sendmail -> lmtp 501 5.6.0 Data format error

sendmail -> lmtp 501 5.6.0 Data format error

Dovecot mailing list

When changing in a working setup sendmail.mc

From this
MAILER(smtp)dnl
MAILER(procmail)dnl

To this
FEATURE(`local_lmtp',`[IPC]',`FILE /var/run/dovecot/lmtp')dnl
MAILER(local)dnl

I am getting these errors '501 5.6.0 Data format error' and '
Unrecognized host name'.

What should I change in my lmtp config? Could this be related that
messages are being relayed from other servers?

lmtp_address_translate =
lmtp_hdr_delivery_address = final
lmtp_proxy = no
lmtp_rcpt_check_quota = no
lmtp_save_to_detail_mailbox = no
lmtp_user_concurrency_limit = 0

RE: sendmail -> lmtp 501 5.6.0 Data format error

Dovecot mailing list

Eg. When I send email from gmail it looks like this
    (reason: 553 5.1.2 <[hidden email]>... Unrecognized host name
gmail.com.)

When changing in a working setup sendmail.mc

From this

On Thu, 28 Nov 2019, Marc Roos wrote:

> When changing in a working setup sendmail.mc
>
> From this
> MAILER(smtp)dnl
> MAILER(procmail)dnl
>
> To this
> FEATURE(`local_lmtp',`[IPC]',`FILE /var/run/dovecot/lmtp')dnl
> MAILER(local)dnl
>
> I am getting these errors '501 5.6.0 Data format error' and '
> Unrecognized host name'.
> Eg. When I send email from gmail it looks like this
>    (reason: 553 5.1.2 <[hidden email]>... Unrecognized host name
> gmail.com.)

Just a stab (I toyed around with LMTP for a while and probably
will eventually use it), but you probably need to retain

  MAILER(smtp)dnl

Sendmail has semi-cryptic documentation on what it does

  https://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/doc8.12/cf/m4/mailers.html

Joseph Tam <[hidden email]>

RE: sendmail -> lmtp 501 5.6.0 Data format error

Dovecot mailing list

Yes you were right, I asked also at sendmail and they also told me the
smtp should stay. Seems to be working now with lmtp and sieve.