But I just found
this page[1] maybe those user options help.

[1]
https://wiki.dovecot.org/HowTo/Rootless