v1.1.rc6 released

Timo Sirainen
http://dovecot.org/releases/1.1/rc/dovecot-1.1.rc6.tar.gz
http://dovecot.org/releases/1.1/rc/dovecot-1.1.rc6.tar.gz.sig

This is it. The first v1.1 release that actually deserves the "release
candidate" name. It contains everything I require from v1.1.0 release.
There are two bugs left that I'd like to get fixed, but they won't block
v1.1.0 release:

 * index_mailbox_set_recent_uid() assert (reported by Diego Liziero)
 * Maildir not always finding new messages and returning them as empty
(reported by Anders).

The major change in v1.1.rc6 release is the SORT indexing half-rewrite.
I hadn't much stress tested that code before, and once I started I just
kept finding more and more weird bugs and it became extremely difficult
to figure out how to fix them, so I finally decided to just redesign how
it's supposed to work and then implemented that.

The resulting sort code is a lot cleaner and it should also perform
better (although it could still be improved a bit: the basic binary
searching could be replaced with one that first binary searches between
already-looked-up sort-strings and only after that binary searches the
resulting space which requires slower sort-string lookups). Hopefully
there are also no stupid bugs left like returning messages in wrong sort
order. :)

I've been wasting time this past week getting new stuff for my new
apartment, but that's nearly done now. I think (hope) I'm going to be
more productive in here, there are less neighbours behind walls/floors
(just 1), so less potential for annoying noises. :) Thinking also seems
to work better when there's more space to walk around.

And finally, the changes since v1.1.rc5:

        * Index file format changed a bit. If an older Dovecot v1.1 reads
          index files updated by rc6+, they may give "Invalid header record
          size" or "ext reset: invalid record size" warnings. v1.0 won't give
          these errors.
        * IMAP: LIST .. RETURN (X-STATUS) command return now LIST entries
          before STATUS entries.
        * zlib plugin: Uncompress if the message begins with zlib header
          instead of looking at the 'Z' flag. This fixes copying with hard
          links. Based on a patch by Richard Platel.

        + IMAP: SORT index handling code was half-rewritten to fix several bugs
          when multiple sessions were sorting at the same time. The new code is
          hopefully also faster.
        + Maildir: If POP3 UIDL extra field is found from dovecot-uidlist,
          it's used instead of the default UIDL format (or X-UIDL: header).
          This allows easily preserving UIDLs when migrating from other POP3
          servers. Patch by Nicholas Von Hollen @ Mailtrust.
        + Maildir: ,W=<vsize> is now always added to maildir filenames
        + deliver: Avoid reading dovecot-uidlist's contents if possible.
        + Added %T modifier = Trim whitespace from end of string
        - IMAP: Fixed some bugs in LIST-EXTENDED implementation.
        - IMAP: If client tries to change the selected mailbox state while
          another command is still running, wait until the command is finished.
          This fixes some crashes and other unwanted behavior.
        - allow_nets userdb setting was broken with big endian CPUs

Re: v1.1.rc6 released - not working

Marc Perkel
Hi Timo,

I had just tested rc5 today and it didn't work for me. So I just
downloaded rc6 and same problem. Here's what I'm seeing in the log.

dovecot: May 29 19:10:10 Error: IMAP([hidden email]):
mail_location: maildir: Unknown setting:
dovecot: May 29 19:10:10 Fatal: IMAP([hidden email]):
Namespace initialization failed
dovecot: May 29 19:10:10 Error: IMAP([hidden email]): mail_location:
maildir: Unknown setting:
dovecot: May 29 19:10:10 Fatal: IMAP([hidden email]): Namespace
initialization failed
dovecot: May 29 19:10:10 Info: imap-login: Login:
user=<[hidden email]>, method=PLAIN, rip=24.143.247.50,
lip=65.49.42.45, TLS
dovecot: May 29 19:10:10 Error: IMAP([hidden email]):
mail_location: maildir: Unknown setting:
dovecot: May 29 19:10:10 Fatal: IMAP([hidden email]):
Namespace initialization failed

mail_location = maildir:/vhome/%d/home/%n::INDEX=/nobackup/imap-cache/%d-%n

If this isn't a compatible setting then it should be documented here.

http://wiki.dovecot.org/Upgrading/1.1

I was going to give the passwd-file authentication a test s that I know
that it works with my weird configuration.

On May 30, 2008, at 5:15 AM, Marc Perkel wrote:

> I had just tested rc5 today and it didn't work for me. So I just
> downloaded rc6 and same problem. Here's what I'm seeing in the log.
>
> dovecot: May 29 19:10:10 Error: IMAP([hidden email]):
> mail_location: maildir: Unknown setting:
> dovecot: May 29 19:10:10 Fatal: IMAP([hidden email]):
> Namespace initialization failed
> dovecot: May 29 19:10:10 Error: IMAP([hidden email]):
> mail_location: maildir: Unknown setting:
> dovecot: May 29 19:10:10 Fatal: IMAP([hidden email]): Namespace
> initialization failed
> dovecot: May 29 19:10:10 Info: imap-login: Login: user=<[hidden email]
> >, method=PLAIN, rip=24.143.247.50, lip=65.49.42.45, TLS
> dovecot: May 29 19:10:10 Error: IMAP([hidden email]):
> mail_location: maildir: Unknown setting:
> dovecot: May 29 19:10:10 Fatal: IMAP([hidden email]):
> Namespace initialization failed
>
> mail_location = maildir:/vhome/%d/home/%n::INDEX=/nobackup/imap-
> cache/%d-%n
You've :: in the middle, which is most likely causing it. I can't
think of anything I've done since rc5 that would have touched that
part of the code though.

PGP.sig (201 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: v1.1.rc6 released - works!!

Marc Perkel
Thanks - that fixed it. It appears to be working but I'm scream testing
it. If my phone starts ringing then it's broken. :)

Timo Sirainen wrote:

> On May 30, 2008, at 5:15 AM, Marc Perkel wrote:
>
>> I had just tested rc5 today and it didn't work for me. So I just
>> downloaded rc6 and same problem. Here's what I'm seeing in the log.
>>
>> dovecot: May 29 19:10:10 Error: IMAP([hidden email]):
>> mail_location: maildir: Unknown setting:
>> dovecot: May 29 19:10:10 Fatal: IMAP([hidden email]):
>> Namespace initialization failed
>> dovecot: May 29 19:10:10 Error: IMAP([hidden email]): mail_location:
>> maildir: Unknown setting:
>> dovecot: May 29 19:10:10 Fatal: IMAP([hidden email]): Namespace
>> initialization failed
>> dovecot: May 29 19:10:10 Info: imap-login: Login:
>> user=<[hidden email]>, method=PLAIN, rip=24.143.247.50,
>> lip=65.49.42.45, TLS
>> dovecot: May 29 19:10:10 Error: IMAP([hidden email]):
>> mail_location: maildir: Unknown setting:
>> dovecot: May 29 19:10:10 Fatal: IMAP([hidden email]):
>> Namespace initialization failed
>>
>> mail_location =
>> maildir:/vhome/%d/home/%n::INDEX=/nobackup/imap-cache/%d-%n
>
> You've :: in the middle, which is most likely causing it. I can't
> think of anything I've done since rc5 that would have touched that
> part of the code though.

Re: v1.1.rc6 released

Johannes Berg
On Fri, 2008-05-30 at 03:39 +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> http://dovecot.org/releases/1.1/rc/dovecot-1.1.rc6.tar.gz
> http://dovecot.org/releases/1.1/rc/dovecot-1.1.rc6.tar.gz.sig
>
> This is it. The first v1.1 release that actually deserves the "release
> candidate" name. It contains everything I require from v1.1.0 release.

I took the opportunity and made the antispam plugin work, but I only
lightly tested it, I need to review and see if it doesn't leak mail
references/memory.

johannes

Re: v1.1.rc6 released

Juan Asensio Sánchez
Hi

I will try the plugin because i have been who most problems has had.

Regards.

2008/5/30 Johannes Berg <[hidden email]>:

> On Fri, 2008-05-30 at 03:39 +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
>> http://dovecot.org/releases/1.1/rc/dovecot-1.1.rc6.tar.gz
>> http://dovecot.org/releases/1.1/rc/dovecot-1.1.rc6.tar.gz.sig
>>
>> This is it. The first v1.1 release that actually deserves the "release
>> candidate" name. It contains everything I require from v1.1.0 release.
>
> I took the opportunity and made the antispam plugin work, but I only
> lightly tested it, I need to review and see if it doesn't leak mail
> references/memory.
>
> johannes

Re: v1.1.rc6 released (managesieve updated)

Stephan Bosch-2

Re: v1.1.rc6 released (managesieve updated)

Asheesh Laroia
On Fri, 30 May 2008, Stephan Bosch wrote:

> Timo Sirainen schreef:
>> http://dovecot.org/releases/1.1/rc/dovecot-1.1.rc6.tar.gz
>> http://dovecot.org/releases/1.1/rc/dovecot-1.1.rc6.tar.gz.sig
> Previous managesieve wont compile against rc6, so I made a quick new release
> (expecting rc7 to arrive soon):
>
> http://www.rename-it.nl/dovecot/1.1/dovecot-1.1.rc6-managesieve-0.10.2.diff.gz
> http://www.rename-it.nl/dovecot/1.1/dovecot-1.1.rc6-managesieve-0.10.2.diff.gz.sig

Out of curiosity, have you considered maintaining your managesieve work
using a Mercurial branch off Timo's tree?  I think that might be easier
for you, and I think it might make things easier for others using
your patch.

You could use "hg bisect" to find the exact commits of his that break your
patch, which would presumably be nice for you.

And, it would be a nice little application of distributed revision control
that Timo's working with.

As always, thanks for this!

-- Asheesh.

--
Spiritual leadership should remain spiritual leadership and the temporal
power should not become too important in any church.
  -- Eleanor Roosevelt

Asheesh Laroia wrote:

> On Fri, 30 May 2008, Stephan Bosch wrote:
>
>> Timo Sirainen schreef:
>>> http://dovecot.org/releases/1.1/rc/dovecot-1.1.rc6.tar.gz
>>> http://dovecot.org/releases/1.1/rc/dovecot-1.1.rc6.tar.gz.sig
>> Previous managesieve wont compile against rc6, so I made a quick new
>> release (expecting rc7 to arrive soon):
>>
>> http://www.rename-it.nl/dovecot/1.1/dovecot-1.1.rc6-managesieve-0.10.2.diff.gz
>>
>> http://www.rename-it.nl/dovecot/1.1/dovecot-1.1.rc6-managesieve-0.10.2.diff.gz.sig
>>

> Out of curiosity, have you considered maintaining your managesieve
> work using a Mercurial branch off Timo's tree? I think that might be
> easier for you, and I think it might make things easier for others
> using your patch.
>
> You could use "hg bisect" to find the exact commits of his that break
> your patch, which would presumably be nice for you.
>
> And, it would be a nice little application of distributed revision
> control that Timo's working with.
Actually, I am already using mercurial. I use the quilt-like Mercurial
Queues to maintain the patches and the v1.1 managesieve implementation
is a loose repository. However, thus far I did not publish the
repositories because the new (highly experimental) Sieve implementation
is located there as well. I'll equip the Sieve implementation with some
extra documentation and warnings to prevent people from installing this
work-in-progress on production systems and then I'll give you the public
hg url. So, as a bonus you can then get a sneak peak into my progress
towards a first release of the new Sieve implementation.

Regards,

Stephan.